The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 3 of 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 21, 2008
The "Business Plot" (also the Plot Against FDR and the White House Putsch) was an alleged political conspiracy in 1933 wherein wealthy businessmen and corporations plotted a coup détat to overthrow United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1934, the Business Plot was publicly revealed by retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler testifying to the McCormack-Dickstein Congressional Committee. In his testimony, Butler claimed that a group of men had approached him as part of a plot to overthrow Roosevelt in a military coup. One of the alleged plotters, Gerald MacGuire, vehemently denied any such plot. In their final report, the Congressional committee supported Butler's allegations of the existence of the plot, but no prosecutions or further investigations followed, and the matter was mostly forgotten.
On July 17, 1932, thousands of World War I veterans converged on Washington, D.C., set up tent camps, and demanded immediate payment of bonuses due them according to the Adjusted Service Certificate Law of 1924. This "Bonus Army" was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant. The Army was encouraged by an appearance from retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler, who had considerable influence over the veterans, being one of the most popular military figures of the time. A few days after Butler's arrival, President Herbert Hoover ordered the marchers removed, and their camps were destroyed by US Army cavalry troops under the command of General Douglas MacArthur.
Butler, although a self-described Republican, responded by supporting Roosevelt in that year's election.
In a 1995 History Today article Clayton Cramer argued that the devastation of the Great Depression had caused many Americans to question the foundations of liberal democracy. "Many traditionalists, here and in Europe, toyed with the ideas of Fascism and National Socialism; many liberals dallied with Socialism and Communism." Cramer argues that this explains why some American business leaders viewed fascism as a viable system to both preserve their interests and end the economic woes of the Depression.
***audio is available for free using Realplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/d...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:58 Stuff They Don't Want You To Know - Orgone Energyby HowStuffWorks Featured 210,515
- 9:58 The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 1 of 3by ThisWeekInFascism85,084 views
- 3:04 Fascism and Fake Democratsby ThisWeekInFascism10,220 views
- 7:11 Mike Connell Killed. Karl Rove Thrilled?by ThisWeekInFascism33,370 views
- 2:13 Ralph Nader on Smedley Butlerby argusfest3,985 views
- 8:20 The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 2 of 3by ThisWeekInFascism33,917 views
- 10:01 Unexploded Nanothermite Found In WTC Dustby ThisWeekInFascism27,177 views
- 9:29 Iran Contra Coverup: 2 of 8by ThisWeekInFascism48,939 views
- 3:54 Major General Smedley Butler & The Fascist Takeover Of The USA - A Warning From Historyby Wakeymedia357,250 views
- 2:51 Capitalism Died In 1949by ThisWeekInFascism6,562 views
- 9:58 Iran Contra Coverup: 1 of 8by ThisWeekInFascism104,579 views
- 1:11:37 Coup de force 2by Gohou Michel12,522 views
- 10:01 9/11 The Birth of Treasonby 11September200119,231 views
- 9:18 Naomi Wolf Interview on the Alex Jones Show Part 1/3by wbbrwsr13,873 views
- 1:27:12 Gen. Ishaya Bamaiyi opposes Gen. Sanni Abacha Succession Plan - #OputaPanelby OputaPanel9,018 views
- 8:51 Iran Contra Coverup: 3 of 8by ThisWeekInFascism41,531 views
- 4:50 5 Nigerian Heads Who Died in Powerby NewsSourceVideos41,473 views
- 1:18:52 Hassan 2 - l'heure de verité (1989) - INTEGRALE الحسن الثاني, ساعة الحقيقةby حركة شباب تاسع مارس473,451 views
- 39:27 Gen. Diya's Denial of 1997 Coup with his Petition - #Oputa Panelby OputaPanel4,249 views
- 14:39 The Real Story - 1930's White House Coup - 1.movby therealstorysharon909 views
- Loading more suggestions...