Why Obama's Stimulus Failed: A Case Study of Silver Spring, Maryland
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 8, 2011
High, persistent unemployment and a sluggish economy underscore what all but the most-dedicated supporters of Barack Obama know to be true: The president's 2009 stimulus program was a massively expensive bust.
Understanding why the stimulus failed is an important step in understanding how the government can—and cannot—goose economic recovery. To get a better sense of how and where the stimulus went wrong, Reason.tv focused on Silver Spring, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C., that's home to a large number of government contractors and other recipients of money earmarked for the sorts of "shovel ready" projects that were going to bring the economy back to life.
President Obama's top economic advisor Larry Summers laid out ground rules for how stimulus dollars should be spent: The funds must be "targeted" at resources idled by the recession, the interventions must be "temporary," and they needed to "timely," or injected quickly into the economy.
None of that turned out to be true. "Even if you were to believe that government spending can trigger economic growth," says Veronique de Rugy, Reason columnist and senior research fellow at the Mercatus Center, "the money is never spent in a way that's consistent with the conditions laid out by the Keynesians for it to be efficient."
Reason.tv identified four basic ways in which the stimulus was doomed almost before it was put into operation. For the full discussion of those areas and links to supporting data, go to http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/08/why...
Written and produced by Jim Epstein, who also narrates.
Approximately 8 minutes.
Go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions and detailed links and text. Also subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTVFeatured 20,533
- 6:33 Thomas Sowell - Obama's Economic Policyby LibertyPen 45,569 views
- 3:10:25 TrentoVision 5.9.13 - Navy SEAL Extortion 17 EXPOSED - Obama Failuresby theunitedwest 181,809 views
- 2:12 Obama - one term proposition, EPIC FAILUREby bctvguy 38,313 views
- 14:55 Milton Friedman - Stimulus and Inflationby LibertyPen 15,686 views
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 3,861 videos1
- 6:35 Afterburner with Bill Whittle: Three Years Under Obamaby Pajamasmedia 87,198 views
- 8:26 The Government's War on Cameras!by ReasonTV 177,199 views
- 5:08 Confirmed: Obama's Birth Certificate Not Authentic 2012by StephenHannardADGUK 1,572,882 views
- 3:33 3 Reasons We Shouldn't Bail Out Student Loan Borrowersby ReasonTV 56,940 views
- 1:01 The Obama Experiment Has FAILEDby ObamaWorstPOTUSEver 2,214 views
- 0:21 Obama Admits He is an Un-Electable Economic Failureby VotingFemale 1,319 views
- 7:12 Why Obamacare is "the Most Important Case" in 50 Years: Q&A with Timothy Sandefur of PLFby ReasonTV 43,025 views
- 6:38 Judge Napolitano on the 2012 Election, Obamacare, and The Future of Libertyby ReasonTV 46,653 views
- 5:38 Industry Watch: South American Silver unveiling new Drill Program in Chileby EvenKeelMedia 8,653 views
- 15:33 Why The Future Is Better Than You Thinkby ReasonTV 54,589 views
- 35:27 John Stossel on the Media, Liberty, and Why He Doesn't Miss Working for ABCby ReasonTV 20,084 views
- 6:04 What We Saw at the Occupy Wall Street Protestby ReasonTV 178,693 views
- 1:48 There Are No Ideas Beyond Questionby FloatingUniversity 749 views
- 0:44 Obama: Shovel-Ready Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expectedby ThinkFY 14,353 views
- 1:41 Former Obama WH Economist: Unemployment Won't Drop Below 8% Before End of 2012by CNSNews 3,539 views
- Loading more suggestions...