Xbox 360 Heat Gun Reflow - RRoD Repair
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 29, 2010
If you benefited from this video and use bitcoins, please consider donating any amount to 1GfMWhREmpYaYZELJ1ruyi3ymnSQqoomat
This is the method I use to reflow an xbox 360. I bought a wagner 1000 heat gun for $20 from the paint department at walmart. It has two temperature settings: 750 and 1000 degrees fahrenheit which is certainly enough and gives you an actual reflow compared to the "overheat method" used by most x-clamp fix tutorials. If you've done an x-clamp fix and still have a red ring this is why.
After removing x-clamps and heatshinks and thoroughly cleaning both cpu and gpu of all the thermal paste, do 1 minute on the low setting over the entire bottom of the board (about a fist-length away). Then flip to the top and heatgun the cpu, gpu, ram, southbridge and hana on high for 4 minutes. Then let the system sit for 30+ minutes. Be sure not to move the system in any way while it's cooling!
After the system has cooled, apply fresh thermal paste and re-apply your x-clamp fixes. The screws I use have a 2mm head so when I use a 1mm thick #10 nylon washer this gives me 3mm total, which is the same height as the standoffs around the chassis. This means drilling is not necessary as your motherboard will be flat and even with the standoffs. Do not use 2mm worth of washers on the bottom! On the top between the heatsink and motherboard you do need to use 2mm worth of washers. Tighten down well but you dont have to torque them down as hard as you can!
In this way you can have your solder fixed as well has having your motherboard lay flat without flexing. I've fixed many systems using this method with a very high rate of success on 1 and 3 red ring errors (and no video) related to broken solder caused by x-clamp flexing. Hopefully it works for you, good luck!
Edit: Some additional tips to help this last longer. You can flush underneath the chips with 91% alcohol, then after all the crap is flushed out, flush again with kester 951 liquid flux (do not use plumber's flux!). There's a video on youtube that shows how to apply the flux. After reflowing after using liquid flux the bond will be much stronger. Make sure you've done your x-clamp fix properly, we know the x-clamp is part of the problem so not fixing it properly doesn't help anything. Either use the method in my description or a professional kit, I wouldnt trust a generic "washers and bolt" bundle on ebay. Leave the 360 laying flat, this helps support the motherboard evenly as well as providing better airflow due to one of the air intakes not being blocked. Lastly, I've had 3 systems 0102 red ring for the first time (prior to this or any fix) watching movies, both video files and DVDs. Not sure why the 360 has difficulty with videos but I'm not watching any more on my 360s again.
Standard YouTube License
- 39:51 Proper Fix XBox 360 RROD FULL VIDEOby Rob Papallo68,667 views
- 9:50 Heatgun Reflowby TheXboxGuy26935,159 views
- 6:41 How to Fix Your Xbox 360 Using The Heat Gun Technique - Easy/Best Method...by TripAcesFull66,575 views
- 9:07 Reflowing a Xbox 360 with a Red Ring of Deathby Jonathan Sexton16,475 views
- 9:47 XBOX 360 The new Ring of death fix. Fry it!by afterxleep177,073 views
- 5:10 Xbox 360 RROD Blowtorch Fix ( error 0110 )by jluoni118,131 views
- 14:53 Xbox GPU Fix E74 Part 2by FixMyGPU84,290 views
- 3 videos Play all reflow southbridge chipby triton17max
- 23:24 Xbox 360 RROD 0102 FIX Repairby Basdator28,880 views
- 9:06 XBox 360 GPU permanent reflowby Joe Howard128,289 views
- 7:23 How To Repair XBox 360 - Simple Long Term Fixby TripAcesFull237,012 views
- 9:51 Xbox 360 ROD FIX: How to Reflow your Xbox in the Ovenby xboxexpertsdotcom43,553 views
- 13:27 Red Ring Of Death FIX Tutorial Xbox 360by Teamheadkick694,634 views
- 13:07 XBOX 360 3 Red Ring Fix (EASY)by fluiditystudio227,696 views
- 10:11 XBOX 360 RROD Ultimate Hybrid Fix Part 2 DIYby GamerGuy5127,710 views
- 7:56 How To Replace The LEDs On An Xbox 360 Controller - Part 1 - By MyCustomXboxby MyCustomXbox165,823 views
- 6:53 How To Clean The Xbox 360 Heat Sinks - Repair Tutorial - Best Methodby TripAcesFull83,014 views
- 5:51 How To Reset Your Xbox 360 - Not Towel Trick - Way Better!!!by TripAcesFull1,376,382 views
- 8:52 XBOX 360 Repair Guide - #3 Installing the X-Clamp Kitby Xbox360Fix700,520 views
- 5:39 Hot air gun reflow soldering, atmega128Lby Rob Morrow216,898 views