This video is unavailable.
Review & Rating: Attack of the Mutant Penguins: Jaguar
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 27, 2011
full-game analysis...no emulators...no fanboyism...rating based on fun...multiplayer rated separately...full details of my rating system below
The rating in the video reflects, in my opinion, how fun the game is compared to ALL other video games. I make every effort to understand how the game is played and try my best to complete it.
I do NOT consider the following when assigning the rating: nostalgia (ex., no bump in score because the game reminds me of childhood), sales figures, arcade faithfulness, time of release (ex., no bump in score because it was "good for its time"), fanboyish views of the gaming companies, developer resources (ex., no bump in score because it's a home brew), or how the game affected the industry (ex., no bump in score for being the first platformer). The game is either fun or it's not.
Small note: Kids games are judged with an adult mindset.
I use a "true" 10-point scale for rating the fun. This means I use the ENTIRE scale, and the scores are evenly distributed.
Essentially, if I had enough time to rate EVERY game out there, 10% of games would have a 1, another 10% would have a 2, and so on.
Here's another way of looking at it. All the games in the world can be grouped into ten, same-sized piles. The least fun games go into Pile 1, the most fun games go in Pile 10, etc. So my 1 to 10 rating is simply stating which pile that particular game would go in.
This concept assures that I am using the entire scale. Many other video game magazines and sites say they use a ten-point scale, but neglect to use the entire scale. Typically, they avoid 1, 2, and 3, and overuse 7 and 8. If the entire scale is being used, then the average score should be a 5, assuming that the entity has reviewed a large number of randomly selected games.
A possible reason for the misuse of such scales comes from the school systems we all grow up around. In America, a 50% in school means you get an F, which means Fail. In a true 10-point scale however, a 5 out of 10 isn't a fail, it is average. They are two totally different scales, but I think people have trouble making the separation between the two.
To further clarify my scale (both for myself and my viewers) I have assigned a description for each point on the scale:
10 ... The top 10% when it comes to fun. Games with this score are NOT flawless (no game is). The fun level completely overruns any perceived flaws. These games can be busted out years later, and still be fun.
9 ... Games that are way above average and highly recommended. Good enough to play again one day.
8 ... Still recommended, but with some concerns. Something may be holding them back from being in the top tier of games. These games are fun enough to be played again.
7 ... Probably enjoyable to most of the gaming population. These games are fun enough to be played again after enough time has passed.
6 .... Just above average in terms of fun. These games have a good thing going which may not be brought all the way to fruition. Definitely worth a try for most people.
5 ... Average in terms of fun. Games with this score contain enough fun to justify at least one playthrough.
4 .... These games fall just below average. There are things that are likable about these games, and people with specific tastes will be able to enjoy them. Not good enough to be played again though.
3 ... This is the point of the scale where "avoid" starts to be used. There are too many flaws, or perhaps one gigantic flaw, such as "boring gameplay."
2 ... These games are flawed, but something in them saves them from being the absolute worst.
1 ... The bottom 10%. These games represent the lowest level of fun you can have in video games.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:46 Gaming Setup Tour: 25 systems all hooked up and ready to playby GamingTheSystemsFeatured 24,159
- 29:08 Atari Jaguar Compilation (158 Games)by 10p6 2,178 views
- 13:47 THE ATARI JAGUAR VIDEO GAME SYSTEM (PART1/6) - a review by the RETRO GAMBLERby gerion79 2,458 views
- 2:04 20 Games That Defined The Atari Jaguarby applemctom 34,305 views
- 14:04 James and Mike Play: Atari Jaguar CDby Cinemassacre 801,151 views
- 29:08 Atari Jaguar - Infomercialby Sh00Boxx 2,380 views
- 11:07 Super Pitfall - Angry Video Game Nerdby Cinemassacre 1,968,857 views
- 9:35 Atari Game Commercials 1980 to 1983 HDby uberretroguy 3,588 views
- 7:36 "Attack of the Mutant Penguins" Atari Jaguarby lukemorse1 7,337 views
- 6:05 Worst Consoles of All Time: #3 Atari Jaguarby Gooch Dooshebag 81,655 views
- 10:29 The Gaming Historian - Sonic The Hedgehog (Part 1)by mcfrosticles 97,620 views
- 4:54 Tales From The Console Graveyard: Atari Jaguarby AttackOfTheShow 30,115 views
- 14:06 SHADOW WAR OF SUCCESSION (3DO) PART 1 - short film and review by the RETRO GAMBLERby gerion79 919 views
- 13:45 THE ATARI JAGUAR VIDEO GAME SYSTEM (PART3/6) - a review by the RETRO GAMBLERby gerion79 1,516 views
- 10:01 Atari Jaguar Console Review & Gamesby MetalJesusRocks 57,557 views
- 13:46 THE ATARI JAGUAR VIDEO GAME SYSTEM (PART4/6) - a review by the RETRO GAMBLERby gerion79 3,546 views
- 2:12:47 Atari Jaguar Longplay  Aliens Vs Predator (Part 1 of 2)by cubex55 27,188 views
- 10:39 Atari 5200 - Angry Video Game Nerdby Cinemassacre 3,838,669 views
- 10:45 James & Mike Play: Odyssey IIby Cinemassacre 288,162 views
- 8:17 NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams Video Review (Wii)by CyborgCommando1980 11,417 views
- Loading more suggestions...