This video is unavailable.
Silk Scarves - Secret History of Silk Scarves
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2011
Get your piece of scarf history at http://www.thaisilkmagic.com/silk-sca...
The simple scarf has a remarkable history that many people may not be aware of. The very first uses of silk scarves are unclear with historians and archaeologists differing in their assessment of the very first use of silk scarves.
Archaeologists believe that the first use of scarves (silk or otherwise) as an adornment was about 2000 years ago. In 1974 there was a discovery of a huge tomb dating back to ancient China about 260 BC. This tomb held more than 7000 Chinese warrior figurines who had pieces of silk cloth wrapped around their necks.
Many historians believe China may well have been the birthplace of the "scarf" but a few centuries later. Around 230 BC the Chinese Emperor Cheng used pieces of silk cloth wrapped around the necks of his warriors to designate rank. His "officer" warriors wore silk scarves and the ordinary rank warriors were issued with cotton scarves.
Ancient Egyptians used scarves as an indication of social status and authority. Ancient drawings show even Queen Nefertiti wearing a scarf under her conically shaped headdress -- ancient writings of the time seemed to indicate that the Queen's scarves were made from silk.
The Roman Empire furthered the tradition of silk scarves which they often wore as a sign of social status either around their necks or their waists. In ancient Rome they used pieces of cloth to clean their faces after exercise and it soon became an essential accessory. These scarves were either tied around their belts or simply hung over their shoulders. The higher social standing Romans preferring silk for their scarves. Can you picture the scenes on the day Julius Caesar was assassinated by the Roman senators -- they were all probably wearing togas and silk scarves.
Even Emperor Nero insisted on wearing silk scarves and he was probably adorned with his favorite as he watched Rome burn to the ground.
As early as the 17th century Croatian soldiers and mercenaries rampaging through Europe wore silk scarves to signify their rank.
Around about the same time there are stories about Napoleon Bonaparte being obsessed with Indian silk scarves and the famous composer, Beethoven who would not consider performing without having his clothing adorned with one of his silk scarves.
By the late 17th century when the Croatian army arrived in Paris as part of their numerous victory celebrations, their soldiers wore scarves as a flamboyant accessory and king Louis 14th was immediately smitten with this type of accessory. He is reported to have created a special royal court position responsible solely for the acquisition and care of the king's royal silk scarves.
During the French revolution of the 18th century massive silk scarves called "incroyables" were all the rage and their very size required special training in order to master the skill of tying and arranging these huge pieces of fabric.
One truly ironic chapter of silk scarves history involved the Emperor of Russia, Pavel the 1st. He disliked scarves intensely and had forbidden them to be worn by anyone in the Russian army. What is fascinating is that Emperor Pavel the 1st was assassinated by being strangled with a forbidden Russian army officer silk scarf.
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the popularity of silk scarves grew rapidly and not just for the privileged higher class.
Today in the early 21st century silk scarves are not only fashionable but also one of the most versatile and enduring clothing accessories for men and women of all ages.
For more information about the best handmade silk scarves available today visit with us at
Standard YouTube License
- 15:01 Jill Kennedy Silk Painting Part 1 of 2by Colouricious 9,499 views
- 9:56 silk painting with salt effectsby askthecrafter 18,229 views
- 9:15 9 Different Silk Scarf Ideasby MichellePhan 2,143,706 views
- 9:12 Silk Top Closure Sew-In without Cutting the Tracksby TT Wells 25,587 views
- 33:23 * Silk Painting with Jill Kennedy - Talking Threadsby Colouricious 15,639 views
- 1:21 Quick Scarf Tying: Silk Feel Squareby AliJBoutique 399,435 views
- 14:54 SILK PAINTING TUTORIALby Jennings644 9,728 views
- 7:13 How to paint on silk using gutta. Hand dyed silk scarf.by sarahsellsunique 28,185 views
- 2:03 Silk Painting with Fiona Stolze - Techniques with Special Effects Brushby Fiona Stolze 11,195 views
- 9:05 Best 9 Ways to Tie a Scarf for Summerby HappyScarf 113,566 views
- 3:12 From cocoon to silkby einthar 73,904 views
- 4:56 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes!by wendyslookbook 18,862,251 views
- 5:43 Silk Painting - painting with the salt technique by Angel of Muse SIlk Paintingsby MuseSilkPaintings 53,558 views
- 2:28 Scarves : How Do I Wear a Silk Scarf Around the Neck?by ehowbeauty 14,992 views
- 6:30 Scarf Tutorial: 12 Different Ways to Wear a Scarfby stylegoose 256,153 views
- 3:21 How To Apply Colours To Silk Scarfby videojugartscrafts 40,219 views
- 6:06 Creating a Silk Base Closure for a DOLLARby theshannankay 15,649 views
- 4:02 Silk Closure Install - Beauty By Mekaby beautybymeka 12,398 views
- 9:29 Silk Scarf Session Part 2 DMRICEARTby Debi Rice 18,235 views
- 4:30 How It's Made Fabricsby Ian Collier 69,997 views
- Loading more suggestions...