NASA | X-ray 'Echoes' Probe Habitat of Monster Black Hole
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2012
Astronomers using data from the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton satellite have found a long-sought X-ray signal from NGC 4151, a galaxy that contains a supermassive black hole. The discovery promises a new way to unravel what's happening in the neighborhood of these powerful objects. Most big galaxies host a big central black hole containing millions of times the sun's mass. When matter streams toward one of these supermassive black holes, the galaxy's center lights up, emitting billions of times more energy than the sun. For years, astronomers have been monitoring such "active galactic nuclei" (AGN) to better understand what happens on the brink of a monster black hole.
Matter falling toward a black hole collects into a rotating disk, where it becomes compressed and heated before eventually spilling over the black hole's event horizon, the point beyond which nothing can escape and astronomers cannot observe. A mysterious and intense X-ray source near the black hole shines onto the surface layers of the accretion disk, causing iron atoms to radiate characteristic emission -- what astronomers call the iron K line -- at about 6,000 to 7,000 electron volts. The inner part of the disk is orbiting the black hole so fast that the effects of Einstein's relativity come into play -- most notably, how time slows down close to the black hole. These relativistic effects broaden and distort the X-ray signal in a unique way. When the X-ray source near NGC 4151's black hole flares up, the accretion disk reflects the emission about half an hour later. Moving at the speed of light, the X-rays associated with the echo must have traveled an additional 400 million miles -- equivalent to about four times Earth's average distance from the sun -- than those that came to us directly from the flare.
Since 2000, XMM-Newton has observed NGC 4151 -- among the brightest AGN in X-rays -- with an accumulated exposure of about four days. By analyzing all of this data, a team led by Abderahmen Zoghbi at the University of Maryland at College Park uncovered numerous X-ray echoes, demonstrating for the first time that what was expected from theory really occurred in nature. Amazingly, the extreme environment at the heart of NGC 4151 is built on a scale comparable to our own solar system. If we replaced the sun with the black hole, the event horizon would extend less than halfway to Earth if the black hole spins rapidly; slower spin would result in a larger horizon. The X-ray source would hover above the black hole and its accretion disk at a distance similar to that between the sun and the middle of the asteroid belt.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a010000/...
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 24:59 The Largest Black Holes in the Universeby SpaceRipFeatured 1,141,932
- 3:06 NASA | Take a "Swift" Tour of the Andromeda Galaxyby NASAexplorer 307,987 views
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASAexplorer 3,018,555 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASAexplorer 817,924 views
- 2:46 NASA | Incandescent Sunby NASAexplorer 196,392 views
- 2:44 What's Inside a Black Hole?by SpaceRip 1,740,385 views
- 4:42 Документальные съемки НЛО с борта косм.аппаратов NASAby malsagoff 2,798,428 views
- 0:56 NASA spotted Gigantic Sphere near Sun while reflecting Solar Eruption -- May 25, 2012.mp4by EriGIA007 73,897 views
- 49:48 Гигантская черная дыра(Monster Black Hole)by 449serge 267,839 views
- 2:09 What NASA is hiding from the world!!! Real!!by islandcoconutnut 7,238,950 views
- 21:50 Mysterious Black Holesby SpaceRip 1,026,240 views
- 1:30 Black Hole Caught Killing Star (And Eating It For Lunch)by VideoFromSpace 221,468 views
- 3:47 The View from Space - Countries and Coastlinesby SpaceRip 846,133 views
- 20:09 Supermassive Black Hole in the Milky Way Galaxyby SpaceRip 921,761 views
- 2:01 Haunting Images from the Sunby SpaceRip 289,046 views
- 10:00 Aliens in the NASA Archives - More Stunning NASA UFO Anomalies Captured On Filmby LunaCognita 3,337,759 views
- 2:53 Extreme Solar Flaresby SpaceRip 183,559 views
- 56:45 The Ultimate Guide to Black Holesby SuperiorHistory 7,299 views
- 1:45 Venus solar transit 2012 - Transit observersby MysteriesHunter 15,195 views
- 1:45 Black hole destroying a starby SlipknotRevan 2,358,292 views
- Loading more suggestions...