Building and Nurturing Communities for Positive Change - Christian Busch at TEDxMiltonKeynes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 12, 2012
In this talk, Christian looks into how communities can generate, nurture, and accelerate ideas and positive change. Based on his experiences at community-driven accelerator Sandbox, as well as his research at the LSE's Innovation and Co-Creation Lab, he will explore what makes some communities more successful than others in supporting individuals and collectives. He argues that a new articulation of needs, from 'Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs' to a 'Lateral Cycle of Needs', as well as new technology supporting governance mechanisms such as lateral accountability, will help define how we think about communities and how to reach their respective goals. He argues that facilitating an enlightened self-interest of members, as well as a focus on meaningful relationships (rather than transactions) will not only help us build more impactful communities, but also result in an "enlightened self-interest model of capitalism".
Christian Busch is the Associate Director at the London School of Economics' Innovation and Co-Creation Lab. He is also the cofounder of Sandbox, a leading incubator supporting outstanding young innovators around the world.
Christian's academic interests lie in the areas of entrepreneurship, social entrepreneurship, social networks, and business model innovation at the Base of the Pyramid, and he teaches several related courses at the LSE. He serves on several committees and boards, has been named as one of JCI London's "Ten Outstanding Young Persons", and is a Global Shaper at the World Economic Forum (WEF), a TEDster, and a fellow at the Royal Society of Arts (RSA). He frequently speaks at both academic and practitioner conferences, and his most recent TEDx-talk on "Building and scaling Impact Organizations" can be found here.
Christian holds a BBA in International Management from Furtwangen University, a BSc in Politics and Organization from Hagen University, and an MSc in Management, Organizations, and Governance from the London School of Economics (LSE).
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
Next in TEDxMiltonKeynes 9/22/12
- 17:23 TEDxGoodenoughCollege - Christian Busch - The Emergence of Impact Businessby TEDxTalks6,087 views
- 16:12 TEDxLSE - Christian Busch - Building and Sustaining Impact Organizationsby TEDxTalks1,734 views
- 14:49 Every Child A Talker, Appreciative Inquiry at Work - Robbie Macpherson at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks1,181 views
- 14:14 TEDxVancouver - Shahrzad Rafati - You are what you watchby TEDxTalks165,929 views
- 12:50 Pursuing your geeky project: Emil Johansson at TEDxGöteborgby TEDxTalks14,529 views
- 9:54 Big Brother is Our Best Friend - Steve Manthorp at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks538 views
- 16:43 Why kindness is good for you: Dr. David Hamilton at TEDxHackneyby TEDxTalks16,862 views
- 9:56 Building Community: Jessica Posner at TEDxMileHighby TEDxTalks1,511 views
- 18:07 On building Intentional Communities: Stephen Brooks at TEDxBlackRockCityby TEDxTalks3,175 views
- 11:23 Young Yemenis in the UK Post 9/11 - Gamiel Yafai at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks2,568 views
- 15:03 Sharing Our Communities' Stories - Philippa Tipper at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks422 views
- 18:13 TEDxBucharest - Christian Buschby TEDxTalks685 views
- 10:53 TEDxChCh - Linh Do - Defying Social Norms for Social Changeby TEDxTalks7,963 views
- 15:42 What Makes A Community? - Roger Kitchen at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks1,337 views
- 14:57 Coz We Can, From Beating Bullying to Random Acts of Kindness - Alex Holmes at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks634 views
- 13:25 Promoting and Growing Grassroots Organisations - Dominik Byrne at TEDxMiltonKeynesby TEDxTalks427 views
- 6:21 How Lupang Hinirang ought to be sung: Joey Ayala at TEDxDilimanby TEDxTalks901,204 views