N64 Underrated Gem: Mischief Makers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 25, 2010
This is a series of gameplay vids I'm doing highlighting overlooked games for the various consoles I own.
Mischief Makers comes from Treasure who are one of the most celebrated Japanese designers. They brought us games like Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Guardian Heroes, Sin and Punishment, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and even Mischief Makers.
I have noticed that Mischief Makers has gotten more attention lately, but, when it hit, it got almost no attention at all. In fact, almost all of Treasure's games are like that. Even Gunstar Heroes was almost unheard of, and has only recently become popular in the mainstream.
Mischief Makers is a very well designed 2D platformer game. The mane catch of the game revolves around Marina's ability to grab, shake, and throw things. It sounds simple, but the developers took that simple concept and made, in my opinion, the best N64 2D sidescroller there is hands down. This just isn't one of the best sidescrollers, it's actually one of the best games on the system.
It's just a well designed platformer with simple controls, and a good amount of variety. However, just because the game is easy to get the hang of, does not mean the game is an easy game. It has a good challenge level to it. It's not overwhelming, but there are some pretty tough parts. The boss fights, in particular, are no picnic.
The only really bad thing I can say is the game isn't that long, but it's challenging enough at times, and has enough variety to keep you playing for a while. Also, some gamers out there my be put of by the seemingly cutesy look of the game. To them, I quote those old Sprite commercials, "Image is nothing. Obey your thirst." That is to say, don't let the cutsey look keep you from enjoying such a well made game.
Overall, Mischief Makers is a charming, and well made 2D platformer on the N64. Don't let the kiddie looks fool you, this game has it in the gameplay department, and is one of my favorite N64 games. This is a perfect example of why we love Treasure.
Mischief Makers is only available on the N64. I don't know if this has hit the Virtual Console yet, but it definitely needs to.
Standard YouTube License
- 18:54 Let's Play Mischief Makers - #1. Shaking Things Upby SlimKirby Featured 11,069
- 20:44 Top 15 Underrated N64 Games!!!by ShadowRavenGaming23,800 views
- 10:50 Lets Play Mischief Makers Part 1 - The Beginningby OriginalDudeboy4,657 views
- 8:35 The Top 5 Underrated N64 Gamesby Seven Does It36,604 views
- 25:01 Every Nintendo 64 Game in One Videoby Swordless Link297,488 views
- 9:51 Top Ten Nintendo 64 Gamesby Fawfuls Minion129,960 views
- 12:35 Mischief Makers (N64) - Continue? featuring Chris "Kirbopher" Niosiby Continue?135,574 views
- 1:19 Mischief Makers - Hey Ash Whatcha Playin'?by HAWPOfficial136,723 views
- 44:24 Mischief Makers - 100% Playthrough (5/5)by Seahawk00273,418 views
- 1:07:28 Mischief Makers Speedrun in 1:01:01 by PEACHES_ (*Live at AGDQ 2013*) [N64]by SpeedDemosArchiveSDA13,475 views
- 43:42 Mischief Makers - 100% Playthrough (3/5)by Seahawk00279,515 views
- 14:59 My Top 10 Most Underrated Video Games(Updated list soon!)by SaiyanGoku90014,501 views
- 9:39 My Top 20 Favorite Nintendo 64 Games (Part 1 of 2)by PeteDorr235,706 views
- 20:55 TAS Super Mario 64 N64 in 15:35 by Rikkuby WebNations30,709,508 views
- 5:05 Mace The Dark Age N64 - Fatalitysby UnderGroundGamers187,879 views
- 10:00 My Top 20 Favorite Nintendo 64 Games (Part 2 of 2)by PeteDorr147,906 views
- 3:27 Mischief Makers Final Battleby Austichar17,252 views
- 1:55:11 Super Mario 64 (N64) 120 star Speed run 1:49:49by Elmo Nitoushin8,138,874 views
- 26:52 Mischief Makers - 100% Playthrough (1/5)by Seahawk00279,389 views
- 48:22 N64 Super Mario 64 "70 Stars BLJless" in 42:58:52by sonicpacker1,696,870 views
- Loading more suggestions...