Bright Eyes "Road To Joy" [live]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 18, 2008
Artist: Bright Eyes
Song: Road To Joy [live]
Album: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning 
Director: The Late Late Show
Genre: Alternative, Folk, Indie, Emo, Post-rock
Additional: Live performance followed by interview by Craig Ferguson.
Bright Eyes is the main project of American singer-songwriter/guitarist Conor Oberst. Bright Eyes also features multi-instrumentalist/producer Mike Mogis, keyboard player Nate Walcott and a rotating lineup of collaborators drawn primarily from Omaha, Nebraskas indie music scene. Conor Oberst has been recording music since the age of 13. He released his first two albums at the age of 14 with a band called Commander Venus. After the break-up of this band in 1997, Conors main focus became Bright Eyes, and in 1998 he released the first Bright Eyes album, A Collection of Songs Written and Recorded 1995-1997(a collection of 20 stockpiled songs) on the independent label saddle creek Records, which he had co-formed earlier in collaboration with fellow local Omaha musicians.
Saddle Creek also put forth Letting Off the Happiness in November 1998, a ten track piece that boasted a much more focused and clear sound than the previous album. According to the Saddle Creek press release, it features members of Lullaby for the Working Class, Neutral Milk Hotel, and of Montreal. It was predominantly recorded in the Oberst family basement in Omaha on an analog eight track reel to reel; with some work also done at keyboardist Andy Lemasters Athens, GA studio. Although almost all of the tracks feature a full band, June on the West Coast is performed with only acoustic guitar and vocals. Padraic My Prince gives a dramatic fictional account of the death of Obersts baby brother, used as an analogy for being dumped.
In 2000 Bright Eyes released Fevers and Mirrors, a demonstration of the immense improvement in production quality and musical vision of the band. New instruments such as flute, piano, and accordion were introduced into the song arrangements. After An Attempt to Tip the Scales, a mock radio interview takes place. The mock radio interview features Todd Fink of The Faint doing an impression of Conor Oberst while reading a script that Oberst wrote. The man interviewing is Matt Silcock, a former member of Lullaby for the Working Class. In this interview, the fake Oberst intentionally presents a strange, contradictory explanation of his attitude towards his music. The interview acknowledges criticisms of his lyrics as overblown and insincere, which had begun to appear as the popularity of the band increased, but responds by stating that the lyrics are meant for personal interpretation. In a real interview with KittyMagik.com, Oberst stated about the mock one: It was a way to make fun of ourselves because the record is such a downer. I mean, thats one part of who I am, but I also like laughing and fucking around.
2002 saw the release of Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground, and since then Oberst has released an almost constant stream of new material on collaborative EPs, split singles, tribute albums, and charity records. He ventured into the studio with Nebraska folk-pop outfit Tilly and the Wall, co-producing their debut album Wild Like Children and released it on his newly established record label, Team Love.
January 2005 saw the release of two albums: Im Wide Awake, Its Morning, which is a country-tinged mélange of Conors finest acoustic songs, featuring guest vocal appearances from Emmylou Harris and Jim James of My Morning Jacket and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, which is a more produced, band-centric album featuring cameo appearances by Nick Zinner of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
One single from each album, PlayTake It Easy (Love Nothing) from Digital Ash and PlayLua from Im Wide Awake took the top two slots on Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart, the first time for any artist since 1997.
As had become expected of Bright Eyes recordings, the albums feature an array of talented comrades including bandmembers of Rilo Kiley, Tilly and the Wall, Cursive, Now Its Overhead, The Good Life, Azure Ray, The Faint, The Bruces, Neva Dinova, The Postal Service and Audrye Sessions.
In October 2006, Bright Eyes released a compilation of rare tracks called Noise Floor: Rarities 1998-2005.
Bright Eyes released a new studio album called Cassadaga on April 9, 2007, preceded by an EP entitled Four Winds on March 6, 2007.
A further 25-30 tracks have been recorded in Portland, Oregon and New York City, with another session planned in Omaha, Nebraska. Some of these tracks have already been performed at live shows.
Standard YouTube License
- 31 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 45:42 Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (full album)by dairylandbogurt's channelFeatured 148,853
- 46:20 Conor Oberst | Newport Folk Festival 2012by Mitch Hardison 35,350 views
- 6:01 Bright Eyes Conor Oberst Interviewby teganansara 36,029 views
- 3:06 Bright Eyes Interviewby teganansara 35,846 views
- 8:40 John Norris Interviews: Conor Oberst Pt. 1by RhapsodyBlog 78,036 views
- 2:50 Regina Spektor "I Want To Sing" [live]by Vaildino 4,987 views
- 32:58 Rare Bright Eyes Show (kcrw)by Kaidesh 139,135 views
- 2:01 Bright Eyes (Conor Oberst) Interview at Glastonbury, 2007by teganansara 19,352 views
- 3:09 Bright eyes - At the bottom of everything (Live Kilborn)by xkatot 200,430 views
- 3:45 Bright Eyes - Hot Knives (Live Letterman 2007) high qualityby noonerofl 46,127 views
- 2:46 Bright Eyes Behind The scenes AOL sessionby tyrannized 29,962 views
- 4:42 Bright Eyes - Road To Joy (Live @ SXSW 2011) HD 10 of 10by ThatTristanJohn 20,009 views
- 5:55 "Road To Joy" Bright Eyes at Lollapalooza 8/5/2011by smirkypox 12,106 views
- 4:33 Bright Eyes - Sunrise,Sunsetby gurkmannen37 112,738 views
- 3:36 Bright Eyes - Sing, Sing, Sing (Live on the Late Late Show)by vodkabreath 200,682 views
- 2:40 Nardwuar vs Bright Eyes ( Conor Oberst )by tyrannized 28,363 views
- 3:43 Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band - "Spoiled" on Letterman 7/6 (TheAudioPerv.com)by MrSammy1000 58,664 views
- 7:04 Bright Eyes "Waste of Paint" live in Seattleby limpty 24,218 views
- 7:40 Bright Eyes - Conor and Mike Mogis Interviewby HerrAmn 134,708 views
- 4:25 Bright eyes Luaby daisydooo57 1,493,610 views
- Loading more suggestions...