Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 14, 2013
Phailin's Trail of Impact
Seventeen persons were killed as the very severe cyclonic storm, Phailin, hit the Odisha coast near Gopalpur in Ganjam district late on Saturday evening, Special Relief Commissioner P.K. Mohapatra stated this morning.
More than 1.26 crore people were hit by the cyclone that damaged lakhs of thatched and kutcha houses in the coastal districts. Ganjam district was the worst hit. Six persons were killed in Ganjam while three each were killed in Puri and Balasore districts, two in Nayagarh and one each in Jagatsinghpur, Khurda and Bhadrak. The death toll was likely to increase. Most of these deaths occurred following uprooting of trees. Electricity supply was badly affected in most of the affected areas. Power supply was likely to resume in a day or two.
There are some relief camps set up in schools that have been stranded without food supplies for the past 3 days. They are continuously demanding for food and medicines but no govt official is responding to their call and demand . Despite giving several calls to the District Magistrate emergency sections, no food supply has been assured for them.
According to preliminary estimates, about 14,500 villages in 1,900 gram panchayats in 99 blocks had been affected. The storm had also its impact on 39 urban local bodies in the region. The cyclone has damaged five lakh hectares of crops.
There is huge loss to agricultural crops and kutcha houses.
The mud houses with thatched or asbestos sheeting have been completely damaged.
There is partial damage to some pucca houses as well. The estimated house loss stands at 200,000 to 350,000.
There is no information available on livestock loss.
People have started slowly moving back to the villages from cyclone shelters. The water has entered in many villages leading to water logging conditions with possible water sanitation issues. The normal practice is open defecation but there is hardly any land available for defecation.
The IAG has been meeting every day. There would be a joint assessment of INGOS organized. Each of the NGOs would take lead in different sectors and in different districts.
Odisha, the authorities set up 1,073 relief camps to house people who had been evacuated or had lost their homes. In Andhra Pradesh, 135 such camps were opened. In Odisha alone, an unprecedented 873,000 people were escorted to the safety of inland buildings that could withstand ferocious c yclonic winds. Another 129,000 people were evacuated in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh. Around 2,300 personnel of NDRF were pressed into action to help the two state governments in the evacuation.
CARITAS INDIA INTERVENTION
Caritas India team is present in Srikakulam, Vishakapatnam, Behrampur and Balasore collecting information with regards to damage and impact of Cyclone Phailin. Most of the villages along the coastline of Odisha,that were in the pathway of Cyclone Phailin have been severely damaged.
Caritas India has deployed 5 personnel at the ground to gather updates and help the local partners in assessing the situation. We are currently positioned in Puri, Berhampur, Srikakulam and Vishakapatnam.
In Andhra Pradesh, while Vishakapatnam has borne less impact with few villages affected, Srikakulam seems to be badly damaged with heavy rain and strong winds still swirling the whole of October 13th. Our ground personnel mentioned that a majority of the impact is on property, assets, telecommunications and the disruption of the natural environs of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
Due to heavy rains, at least four districts—Jajpur, Bhadrak, Ganjam and Nayagarh—are facing threat from floods.
One of the prime concern is the availability of potable water. Efforts are being taken to get in touch with laboratory testing units, to ensure additional outbreaks of vector-borne diseases can be controlled.
Also with people now moving back to their villages, gathering damage data is getting difficult.
With electricity down, movement is quite restricted as dusk settles in.
Standard YouTube License
- 47:10 The Great Odisha Political Circus With Sulagna - May 2013 full episodeby Ama Odisha2,680 views
- 44:36 ଦେବଭୂମି ଓଡ଼ିଶା (Odisha - The Divine Land)by The Rising Tux15,555 views
- 22:43 Orissaby The Other Home12,544 views
- 13:32 Phailin hits Gopalpur at 260 kmph, 5.25 lakh evacuated from Odisha and Andhra Pradeshby newsxlive714 views
- 8:22 Highwaymen taste the best of street food in Odishaby ndtvgoodtimes4,783 views
- 15:09 India braces for super stormby NDTV10,135 views
- 2:19 Peace Education by Caritas Indiaby Caritas India
- 4:32 DALAMA OF PURI TEMPLE,ODISHA.(Part-2)by Pravat Kumar Mallick32,864 views
- 5:13 La verdad sobre Teletónby TeletonMexico834,124 views
- 3:04 Cyclone Phailin may hit Odisha, AP coast on Saturday nightby India TV4,833 views
- 11:56 Cyclone Phailin at 150km south-east of Gopalpur, to hit Andhra-Odisha coast at 8pmby sakshitvcom1373 views
- 3:02 Cyclone Phailin crossing Odisha coast near Gopalpurby News 24699 views
- 8:17 Phailin hits Gopalpur's coastal area in Odisha, heavy rainfall reportedby ABP NEWS1,906 views
- 2:21 Bihar Floods 2013 (Caritas India)by Caritas India301 views
- 1:43 One Human Family, Food for All - Indiaby Caritas India
- 12:47 Cyclone Phailin 40 km away from Gopalpur in Odishaby NDTV48,810 views
- 5:28 UPDATED - Cyclone Phailin Hits 90 Lakh People : 23 Dead, Lakhs Of Homes Damagedby WorldNewsLive12,932 views
- 2:31 Phailin Cyclone VS Hurricane Katrina Hits India & America | Typhoon Hits Indonesia 11 October 2013by Aliva Asefed3,316 views
- 3:10 Odisha's Gopalpur Resident Response on Cyclone Phailin - Studio Nby studionchannel688 views
- 0:32 Cyclone Phailin- Relief reponse appeal- Hindiby Save the Children, India769 views
- Loading more suggestions...