Meru Wireless LAN : Connects 2,000 Apple Devices On Campus at Essa Academy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 24, 2012
Meru Networks are proud to be enabling one of Apple's largest deployments with over 2000 mobile devices running over a Meru Network. For more info visit: http://www.merunetworks.com
My name is Abdul Chohan, and I'm a Director at Essa Academy. Our motto is all will succeed, and to make sure that every student has 21st century resources. So moving away from buying mounds of printed textbooks to actually creating our own textbooks. Imagine being in an environment where a student could take a textbook home that's completely personalized for them. They could sit with their parents, flip digital pages over, internet with video, look up content, listen to audio, and be able to interact with that, modify that information, and capture their own learning whilst that is happening.
Each student has been given an iPod Touch, so all in all there's over 1000 iPods within the school. Every member of staff has got an iPad 2. There are some that are in cupboards into the lesson. So there are around 400 plus iPads within the school.
The senior leadership team at Essa had a very, very clear vision. They very much value personalized learning, individual learning opportunities, students not being confined to the classroom, not being confined to the school, and therefore the use of mobile devices and, in the case of Essa, Apple technology was absolutely critical to them.
My name is Neil Willis. I'm Principal here at Longfield Academy. The
Academy is essentially based around an Apple model. We have a number of fixed Apple machines around the Academy within the open plazas and also in small sectional spaces where students can access those higher spec machines to do things, for example, in graphics, in music technology, and in technology itself. The iPad scheme has arisen out of a need to enable each of our students to have anytime, anywhere access.
We use iPads, Apple Mac computers, lots of Apple technology.
Rosie, Year Thirteen Learner: Well, I normally work in The Helix, which is the canteen, and I always have my iPad in there, and the Internet is always really strong and really fast. I use that practically all day, every day. So I find that really good. Then the MacBooks are just everywhere. Although there's so many, they're never
It helps with our lessons to take notes when the teacher is giving a lecture to help you when you do your homework independently. It helps you to take matters into your own hands and go on the Internet and find words that you don't know what they mean, and then research things you don't understand. It makes it easy for you because you have everything in your hands. You don't need big books and you don't need to go to a library all the time.
Now we have got the ability to email our teachers 24/7. It makes it a lot easier for us. So if we're stuck on homework or we're not sure if we need one-to-one tuition at what time, we can just send an email and we can guarantee that the staff will reply to us.
There's a trend within IT at the moment of consumerization and a lot more use of devices you're more likely to see in an Apple store or in a shopping mall or at home. Essa have pretty much taken that technology and deployed it on a enterprise scale across the school.
One of the key aspects around the hardware was to make sure that we had a wireless system that was robust and covered the academy completely. Both in internal and external areas, we've got the student mobile devices that run off there. We've got the portable devices, the iPads that are used in classrooms and by teachers that work off there as well. So this means that actually the wireless network has to be robust. It has to allow access. It has to be seamless, and that's why we went and installed a Meru wireless system.
Simon Thomas, Practice Director, 9ine Consulting: We had a lot of confidence in the Meru Network to deliver for us because we've gone through a lot of due diligence and evaluation. It's safe to say that nothing was on the market could touch Meru. But until we had what we called the next day dawn of the iPad, when all them learners came in, all excited, and connected those devices to our network for the first time, that was the point when it really stood up and showed us what it could deliver. I think it's safe to say when you walk around and see 1000 devices operating seamlessly within the network environment within this school, it shows that technically the solution is working.
Supporting 2000 mobile devices in a very small area is an extremely difficult thing to achieve. With Meru's virtual port technology, the Wi-Fi and the delivery of teaching and learning is completely seamless.
The Meru system allows for this 21st century learning experience, both for students and for staff as well. For that reason, I'm really grateful and extremely happy that we've installed the Meru Solution.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:33 Meru Networks Wireless Virtualization Architecture - Part 1by merunetworks3,980 views
- 7:24 Meru Networks Wireless Virtualization Architecture - Part 3by merunetworks1,699 views
- 37:40 About Wireless Power Transferby vk2zay183,794 views
- 8:33 Essa Academy deploys Meru Networks to support 2000 Apple devicesby Mark Howell1,239 views
- 5:52 Wireless Network Delivers Campus-Wide Wi-Fi for Melbourne Girls Grammar Schoolby merunetworks1,852 views
- 1:06:18 Keerti Melkote of Aruba Networks suggests wireless as a primary network strategyby Stephen Foskett1,789 views
- 3:44 Very High Density Wireless LAN Demonstration for BYOD: #2by merunetworks20,251 views
- 7:27 WLAN: 802.11n Impact - Part 4 - Using the Full Capacityby merunetworks1,869 views
- 6:48 Longfield Academy Adds Campus-Wide WLAN to Improve Learningby merunetworks623 views
- 3:26 Meru Wi-Fi Supports Schools' New Flipped Classroomsby merunetworks1,886 views
- 11:08 Essa Academy - Journey of Life.m4vby Essaacademy5,278 views
- 1:11 WHY can't my Wireless LAN just work? Simplify BYOD Now!by merunetworks4,467 views
- 8:55 Aruba vs. the Competitionby Aruba Networks11,430 views
- 8:58 1.9 Billion Wi-Fi Devices Will Hit Networks by 2014 - Are You Ready?by merunetworks4,109 views
- 6:59 Campus Deploys Full-Coverage Wi-Fi System w/ Fewer Wireless Access Points l University of Sussexby merunetworks966 views
- 4:48 Deploying Wireless LAN w/ Meru Access Points in Hospitalityby merunetworks928 views
- 6:41 5-Star Hotel Deploys Meru WLAN for Guest Wi-Fi, VoIP & Databy merunetworks1,782 views
- 3:11 Essa Academy: Bookless school where everyone has iPadby MrPerfectGuys1,028 views
- 7:16 WLAN Case Study: New Line Learning Federationby merunetworks910 views
- 6:31 Meru Provides Effective Wi-Fi Guest Access at London's Dryland Business Centerby merunetworks701 views
- Loading more suggestions...