Is life really that complex? Hannah Fry at TEDxUCL
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 2, 2012
Hannah Fry trained as a mathematician, and completed her PhD in fluid dynamics in early 2011. After a brief period working as an aerodynamicist in the motorsport industry, she came back to UCL to work on a major interdisciplinary project in complexity science. The project spans several departments, including Mathematics and the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis, and focuses on understanding global social systems -- such as Trade, Migration and Security. Hannah's research interests revolve around creating new mathematical techniques to study these systems, with recent work including studies of the London Riots and Consumer Behaviour.
Talk: Is life really that complex?
Recently scientists have begun to appreciate that many of the mechanisms inherent in our social systems have analogies in seemingly unrelated problems. The movement of a crowd, for instance, can be understood using techniques traditionally applied to the flow of a fluid, and the uptake of a new technology can be predicted using knowledge of how disease spreads.
By exploiting these analogies, a new field is emerging at the interface between social sciences and mathematics, the potential of which I hope to illustrate using a mathematical model of the London Riots. Our approach can demonstrate why certain areas of the city were at higher risk than others and help determine which policing strategies may have resulted in a swifter resolution to the unrest.
We will discuss how social modelling can provide a greater understanding of our society, and help design better systems for all: from healthcare to policing and policy.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
- 17:06 TEDxSussexUniversity - David Birch - Identity in the 21st Centuryby TEDxTalks26,427 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks262,666 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks459,939 views
- 18:11 Run for your life! At a comfortable pace, and not too far: James O'Keefe at TEDxUMKCby TEDxTalks132,468 views
- 11:29 One Life-Changing Class You Never Took: Alexa von Tobel at TEDxWallStreetby TEDxTalks110,455 views
- 22:19 Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TEDxOUby TEDxTalks396,848 views
- 18:42 TEDxPortsmouth - Dr. Alan Watkins - Being Brilliant Every Single Day (Part 1)by TEDxTalks263,982 views
- 17:57 How to find and do work you love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks1,018,575 views
- 16:03 Quantum computation: Michelle Simmons at TEDxSydneyby TEDxTalks49,299 views
- 9:51 Why we procrastinate by Vik Nithy @ TEDxYouth@TheScotsCollegeby TEDxTalks551,934 views
- 17:49 Self Control: Dan Ariely at TEDxDukeby TEDxTalks185,110 views
- 12:01 Surprising Lessons From 100 Days of Rejection: Jia Jiang at TEDxAustinby TEDxTalks102,159 views
- 19:27 The first 20 hours -- how to learn anything: Josh Kaufman at TEDxCSUby TEDxTalks586,289 views
- 10:43 The hidden meanings in kids' movies: Colin Stokes at TEDxBeaconStreetby TEDxTalks560,556 views
- 20:03 TEDxSinCity - Bruce Muzik - The BIG Secret Nobody Wants To Tellby TEDxTalks275,915 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks726,643 views
- 19:15 A radical experiment in empathy: Sam Richards at TEDxPSUby TEDxTalks301,332 views
- 10:34 How to Know Your Life Purpose in 5 Minutes: Adam Leipzig at TEDxMalibuby TEDxTalks652,517 views
- 19:31 How Will You Measure Your Life? Clay Christensen at TEDxBostonby TEDxTalks204,889 views