Marijuana While Driving
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 5, 2012
For the increasing number of individuals who have a medical marijuana ID cards, conflicts are beginning to arise over what exactly those patients are protected from under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.
Issues with other laws, specifically motor vehicle laws, and how they intersect with the state's pot laws are creating a lot of gray areas.
"We have a quagmire where medical marijuana users are following the statute and following the law, and technically are not allowed to drive, even if they are not impaired," said Nichole Derks, a Lansing attorney with Foster Smith Collins & Swift.
The main question is whether someone complying with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act should be allowed to drive, said Derks.
A no doubt tough question to answer. But police say, regardless of the drug, it ultimately comes down to whether someone is operating a vehicle while visibly impaired.
"It doesn't really matter to us, whether or not you may legally possess this substance and legally may use it," said Lieutenant Greg Frenger, with the Meridian Township Police.
"If they're impaired, no matter what the substance, we're going to action."
But, there is glaring problem, and one that makes enforcing the laws difficult. Unlike alcohol, where set standards are in place to determine whether someone should be behind the wheel, no such standards exist yet for marijuana.
"There's not an objective way," said Derks. "Where if we have a drunk driver, they can blow into a preliminary breath test straw...we don't have anything like that for marijuana."
In the meantime, patients who do use the drug, should not a drive afterwards. A case currently pending in the Michigan Court of Appeals will ultimately determine if medical marijuana users can drive or not. Depending on that outcome, the next step will be to lay out a set of standards to determine impairment.
Standard YouTube License
- 43:35 The Future of Weed: HIGH COUNTRYby MotherboardTV1,378,473 views
- 12:36 Marijuana Negative Health Effects PLOTTPALMTREES.COMby PlottsHealthChannel3,717 views
- 4:41 Ron Paul: On Driving Under The Influence of Marijuanaby bbizzl11,161 views
- 9:50 Fox News Caught Faking Again : Drivers On Cannabisby hi5ViralNews3,943 views
- 1:41 Drunk driving vs. stoned driving, Who wins?by NewsfixHouston8,783 views
- 7:01 How high is too high? KIRO tests pot-smoking drivers to find outby inZnews22,571 views
- 9:40 "DWHigh: Marijuana and Driving": Extended Driving Simulatorby HDNetWorldReport4,830 views
- 2:47 Driving While High! Is The Law Legalizing Pot Putting Other Drivers At Risk?by MOXNEWSd0tC0M1,876 views
- 2:54 Michigan's Medical Marijuana Law Confusion...by UPCareGivers6,974 views
- 2:39 FOX NEWS: How will legalizing marijuana affect driversby Mediferente2,524 views
- 5:05 Operation Havana Harvest: Volusia County Pot Bustby DBNewsJournal4,251 views
- 4:51 Stupid Drunk Driver?by M13115,126 views
- 7:19 Mythbusters - Cell Phones Vs. Drunk Driving - 2 of 3by Iplum4food83,732 views
- 2:15 Marijuana and Drivingby hampapartiet8,156 views
- 7:11 BBC 5 Live New Zero Tolerance Drug Driving Law, Cannabis, Sativex | NORML UKby CannabisCureTV3,189 views
- 5:15 NEW NEWS : Stoned drivers test skillsby TheRoxNews91,758 views
- 8:17 Medical Marijuana for Kidsby ABC News488,095 views
- 5:55 Mythbusters - Cell Phones Vs. Drunk Driving - 1 of 3by Iplum4food139,125 views
- 2:47 Can Cops Really Prove You're High?by DNews108,254 views
- 2:00 How does marijuana affect your DUI case?by CMHartHayslett1,113 views
- Loading more suggestions...