U.S. State Dept. Recognizes Palestinian Rights
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 10, 2010
(Washington, DC) December 10—In response to a question posed by the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation at today's Human Rights Day Town Hall held by the State Department, the Obama Administration acknowledged that Israel should be held to same human rights standards as every other country, and that Palestinians are entitled to their full human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
This video shows the question, raised by National Advocacy Director Josh Ruebner, and the answer, given by Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Michael Posner.
Posner rejected the idea that Israel should be held to a lower standard of accountability to human rights than other countries, stating that there is a "single universal standard that applies to every country, including our own. We apply it to Israelis." Posner also affirmed that the State Department views "Palestinians as being human beings under the Universal Declaration [of Human Rights] and entitled to these rights."
Ruebner stated that, "Now that the United States finally recognizes that Palestinians are entitled to universal human rights, and that Israel should be held accountable to these human rights standards, it should be relatively easy for the United States to broker a just and lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace based on these principles."
Ruebner added: "For far too long, U.S. policy toward Israel/Palestine has been based on Israel's perceived security interests to the detriment of Palestinian human rights. The Obama Administration should be applauded for its newfound commitment to Palestinian human rights, which will serve hopefully as the new basis for a revamped U.S. strategy to achieve Israeli-Palestinian peace."
Standard YouTube License
- 35:00 Noam Chomsky - America and Israel - Palestine War and Peace Part 1.aviby TheForestaPPB 1,170 views
- 5:35 100,000 Jews Celebrate the Liberation of the Old City on Yom Yerushalayim at the Kotelby Tovia Singer 44,449 views
- 5:10 Roger Waters endorses BDS and speaks against Israeli anti-boycott lawby boycott apartheid 28,946 views
- 2:58 Cradle of Filthy - Carpathian Winterby XbenjoX 952 views
- 10:00 Israel detains Gaza flotilla passengersby AlJazeeraEnglish 23,602 views
- 3:43 Israel's Gaza PR offensiveby AlJazeeraEnglish 49,128 views
- 7:24 Re: AIPAC is pushing us to war with Iran for Israelby NeoConZionistThreat 69,312 views
- 5:31 Report: Obama Plans To Force Palestinian State On Israel, Here's Howby Terry Malone 1,153 views
- 10:02 Criminal State - Part 1 of 3: A Closer Look at Israel's Role in Terrorismby Anthony Lawson 45,853 views
- 1:07:35 Google Internet Summit 2009: Information is Power Part 2by GoogleTechTalks 27,552 views
- 2:51 West Bank village under threatby AlJazeeraEnglish 10,228 views
- 0:36 Coburn: State Department omitted something significant on Benghaziby Ed Morrissey 969 views
- 10:49 Is Israel or the US the Boss?by TheYoungTurks 25,245 views
- 1:41 "Lev We All Can See the Folly", Caroling against Levievby Adalah-NY: The New York Campaign for the Boycott of Israel 687 views
- 1:46 Hicks: State Dept Instructed Me Not To Talk To Congressmanby goprapidresponse 5,593 views
- 0:23 Founding of the State of Israel , May 14, 1948by dan izzo 28,562 views
- 5:31 Mr. Pity & Mr. Fugazi - Gone, But Not Awayby mrxxpity 54,386 views
- 3:33 Green light for Jerusalem settlersby AlJazeeraEnglish 17,627 views
- 3:51 Renewable Energy From the Deep Oceanby Thomas Plocek 336,765 views
- 1:03 Pianista.wmvby Terry Helms 1,465,761 views
- Loading more suggestions...