Labor Beat: When NATO Came to Town
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 26, 2012
The successful May 20 anti-NATO/G8 march in Chicago was the result of months of struggle to defend the 1st Amendment and an historic setting for veterans of the Afghan and Iraq wars to throw their service medals back toward where NATO met.
This video tells the story of the fight for parade permits, against Mayor Emanuel's intimidation with a massive police-state mobilization (including NATO jet fighters), the story of National Nurses United overcoming the City's attempts to deny them a permit to have a rally against G8 at Daley Plaza, the IVAW's struggle to get their opportunity to hold their returning medals ceremony at the end of the march where the NATO Summit took place. Here also are scenes of the massive rally at the starting point of the march at Petrillo Band Shell in Grant Park, and the march itself along the fought-for parade route, with its international, veteran, labor, and community contingents.
Finally, we see and hear the speeches of the Afghan and Iraq war veterans as they throw back their medals. This important and historic gesture was hardly acknowledged by the corporate media, as they instead seized upon sensational images of police/black bloc struggles in the street, allowing the central political message of the Coalition Against NATO/G8 War and Poverty Agenda, the organizer of the march, to be obscured. Interviews, speeches, scenes. Length: 24:39.
Please make a Donation to Labor Beat (Committee for Labor Access) and help rank-and-file tv:
Produced by Labor Beat. Labor Beat is a CAN TV Community Partner. Labor Beat is a non-profit 501(c)(3) member of IBEW 1220. Views are those of the producer Labor Beat. For info: email@example.com, www.laborbeat.org. 312-226-3330. For other Labor Beat videos, visit YouTube and search "Labor Beat". On Chicago CAN TV Channel 19, Thursdays 9:30 pm; Fridays 4:30 pm. Labor Beat has regular cable slots in Chicago, Evanston, Rockford, Urbana, IL; Philadelphia, PA; Princeton, NJ; and Rochester, NY. For more detailed information, send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard YouTube License
- 24:44 G8 Maryland protests, NATO Summit Chicago Protests, NY Time Sq protestsby PressTVGlobalNews 821 views
- 26:17 Reality Check-Weekly review for week ending Friday May 25-05-26-2012by PressTVGlobalNews 360 views
- 7:29 Apology of US Sergeant Matthis Chiroux to Malalai Joya.flvby hslot4 473 views
- 20:59 Keynote by President Barack Obama at The Chicago Council's Symposiumby thechicagocouncil 490 views
- 6:23 Hillary Clinton speaks at NATO Chicago Summit 2012 (5/21/2012)by USFORCESTV 472 views
- 0:58 Enemy Kitchen: Iraqi cab driver gets lunch, 4/23/2012by AngeloMisterioso100 159 views
- 25:38 Labor Beat: NATO vs The 1st Amendmentby MiloWolf 691 views
- 2:56 Critical Mass Chicago May 2012by Bryan Tham 344 views
- 29:55 Labor Beat: May Day Chicago 2012by MiloWolf 264 views
- 4:53 [5/20] The Big Marchby natoindymedia 332 views
- 14:54 Labor Beat: Chicago - War Protest March to Obama's 2012 HQby MiloWolf 411 views
- 2:59 You want to really support our veterans? Listen up -by mydinkywebcam 290 views
- 2:25 Jet fly over 2012 Coke 600by TyTwan1 462 views
- 1:52 Chicago Police assault credentialed journalist..by tcs042 110 views
- 11:44 Ⓐ SCENES FROM A BLACK BLOC Ⓐby TheVideoPromoters 76 views
- 26:47 Labor Beat: CTU Strike 2012by MiloWolf 861 views
- 3:34 Aaron Hughes of Iraq Veterans Against the War Speaks Out Against Chicago's Protest Ordinanceby gretchen hasse 1,073 views
- 41:39 Anti-NATO Rally Marches in Chicago May 20, 2012by psucarrierae 44 views
- 28:02 Labor Beat: Chicago Teachers Stand Strongby MiloWolf 997 views
- 26:11 Labor Beat: Chicago Public Education -- Lead-Up to a Fightby MiloWolf 454 views
- Loading more suggestions...