The Government's War on Cameras!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 26, 2011
Who will watch the watchers? In a world of ubiquitous, hand-held digital cameras, that's not an abstract philosophical question. Police everywhere are cracking down on citizens using cameras to capture breaking news and law enforcement in action.
In 2009, police arrested blogger and freelance photographer Antonio Musumeci on the steps of a New York federal courthouse. His alleged crime? Unauthorized photography on federal property.
Police cuffed and arrested Musumeci, ultimately issuing him a citation. With the help of the New York Civil Liberties Union, he forced a settlement in which the federal government agreed to issue a memo acknowledging that it is totally legal to film or photograph on federal property.
Although the legal right to film on federal property now seems to be firmly established, many other questions about public photography still remain and place journalists and citizens in harm's way. Can you record a police encounter? Can you film on city or state property? What are a photographer's rights in so-called public spaces?
These questions will remain unanswered until a case reaches the Supreme Court, says UCLA Law Professor Eugene Volokh, founder of the popular law blog The Volokh Conspiracy. Until then, it's up to people to know their rights and test the limits of free speech, even at the risk of harassment and arrest.
Who will watch the watchers? All of us, it turns out, but only if we're willing to fight for our rights.
Produced by Hawk Jensen and Zach Weissmueller. Camera by Jim Epstein and Jensen. About 7.30 minutes.
Go to http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/26/rea... for links and more articles, including Reason magazine's January 2011 cover story, "The War on Cameras" and the companion piece "How to Record the Cops."
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions of the video and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:54 Camera Mount and Stopped By Policeby pwalparFeatured 87,191
- 7:51 Stossel: The War on Camerasby m8ra1yn1l 12,163 views
- 7:35 Arizona State Police Abuse Disabled Girl + Kill Her Service Dog on July 4th Vacationby mamasuntwinkle 134,003 views
- 12:01 Citizens w/Firearms make cops behave at Las Vegas DUI CheckPoint part 2by Dontenslaveme 33,187 views
- 7:45 NH: What to do when cops order camera shutoff?by RidleyReport 1,092,846 views
- 4:18 Exposed: Your Right that Cops want Secret - Moneyby UtahOpenCarry 35,694 views
- 9:18 DUI checkpoint refusal to search, arrest for DUI 0% BACby 2strokeYardSale 309,307 views
- 2:52 Photographer asked to hand over camera to military policeby G20Detainee 129,614 views
- 7:38 Cops bust cop-brutality protestby RidleyReport 83,380 views
- 4:21 Court rules in favor of citizen cameras on police.by PoliceStateNews 234,462 views
- 13:10 Police Harassment...suprise! You're on 850 Camera!by 850RiderzInc 1,395,617 views
- 3:35 Cooper Gets Arrested for Video Taping Cop.by Powertothepeopleprod 567,872 views
- 4:33 The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stopby bart40330 2,060,393 views
- 3:56 Green Cove Springs Police,Officer Graham in action!by HONORYOUROATH 206,877 views
- 0:47 Secret Service Tosses Reporter - 05-28-09by MilitarySuicides 57,042 views
- 7:13 Police harassment backfires on cop at Quincy H.S. 2-08-2012by DefendersOfWomen 4,905,943 views
- 8:09 Police vs. Civilians w/ Video Cameraby Helland Keller 854,226 views
- 4:54 Only Idiots Buy Glocksby TheYankeeMarshal 401,590 views
- 9:22 Arlington Sheriff Questions Photographer 11/30/10by Jeff Costlow 24,109 views
- 1:04 Greatest escape from Police ever!by hooftcommandantstijn 2,342,687 views
- Loading more suggestions...