The Government's War on Cameras!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 26, 2011
Who will watch the watchers? In a world of ubiquitous, hand-held digital cameras, that's not an abstract philosophical question. Police everywhere are cracking down on citizens using cameras to capture breaking news and law enforcement in action.
In 2009, police arrested blogger and freelance photographer Antonio Musumeci on the steps of a New York federal courthouse. His alleged crime? Unauthorized photography on federal property.
Police cuffed and arrested Musumeci, ultimately issuing him a citation. With the help of the New York Civil Liberties Union, he forced a settlement in which the federal government agreed to issue a memo acknowledging that it is totally legal to film or photograph on federal property.
Although the legal right to film on federal property now seems to be firmly established, many other questions about public photography still remain and place journalists and citizens in harm's way. Can you record a police encounter? Can you film on city or state property? What are a photographer's rights in so-called public spaces?
These questions will remain unanswered until a case reaches the Supreme Court, says UCLA Law Professor Eugene Volokh, founder of the popular law blog The Volokh Conspiracy. Until then, it's up to people to know their rights and test the limits of free speech, even at the risk of harassment and arrest.
Who will watch the watchers? All of us, it turns out, but only if we're willing to fight for our rights.
Produced by Hawk Jensen and Zach Weissmueller. Camera by Jim Epstein and Jensen. About 7.30 minutes.
Go to http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/26/rea... for links and more articles, including Reason magazine's January 2011 cover story, "The War on Cameras" and the companion piece "How to Record the Cops."
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions of the video and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:21 The Best Open Carry Stop Perfect Answers Stun The Santa Ana Police Californiaby ThisIsRadioFreedom1273,494 views
- 10:19 Lady Lawyer Educates, Owns Bensalem, PA Copby SHARK220,219 views
- 3:10 NJ Cop On Power-Trip Tries To Steal Teen Camera For Recording Incident | JCTV | THE JEENYUS CORNERby Jeenyus CornerTV222,642 views
- 9:34 Copwatching More Woodland PD Lies of Noise Complaint when No Music Was playing.by Eyetileye30,513 views
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,212 views
- 7:51 Stossel: The War on Camerasby m8ra1yn1l13,704 views
- 13:10 Police Harassment...suprise! You're on 850 Camera!by 850RiderzInc2,563,741 views
- 7:36 Arizona Police Abuse Disabled Girl + Kill Her Service Dog on July 4th Vacationby mamasuntwinkle215,235 views
- 14:38 Wild Police Chase - South Los Angeles, CA - April 30, 2013by LocalNewsVideo1,368,933 views
- 2:45 VIDEO OF MAN AND POLICE ARGUING OVER HIS RIGHTS GOES VIRALby copwatchnews187,886 views
- 169 videos Play all Police / Cops Brutalityby TheSpiritof1960
- 16:01 Stand Your Groundby ShootExperienceTeam261,125 views
- 0:58 DUI Check Point And The Driver Knows His Rightsby DUIlawyersnow97,110 views
- 7:54 Camera Mount and Stopped By Policeby pwalpar134,242 views
- 48:40 Dont Talk to Policeby russr3,257,074 views
- 4:42 We Now Have A Total Gangster Governmentby TPOCS2,429,995 views
- 2:37:55 What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know About Your Drivers Licenseby BelligerentPolitics53,039 views
- 4:03 Why citizens MUST retain the right to film police & government officialsby TheFactsoverFiction57,495 views
- 0:59 A little AA battery trick they don't want you to know...by donhome212,006,963 views