SpaceShip One X-Prize Flight #1 Launch Mike Melvill
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 3, 2009
SpaceShipOne launches from White Knight carrier airplane on the first of two X-Prize winning flights in 2004.
Flight 16P of SpaceShipOne was a spaceflight in the Tier One program that took place on September 29, 2004. It was the first competitive flight in the Ansari X PRIZE competition to demonstrate a non-governmental reusable manned spacecraft, and is hence also referred to as the X1 flight. A serious roll excursion occurred during boost, so the flight did not achieve the expected altitude. However, it exceeded 100 km altitude, making it a successful X PRIZE flight.
After takeoff, White Knight and SpaceShipOne ascended to the launch altitude, planned to be around 14 km. At 08:09 SpaceShipOne was released, glided for 6 s, then went into nose-up attitude and the rocket motor was ignited. The rocket motor was capable of burning for approximately 87 s, having been upgraded since the previous flight. It was planned to shut off the motor at an altitude of 345,000 feet (105 km), presumably to avoid pushing the envelope too far.
The spacecraft started rolling rapidly 50 s into the burn, while travelling at Mach 2.7. This was probably due to, or at least exacerbated by, pilot error. The pilot was not highly concerned by this, being confident that he could correct the situation, and he allowed the burn to continue during the roll. He later said "I thought it was kind of cool".
The apogee altitude was estimated by the nearby Edwards Air Force Base, based on radar data, to be 337,569 feet (102.9 km). Due to the early burn cutoff, this was far less than originally anticipated.
Overall, the craft did 29 complete rolls. Atmospheric reentry proceeded normally, with the craft rapidly righting its attitude due to the stable high-drag configuration. It changed back to gliding configuration normally, glided back to the spaceport, and landed safely at 08:34.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:13 The old MAKS Russian Space Plane might be new again - 2010.0by spacevidcastFeatured 349,728
- 1:26:19 Black Sky - The Race for Space (2004)by Documentarycloud 5,805 views
- 3:56 World's first manned flight with an electric multicopterby forschungsbuero 5,702,519 views
- 3:54 The Spaceship of the future is hereby bulbulahamadnz 302,858 views
- 5:11 SS2 First Feather Flight, Mojave, May 2011_Filmed by The Clay Center Observatory.movby virgingalactic 965,680 views
- 9:30 Black Sky - The Race For Space 4/10 Subtituladoby casasbojorges 6,015 views
- 10:58 Shuttle launch from inside orbitorby Dana Belpedio 2,555,582 views
- 43:08 SpaceX reaches orbit with Falcon 1 - Flight 4 (full video including Elon Musk statement)by spacevidcast 88,259 views
- 21:08 Voyage to Pandora: First Interstellar Space Flightby SpaceRip 1,094,595 views
- 4:43 Virgin Galactic is getting closer to launch - 2010.03.29by spacevidcast 344,062 views
- SpaceShipOne 227 videos10
- 2:42 VIRGIN GALACTIC TEST FLIGHTby doves5000 120,620 views
- 3:41 Virgin Galactic Inside the spaceshipby Robert Gomez 33,693 views
- 34 videos Play all Space and Science Videosby Emophiliac2
- 2:09 High Quality - Apollo 8 Saturn V rocket launchby syukorvids 785,904 views
- 1:47 Real Sound of Space Shuttle STS-117 Launch, 3 milesby Sumio Morioka 1,422,321 views
- 2:47 Northrop Grumman Lunar Lander X PRIZE Challenge Flight Highlightsby xprize 10,787 views
- 3:27 Virgin Galactic Test Flightsby ParkAveTravel 32,213 views
- 13:50 SpaceShipTwoby Popscivideo 271,436 views
- 3:14 SpaceShipTwo's First "Feathered" Flightby AIRBOYD 38,683 views
- 8:45 Spaceship One powered flight 3by jeromeyward 101,987 views
- 6:21 Animation of a Virgin Galactic flight from launch to landingby spacevidcast 250,569 views
- Loading more suggestions...