The Gordons - Time Will Tell Our Story
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 7, 2009
The Gordons perform "Time Will Tell Our Story" from the album of the same name from 2002. Joining Gary and Roberta Gordon are Mark Stoffel (mandolin), David Johnson (fiddle), and Ross Sermons (bass).
Meet Gary and Roberta Gordon. Influenced by the great music of their era, this husband and wife duo were baptized by bluegrass music and have made wonderful folk music ever since. Accompanied by Gary's tasteful Gallagher guitar and dobro, Roberta plays the American born Appalachian autoharp. With many recordings to their credit since 1976 , harmony singing is their signature.
The Gordons have been bringing their music to audiences throughout the United States since the 1970s, particularly in the Midwest and the Carolinas. During the 1970s, they released two records: "Southern Illinois Bluegrass", and "Covered Bridge", both of which received national radio airplay. In the late 1980s, they played a $150 per ticket show in Chicago, Illinois at the Swiss Grand Hotel. They also recorded a live concert in Cincinatti, Ohio at at the celebrated Old Time Music Hall , with special guests, dobro great Josh Graves and Kenny Baker (Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys).
In 1990, they explored a different sound with a country-rock record, "Wasn't Born to Follow", which featured fiddle great Wade Ray; in 1995, they released a gospel record, "Family Bible". Radio recognition was swift, and the single "Dust On The Bible" was praised in Europe as well as the U.S. Longtime broadcaster Dave Higgs of WPLN said: "I'll be spreading The Gospel According To The Gordons here in Nashville." 1997 brought "End Of A Long Hard Day" on Reception Records. Edward Morris of Billboard reviewed the record, and praised "the fidelity with which the group conjures up memories of a sweet rural world now long vanished".
In addition to touring the United States, European acceptance of "Family Bible" secured an invitation to tour Ireland in the mid-1990s, where they performed on RTE, Ireland's national television network, in addition to live radio programs. Richard Gladney of the Irish Bluegrass Music Club said: "Rest easy, Mr. Monroe. Your music is in good hands". The Gordons returned to Ireland three times, in addition to the Czech Republic and the Netherlands, where they took part in the first ever European World of Bluegrass Festival Series, held at venues throughout Holland, under the auspieces of the International Bluegrass Music Association. Strictly Country Records released "Live in Holland" in 1999, featuring Gary and Roberta returning to their duet roots, using only guitar, autoharp, dobro, and voice.
During this time, they also recorded songs for two projects under the name "Summervilla", recorded live in the historic anti-bellium mansion of the same name, located on the Cape Fear River in Eastern North Carolina.
In 2002, The Gordons released "Time Will Tell Our Story", featuring first-rate musicianship from the likes of Alison Brown (banjo) and fiddle from Robert Bowlin.Yet again, it was critically praised -- Bluegrass Unlimited stated that it was "one of the strongest spiritual releases of the year".
While Gary Gordon released a blues record, "Real Blue", in 2005, six years passed with little touring and visible activity from the duo. However, The Gordons never stopped writing, collecting, and recording songs. In 2008, they released "Our Time" on Inside-Out Records. Featuring fourteen songs, The Gordons impart fond reminders of childhood, hopefulness after loss, promise of redemption, and love of man. With the new release, Gary and Roberta will now head back out on the road to play as a duo once again.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:50 Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends by WILLIE NELSONby AlanPaladinFeatured 57,735
- 3:14 The Gordons - Orphan Annieby TheGordonsMusic 3,366 views
- 1:35 The Gordons - Sparta, Illinois; 1977by TheGordonsMusic 2,249 views
- 5:22 The Gordons - Carolina Pinesby TheGordonsMusic 6,819 views
- 3:11 The Gordons - Goin' Homeby TheGordonsMusic 8,711 views
- 4:38 The Gordons - Zion's Hillby TheGordonsMusic 21,764 views
- 2:43 The Gordons - Shenandoah Valley Breakdownby TheGordonsMusic 5,260 views
- 3:38 The Gordons on St. Louis TVby TheGordonsMusic 1,262 views
- 3:03 The Gordons - One of These Daysby TheGordonsMusic 3,194 views
- 4:29 The Gordons - Follow Mother Homeby TheGordonsMusic 1,576 views
- 2:59 The Gordons - Bootleg Johnby TheGordonsMusic 2,986 views
- 7:03 It is well with my soul/ Fiemalie performed at Tae Kami's funeralby teedah 19,930 views
- 3:42 The Gordons - All My Tearsby TheGordonsMusic 60,235 views
- 3:26 The Gordons - Changing Heartby TheGordonsMusic 2,662 views
- 8:29 Nothin' Fancy Bluegrass Band Performing "Faded Love" at Weeks Music Auditorium in Buffalo Missouriby Kristie Horn 9,579 views
- 3:22 The Gordons w/ Tim Carter, David Johnson, Cecil Tinnon - Spot The Dogby TheGordonsMusic 2,540 views
- 7:30 On Dobro - The Whirley Brothers Bluegrassby calinkus 87,321 views
- 3:51 The Gordons - The Train That Carried Jimmie Rodgers Homeby TheGordonsMusic 1,648 views
- 3:35 The Gordons - Ginseng Sullivanby TheGordonsMusic 30,457 views
- 1:30 The Gordons - Little Beggar Manby TheGordonsMusic 7,132 views
- Loading more suggestions...