Rockelbel's Canon (Pachelbel's Canon in D) - 4 Cellos - ThePianoGuys
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 29, 2012
2013 Salt Lake & Boise Christmas Shows! http://smarturl.it/tpgtour
New Christmas Album here: http://smarturl.it/NewAlbum
Buy song here: http://smarturl.it/rockelbel
Tour Tickets here: http://smarturl.it/tpgtour
Buy PBS Special on DVD here: http://smarturl.it/AmazonRedButteDVD
Subscribe to our main channel: http://smarturl.it/TPGsubscribe1
Subscribe to our BTS channel: http://smarturl.it/TPGsubscribe2
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PianoGuys
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/PianoGuys
Special thanks to Underfunded Film Productions for the green screen rental.
Story behind the song:
Ask any cellist. They'll tell you about what's it's like to play the cello part of Pachebel's Canon in D. It's the same 8 notes over and over and over again. The good news is, it's easy to memorize. The bad news is you don't know when to stop. There's a rumor floating around that says Pachelbel either died while writing it, never finishing the cello part, or that he dated a cellist and it did NOT go well. This arrangement is dedicated to all the cellists that have fallen asleep while playing this song...or at least wanted to fall asleep. Steven Sharp Nelson actually began writing this arrangment while bored at a wedding.
Ahem...all the bitter cello-malice aside, Pachelbel's Canon in D (written in the 1600's) has stood the test of time -- celebrated as the most recognizable piece of classical music. We like to call it the "one-hit wonder of the 1600's." It really is an amazingly-catchy piece of music. It demonstrates the musical form of the "canon," when a melody is played and then repeated in a round by other voices. (watch how the melodies are passed from one cello to the next - right to left)
ALL THE SOUNDS YOU HEAR WERE CREATED BY THE CELLO -- bowing, plucking, strumming, and beating the cello any way possible.
This arrangement was written before ThePianoGuys posted our first video, "Michael Meets Mozart" - but we hesitated filming it because of how involved the idea was. We've never used "extras" before! And the thought of staging a wedding, directing extras, and cloning Steve 4 times all in one video-shoot made us justifiably anxious. So we put it off. And put it off. And then put if off some more. One day Al van der Beek was skimming through our thousands of messages on Facebook and happened to see one with the title "wedding" in the subject line. A woman emailed us about an opportunity to film at a big magazine-spread wedding photo shoot. It was perfect--they would have the location, flowers, actors, and even a cake. Everything we'd need. To make a long story short, we excitedly scheduled our video shoot for the same day as their photo shoot, but a few days prior to the day it fell apart. After much discussion we determined to move forward on faith that we could still work it out. Paul Anderson marshaled all sorts of connections and called on whomever he could and by nothing short of a miracle in a matter of days the wedding was all planned -- complete with a beautiful location, stunning decor, sharp tuxedos, fancy flowers, a photogenic bride and groom, 60 energetic guests, and an iced cake!
The piece at the beginning that is just ending is Steven Sharp Nelson's 4-cello arrangement of "Thanks Be To Thee" (att. to Handel). Dowanload the full MP3 here: http://thepianoguys.com/newstore/tend... (TRACK 7 on the album "Tender Mercies"
Download the sheet music to "Thanks Be To Thee" here: http://thepianoguys.com/newstore/musi...
Thanks to our many "cameos" we're reluctantly-proud to admit that this is the first video where you can SEE ALL FIVE PIANO GUYS! Everyone appeared as themselves, except for Jon who got a little carried away with his characters. :)
A HUGE thank you goes out to our vendors that made this wedding look so amazing. Please visit their sites and use them if you're planning a wedding!
Forever More Events
Another huge thank you goes out to all our extras, family and friends that sacrificed an afternoon to make our little wedding look the part!
And another thank you goes to Robin Saville of Bride Access who helped Steven Sharp Nelson conceptualize this video. www.brideaccess.com
Canon in D written by Johann Pachelbel (1600's)
Arrangement written and produced by Al van der Beek & Steven Sharp Nelson
Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Al van der Beek at TPG Studios
Video produced by Paul Anderson & Tel Stewart
Steven Sharp Nelson, cellists
Paul Anderson, himself
Al van der Beek, himself
Tel Stewart, himself
Jon Schmidt, minister and hip old lady
Shalley Sorenson, bride
Zach Sorenson, groom
Nicole Alfano, Wedding Coordinator
Standard YouTube License
- 3:16 YOU'RE SO GIRLY TOO!by hoiitsroi Featured 821,915
- 4:46 Christina Perri - A Thousand Years (Piano/Cello Cover) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys23,113,115 views
- 4:00 Moonlight - Electric Cello (Inspired by Beethoven) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys8,903,786 views
- 3:59 The Cello Song - (Bach is back with 7 more cellos) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys11,156,382 views
- 9:28 Pagagnini - Pachelbel's Canon in Dby Alan Mortensen1,290,215 views
- 3:27 Charlie Brown Medley - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys4,100,798 views
- 4:26 Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys4,028,774 views
- 3:47 Carol of the Bells (for 12 cellos) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys8,562,597 views
- 5:32 Beethoven's 5 Secrets - OneRepublic (Cello/Orchestral Cover) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys16,837,869 views
- 4:10 Cello Wars (Star Wars Parody) Lightsaber Duel - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys15,369,524 views
- 3:21 One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful (5 Piano Guys, 1 piano) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys27,967,105 views
- 3:22 Me and My Cello - Happy Together (Turtles) Cello Cover - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys5,239,571 views
- 3:14 All of Me (Jon Schmidt) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys9,552,412 views
- 6:00 Titanium / Pavane (Piano/Cello Cover) - David Guetta / Faure - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys14,784,187 views
- 1:02:00 Canon In D - 1 Hourby theLonerboyie517,820 views
- 5:34 Michael Meets Mozart - 1 Piano, 2 Guys, 100 Cello Tracks - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys13,796,717 views
- 6:05 Lord of The Rings - The Hobbit (Piano/Cello Cover) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys6,162,099 views
- 4:34 More than Words - Extreme (feat. guest artist, J Rice)by ThePianoGuys2,352,411 views
- 3:59 Canon in D (Classical guitar) by Johann Pachelbelby Per-Olov Kindgren2,232,595 views
- 3:57 Rock Meets Rachmaninoff - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys2,050,359 views
- Loading more suggestions...