The Invisible Systems That Run Your Consulting Business
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 3, 2013
http://www.covetedconsultant.com/free Hi, this is Alzay Calhoun with Coveted Consultant.com today I'm talking about the invisible systems that run your business. To get us started I want to ask you a question. Do you believe in the system because there are tons of consultants that do and tons of consultants that don't. Some consultants swear by systems and they believe that systems are required to make them a successful company. If you do not have systems then you are on your way to failure. However, there are other consultants that believe that systems stifle creativity and you should avoid them at all cost. So the question for you is which camp do you subscribe to? I wanted to share that not only are systems mandatory but that there are invisible systems that are a silent threat to your business and here's what I mean. I believe that there is a system in place whether you realize it or not. There is a process, a method or a procedure that is working for you whether or not you can see it because you can't see that process and therefor it's invisible and you're subject to whatever it creates for you. So you have to take some time to dig into it and figure it out and sort it out. So if that begins to make sense to you let me give you something to check to help you see if you have invisible systems. So one example is if you're getting the same core results over and over. You know what you want and every time you try to get that thing done the result is substandard or subpar you have an invisible system. You don't really know how it gets done you just are subject to whatever it creates. The second example is you don't know how a certain result is achieved all you know is you press a button something pops out. You send an e-mail and something pops out. You ask an employee and something pops out but you really don't know what the process is to get that end result done for you or have it provided to you. That's an invisible system. Another example is you only do a specific task when something breaks. So you only work the process in response to something. Something happens and you scramble around to fix it and then at the last second or the last minute you end up in a rush to fix it. That's an invisible system. You don't really know what you're doing you're just scrambling around trying to solve it.
So these things because they're invisible you can't see them and because you can't see them you can't manage them and make sure that you're getting the most out of them. So what's your challenge? Your challenge is to develop better systems. So here's something to think about. First of all, get a clear picture of what you really want. You've got to be clear on the front end of what you want this process to kick out or spit out, or provide on the back side. Second is you've got to create metrics you can believe in. So the only way you know the system is working is if you can count it as it goes. If you can measure everything up as it goes. So however you believe you can measure that in your system be deliberate, be sharp about what those methods are and count them so you can be sure that you're getting the results that you want. The third is commit to the process. So it takes time to define any system invisible or not and if it's invisible to you you might get a little frustrated on the front side because now you can finally see what you weren't seeing before and it may bother you a little bit . So commit to the process of refining that system.
And then fourth is get some help either internally from your existing employees to get their feedback from them or externally with a consultant, or coach, or some other friend or expert and see if they can help you point to, pinpoint that invisible system and then refine it as you need to. The major point here is that you do not want to be subject to a system that you can't see. You want to be able to see everything that's going on in your business. You want to be able to understand everything that's going on your business so you can have the most control over how successful you're going to be in your business.
So with that thanks for listening. If you enjoyed this you'll love our free gift found at covetedconsultant.com/free. It reveals the essential blueprint for any successful consultant. So for now go get your free gift and I'll talk to you soon. http://youtu.be/LO22VBbBbZs
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:53 Taking the Next Step 2013: Combining Consulting Ingredients for Successby The University of Chicago1,055 views
- 36:50 Consulting Interview, Kevin P. Coyne, former McKinsey Worldwide Strategy Practice Co-Leaderby firmsconsulting30,210 views
- 1:13:41 How to get a job in Management Consultingby Darren Lafreniere7,010 views
- 11:42 Consumer Banks vs. Investment Banks vs. Merchant Banksby Cathi Listmann3,666 views
- 24:15 'Dollar valueless, about to crash' - World Bank whistleblowerby RT367,125 views
- 5:23 Consulting 101by Brenda Milan7,879 views
- 24:41 Reginald Gilyard talks Management Consulting with MBA Gradsby ChapmanUniversity2,772 views
- 1:12:59 Careers in Consulting: Beyond the Buzz Wordsby The University of Chicago19,632 views
- 13:29 Invisible Measure Talkby ImportProjectsBerln32 views
- 1:56:20 The Future of Banking And Finance Careersby StudentFinanceJobs34,424 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend1,703,784 views
- 8:15 Unlock YOUR Alpha M. Physique: 5 Simple Secrets!by alpha m.81,359 views
- 7:48 Start a Computer Consulting Business!by Robert Peretson19,895 views
- 27:58 How to Locate Your Best Clientby CovetedConsultant
- 6:48 Simbell Episode 1. Framing the Problemby Simbell channel: management consulting tools and techniques for solving business problems1,069 views
- 1:11:19 19. Investment Banksby YaleCourses37,363 views
- 10:13 How to start a small consulting businessby binkob12333,870 views
- 31:05 Consulting Interview Questions - Interview Tips Tutorial - by Craig Milbourneby CommsPointRecruit19,814 views
- 12:22 What do investment banks actually do? - MoneyWeek Investment Tutorialsby MoneyWeekVideos143,293 views
- 29:32 Cityboy - Secrets of Investment Bankers exposed (Geraint Anderson)by metrak192,877 views
- Loading more suggestions...