Australia's Energy Security - 24/7 Concentrated Solar Thermal Power plus Molten Salt Storage (CSP+)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 17, 2011
PLEASE SHARE THIS VIDEO and, if you're an Australian citizen, sign this petition to build this kind of plant in Port Augusta - http://www.communityrun.org/p/rpa.
Very few Australians are aware of molten salt storage technology and how it allows us to switch to 100% renewable energy in a very short space of time.
Russell Beard of Earthrise goes on a tour of Gemasolar, near Seville, Spain - the first Concentrated Solar Thermal Power plus molten salt storage (CSP+) plant to produce energy 24 hours per day. This power tower plant produces 20MW, enough to power 25,000 homes but much bigger CSP+ plants are now being in the Middle East and the US that will produce 100MW and 150MW. Even larger CSP+ plants are possible.
Research by Beyond Zero Emissions (www.bze.org.au) and the Energy Research Institute, Melbourne University shows that a combination of
* energy efficiency and an upgraded grid plus a mix of:
* 60% CSP+ (comprising 12 solar regions each containing 19 220MW plants located in the high-insolation vicinities of Carnarvon, Kalgoorlie (WA), Port Augusta (SA), Mildura (VIC), Bourke, Dubbo, Moree, Silverton (NSW), Roma, Longreach, Charleville, Prairie (QLD)) and
* 40% wind (comprising 23 wind regions in Albany, Bunbury, Esperance, Geraldton (WA), Cape Jaffa, Ceduna, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Streaky Bay, Yongala (SA), Cooma, Crookwell, Orange, Silverton, Walcha (NSW), Ballarat, Mt Gellibrand, Port Fairy, Wonthaggi (VIC), Atherton, Collinsville, Georgetown, Stanthorpe (QLD)) and
* a small hydro/biomass backup for a few days in winter
can provide all of Australia's energy needs including those of transport assuming a fuel-switch from oil to electricity. Plans on Buildings, Transport, Land Use & Agriculture, Industrial Processes and Coal Revenue Alternatives will be coming out over the next two years.
Free signup to the latest news about renewables in Australia at:
and for information specifically on Concentrated Solar Thermal Power and what's happening in the rest of the world but hardly in sunny Australia
Standard YouTube License
- 2:46 Solar Islands (TM)by hinderlingvolkartFeatured 386,582
- 58:27 Solar Thermal Powerby StanfordUniversity 22,142 views
- 0:15 Closet door mirrors for solar heatingby junkyardnut 88,643 views
- 24:54 DIY Well Drillingby pentexsoft 307,454 views
- 2:52 Infinia Stirling Solar Generatorby ecoparity 250,497 views
- 1:58 Brief Introduction Solar Thermal and Solar Hot Waterby Eric Layton 121,816 views
- 11:32 Modular Heat Storageby John Canivan 434,585 views
- 1:52 Why Sharp Solar Panels Are the Bestby wisepowersystems 22,453 views
- 22:41 My Solar Power Setupby texasprepper2 237,605 views
- 1:12 Tesla Turbineby FireHazard101 1,007,078 views
- 3:19 Pros and Cons of Concentrated Solar Powerby Craig Shields 15,046 views
- 3:20 Worlds largest solar power plant...by UpBeatnik 35,357 views
- Solar thermal energy 1,929 videos56
- 2:12 Installation of a Sharp Solar Power Plantby SharpSolarEurope 126,055 views
- 9:36 Israeli Solar Power: Renewable Light To The Nationsby JewishPressTV 8,760 views
- 6:15 STEAM ENGINE 12KW GENERATOR Solar Mirror Array Death Rayby GREENPOWERSCIENCE 702,811 views
- 5:04 Solar Thermal Storage Tankby G. Scott Davis 34,007 views
- 2:17 Gujarat to become India's largest solar Power Producerby niftytelevision 27,325 views
- 5:37 James May (Top gear) visits solar thermal plant in Spainby SCIENCEMASSIVE 14,143 views
- 4:48 RLCPPL solar power plant connects to GRIDby Manikanda Boopathi 13,919 views
- 2:15 Parabolic Trough Solar Collector water heater 3by Andrew Ancel Gray 116,778 views
- Loading more suggestions...