A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 - by Isao Hashimoto
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 24, 2010
Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project's "Trinity" test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan's nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea's two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).
Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing"the fear and folly of nuclear weapons." It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.
"2053" - This is the number of nuclear explosions conducted in various parts of the globe.*
Profile of the artist: Isao HASHIMOTO
Born in Kumamoto prefecture, Japan in 1959.
Worked for 17 years in financial industry as a foreign exchange dealer. Studied at Department of Arts, Policy and Management of Musashino Art University, Tokyo.
Currently working for Lalique Museum, Hakone, Japan as a curator.
Created artwork series expressing, in the artist's view, "the fear and the folly of nuclear weapons":
"1945-1998" © 2003
"The Names of Experiments"
About "1945-1998" ©2003
"This piece of work is a bird's eye view of the history by scaling down a month length of time into one second. No letter is used for equal messaging to all viewers without language barrier. The blinking light, sound and the numbers on the world map show when, where and how many experiments each country have conducted. I created this work for the means of an interface to the people who are yet to know of the extremely grave, but present problem of the world."
Contact the artist:
Should you have any query regarding this artwork, please contact e-mail address below:
* The number excludes both tests by North Korea (October 2006 and May 2009).
Standard YouTube License
- 8:32 Color footage of atomic bomb tests in Nevada - Soldiers being exposed to high levels of radiationby ricsil2037347,612 views
- 15:15 24 Hours After Hiroshima 1/3by violator791763,854 views
- 7:44 1955 Creepy Nuclear Test! 1 of 2by AutomobileHistoryUSA881,797 views
- 14:52 Most Shocking Jeremy Kyle USA Episodeby JohnnyCitronic253,147 views
- 10:52 ★ Scary AFV Video Clips #28 - America's Funniest Home Videos part 624 | OrangeCabinetby crypticAFV388,883 views
- 7:43 Best of All Nuclear Blastsby glendale92400,684 views
- 0:40 TSAR BOMB RUSSIAN BIGGEST NUCLEAR WEAPON 57,000,000 TONSby ironeagle94643,777 views
- 0:37 Venus Flytrap gets a Bugby renaterukwind3,294,412 views
- 1:16 First Milliseconds of Nuclear Bomb Test Fireballby pfirsicheisen666,717 views
- 0:34 cowboy airline pilot makes a scary takeoffby angelofwax2,690,995 views
- 13:50 Declassified U.S. Nuclear Test Film #55by talkingsticktv3,218,148 views
- 0:30 100 Tons of Explosives GONE WRONG!by nelandquinten1,675,068 views
- 23:41 EXTREME Knife Abuse LMF 2by blackforestghost1116,185 views
- 0:51 U.S. Nuclear Bomb Test - Grableby atomcentral2,808,457 views
- 4:10 U.S. Nuclear Weapon Tests, Operation Castle; Test Shot Bravo [Full 1080p HD @~24FPS]by HiDefTutorials26,620 views
- 0:36 Tsar bomba HDby kuroiso2,301,331 views
- 0:40 A message from 20 years in the Future...by okiecampaigns3,397,396 views
- 33:40 Street Politics 101by aConcernedHuman538 views
- 0:22 huge explosion causes large waveby austinober1,054,886 views