Uploaded on Jun 1, 2011
Patbingsu is one of the most popular summer desserts or snacks in Korea
Red beans (adzuki beans), sugar, vanilla, salt, shaved ice, sweetened condensed milk, rice cake, strawberries, banana, and kiwi, and ice shaver
I bought this reasonable price electric ice shaver on amazon. It's quite simple and easy to use. If you are living in USA, you can get it delivered to your home.
Directions for 4 servings:
Make sweet red beans:
1. Rinse and strain 1 cup of red beans and place them in a thick-bottomed pot.
1 cup of dried red beans will make a little more than 2 cups of sweet red beans. Each serving of patbingsu needs ½ cup of sweet red beans.
2. Add 4 cups of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Lower the heat to simmer for 1 hour
4. Open the lid and check if the beans are cooked well or not. The beans should be crushed easily.
Chew a sample of the beans. If there is something hard when you chew, you need to cook longer.
5. Drain the water and add 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of the 1 ts vanilla, and ½ ts salt. Mix well.
6. *tip: the water from the beans can be used for making rice
Uncover and stir the sweet beans over low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Turn the heat off and let it cool down. Keep in the fridge.
Let's make patbingsu!
1. Add ½ cup of sweet red beans on the bottom of a dessert bowl.
2. Add 1½ cups of shaved ice over the sweet red beans.
3. Add chopped strawberries, banana, and kiwi on top of the ice.
4. Pour 2 tbs of sweetened condensed milk onto red beans and place 5-7 chopped rice cakes on top.
5. Serve right away with a spoon.