Ground-soybean stew ("kongbiji jjigae":콩비지찌개)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 20, 2010
How to make delicious kongbiji jjigae, perfect for a winter day.
Full recipe, photos, comments, and stories are on my website: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kongbi...
Yield: 4 servings
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients: soy beans, pork, kimchi, green onions, garlic, red chili pepper, green chili pepper, fish sauce,sesame oil, dried shiitake mushrooms, dried anchovies, dried kelp
1.Soak ½ cup dried soy beans in cold water overnight (at least 12 hours).
2. Rinse and drain the soaked soy beans. (They will expand to more than 1 cup)
3.Make stock: In a thick bottomed pot, add 4 cups water, 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, 8 large dried anchovies (after removing the guts), and 4×5 inch pieces of dried kelp. Bring to a boil for 20 minutes over medium high heat.
4.Take the mushrooms out of the stock and chop them into small pieces. Set aside
5.Blend 1 cup of soaked soybeans with 1 cup of water until it turns creamy.
6.Chop about 4 oz pork and set aside
7.Chop 1 cup of kimchi
8.Place a heavy bottomed pot (7-8 cups) on the stove and heat it up. *tip: It's usually cooked in either a stone bowl or an earthenware bowl
9.When the stone pot has heated up, drizzle ½ -- 1 tbs sesame oil and add 2 cloves of minced garlic. Stir for 10 seconds.
10.Add chopped pork, mushrooms, kimchi, and keep stirring for a few more minutes.
11.Add 2 cups of stock and close the lid.
12.Bring to a boil over medium heat for about 2 minutes. *tip: the stew will boil over easily, so watch out! If it boils over, lower the heat!
13.Pour the creamy soybeans into the the pot and lower the heat. *tip: do not stir the stew until the soy bean liquid is cooked (about 1 minute)
14.Let it cook with the lid open for about 2 minutes.
15.When it boils over, stir and turn the stew over with a spoon carefully (You will see some bubbles popping up).
16.Add 1 tbs fish sauce (or salt) and stir it with a spoon. *tip: You could use saewoojeot (fermented salty shrimp)
17.Add some chopped red chili pepper, green chili pepper, and green onion to the top of the boiling stew before serving
Serve with rice, kimchi, and more side dishes.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Save It For Later (Extended)" on
- 10:53 Kimchiby Maangchi1,294,435 views
- 10:17 Sujebi (hand-torn noodle soup:수제비)by Maangchi260,933 views
- 9:58 Korean ginger cookies ("maejakgwa":매작과)by Maangchi91,935 views
- 9:06 Squash pancakes (hobakjeon:호박전)by Maangchi73,576 views
- 8:39 Triangle kimbap (samgak kimbap:삼각김밥)by Maangchi146,309 views
- 8:45 Korean spicy seafood noodle soup (jjampong:짬뽕)by Maangchi320,223 views
- 9:04 Doenjang jjigae (Korean soybean paste stew: 된장찌개)by Maangchi250,952 views
- 6:30 Pork bone soup ("gamjatang":감자탕)by Maangchi301,294 views
- 12:02 Rainbow rice cake ("mujigaeddeok":무지개떡)by Maangchi515,432 views
- 6:50 Spicy fish soup (maeuntang)by Maangchi177,786 views
- 6:08 Soybean sprout soup (kongnamulguk:콩나물국)by Maangchi99,488 views
- 8:52 Stir-fried squid dish (Ojingeobokkeum:오징어볶음)by Maangchi229,260 views
- 10:44 Korean grilled pork belly BBQ ("samgyeopsal":삼겹살)by Maangchi325,347 views
- 8:22 Soybean sprouts bibimbap (kongnamulbap: 콩나물밥)by Maangchi111,363 views
- 8:17 Fermented squid side dish (오징어젓)by Maangchi111,452 views
- 10:03 Yubuchobap (Seasoned tofu pockets stuffed with rice: 유부초밥)by Maangchi94,944 views
- 8:03 Sweet pancakes (hoddeok:호떡)by Maangchi374,237 views
- 10:10 Cooking bulgogi and bulgogi stewby Maangchi263,834 views
- 9:22 Kimbapby Maangchi395,706 views
- 9:12 Korean beef barbecue ("LA Galbi": 갈비)by Maangchi441,047 views
- Loading more suggestions...