Our 100th LVAD Patient - From Heart Failure To Hope - The Nebraska Medical Center
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 19, 2013
Jim Daake was always an active guy. Growing up around Norfolk, Neb., he spent a lot of time hunting, fishing and at 6 feet 11 inches, he loved to play basketball. What was first thought to be a case of pneumonia stopped that active streak. It started three years ago when Daake had trouble breathing. His family doctor treated him for pneumonia, but when his breathing trouble continued, Daake went back to the doctor.
"He did more tests," Daake recalls. "They told me I had congestive heart failure."
Daake's doctor referred him to heart failure specialist Ioana Dumitru, MD. "At that point, I was very sick and I put my life in her hands," he recalls. He says with Dr. Dumitru's guidance, his condition stabilized for about two years. About a month ago, Daake was at the med center for a check-up. His condition had worsened. It was past the point where medication could help. His heart needed mechanical help. Daake met with heart surgeon John Um, MD and learned about the Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD).
"It wasn't a hard decision," Daake remembers. "You either have to live with what you've got or give the device a shot."
The Mechanical Circulatory Support Program, which implants the devices and manages LVAD patients, started in 2009. Since then, the program has grown rapidly and provides options for patients who previously had none. Initially, the LVAD was used exclusively to keep patients alive until they could receive a heart transplant. In 2011, the program achieved a milestone when it was approved for Destination Therapy. This meant they could now implant the device for heart failure patients who were not candidates for heart transplant. When surgeons connect the LVAD to the heart, it takes over the job of pumping blood out of the heart and into the aorta, the body's main blood vessel.
Daake didn't know it when he talked to Dr. Um about his surgery, but he was about to become the medical center's 100th LVAD patient. In his words, he was "lucky number 100."
Daake underwent LVAD surgery Aug. 13. He is recovering well and looking forward to regaining his strength and enjoying more time with his wife and 19 and 22 year-old sons. "It was life-changing," he says. "I want to get back to living life again."
As for being the 100th LVAD patient? "I feel good that they have helped 100 people before me and they will help hundreds of people after me."
For more information visit www.NebraskaMed.com or call 1-800-922-0000.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:07 Adult Congenital Heart Disease - Taylor's Story - The Nebraska Medical Centerby The Nebraska Medical Center932 views
- 3:26 Gilbert's Story - The Nebraska Medical Centerby The Nebraska Medical Center397 views
- 6:12 Teens in Transplant - then and now - The Nebraska Medical Centerby The Nebraska Medical Center719 views
- 5:53 Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) As Destination Therapy - The Nebraska Medical Centerby The Nebraska Medical Center4,856 views
- 55:28 ACUTE AORTIC DISSECTION: "Go Directly to the OR; Do Not Pass Go; Do Not Collect $200"by Arie Blitz10,971 views
- 12:59 Aortic Valve Replacement: Operative Technique. Arie Blitz, MDby Arie Blitz67,553 views
- 12:17 LVAD Insertion - Dr. Vivek Rao & Dr. Jorge Catripby OR Media Surgical Video734 views
- 10:44 Heart Failure (Part 1) - Types & Etiologies (Nursing)by 91JRB1,561 views
- 11:13 Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Lecture. I of VII. Arie Blitz, MDby Arie Blitz5,578 views
- 7:27 LVAD Insertion - Dr. Vivek Raoby OR Media Surgical Video15,154 views
- 10:00 Patient 10 days after having LVADby dhx7333,469 views
- 13:01 LVAD Most commonby distanceCME463 views
- 41 videos Play all Cardiovascular Surgeriesby Riceater88
- 6:15 HeartMate II: Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) - Introductionby LVADs6,712 views
- 16:41 Prof Luigi Martinelli HVAD Heartware implant.mp4by Aptiva Medical13,548 views
- 11:14 Two Cardiac Arrestsby Larry Mellick136,302 views
- 1:28:00 Heart Failure: Causes Treatments and Living Wellby University of California Television (UCTV)34,750 views
- 1:10:57 Sunitha Open Heart With RKby abntelugutv484,031 views
- 8:42 LVAD 01: Anatomy and Physiologyby Rahul Patwari1,094 views
- 8:43 Family doctor Episode 0605 Seg 1by Saam Marathi2,576 views