How Evolution Works 7: Speciation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2009
I discuss what speciation is, and how it works. Examples and peer reviewed references are also given.
For information regarding how organisms with Robertsonian translocations can reproduce, see
Bruere AN, Ellis PM., Cytogenetics and reproduction of sheep with multiple centric fusions (Robertsonian translocations). J Reprod Fertil 1979 Nov;57(2):363-75.
 Britton-Davidian et al. Rapid chromosomal evolution in island mice.
Nature. 2000 Jan 13;403(6766):158.
 Podos, Jeff. Vocal mechanics in Darwin's finches: correlation of beak gape and song frequency.
Journal of Experimental Biology 207, 607-619 (2004).
 Miller, Hilary C. A molecular phylogeny of New Zealands Petroica (Aves: Petroicidae) species based on mitochondrial DNA sequences.
Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution: Volume 40, Issue 3, September 2006, Pages 844-855
 Katharine Byrne and Richard A Nichols (1999) "Culex pipiens in London Underground tunnels: differentiation between surface and subterranean populations"
 Byrne, K. and R. A. Nichols, 1999. Culex pipiens in London Underground tunnels: differentiation between surface and subterranean populations. Heredity 82: 7-15.
 Nuttall, Nick, 1998. Stand clear of the Tube's 100-year-old super-bug. Times (London), 26 Aug. 1998, 1. http://www.gene.ch/gentech/1998/Jul-S...
 Feder, J. L., C. A. Chilcote and G. L. Bush. 1988. Genetic differentiation between sympatric host races of the apple maggot fly, Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature. 336:61-64.
 Prokopy, R. J., S. R. Diehl, and S. H. Cooley. 1988. Oecologia. 76:138.
 McPheron, B. A., D. C. Smith and S. H. Berlocher. 1988. Genetic differentiation between host races of Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature. 336:64-66.
 Schluter, D. 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 351: 807-814. Also, see 
 Halliburton, R. and G. A. E. Gall. 1981. Disruptive selection and assortative mating in Tribolium castaneum. Evolution. 35:829-843.
 McKinnon, J. S., S. Mori, B. Blackman, L. David, D. M. Kingsley, L. Jamieson, J. Chou, and D. Schluter. 2004. Evidence for ecologys role in speciation. Nature 429: 294-298.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:34 How Evolution Adds New Informationby DonExodus2 Featured 88,303
- 9:37 How Evolution Works 8: Speciation IIby DonExodus222,082 views
- 10:00 List of Scientists Rejecting Evolution- Do they really?by DonExodus2111,727 views
- 8:11 Lets Test Them: Evolution vs. Creationismby DonExodus21,000,941 views
- 8:45 How Evolution Works- Forces (Part 2)by DonExodus255,909 views
- 1:56:17 Evolution - Part 1 of 7 - Darwin's Dangerous Idea (PBS Documentary)[HD 720p]by cocokoreena19,124 views
- 1:46:56 Evolution: How We Know it Happened & Why it Matters (with Dr. Donald Prothero)by Skeptic Magazine71,103 views
- 1:52:05 Evolution - What Darwin Never Knew - NOVA PBS Documentaryby cocokoreena131,501 views
- 1:25:22 Desmontando la Teoria de la Evolucion de Darwinby legnalenjaChannel34,851 views
- 32:34 Forbidden Science - Shattering the Myths of Darwin's Theory of Evolutionby UFOTVstudios307,060 views
- 10:57 Origin And Evolution Of Lifeby Best0fScience156,931 views
- 5:12 Evolution of Altruismby DonExodus224,705 views
- 15:27 Speciation and Macroevolutionby biologosfoundation4,791 views
- 57:11 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne, AAI 2009by Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science174,747 views
- 48:22 Biology 1B - Lecture 22: Speciationby UCBerkeley1,199 views
- 1:05:20 DARWIN Y LA EVOLUCIÓN BIOLÓGICAby Wegener Tesla34,329 views
- 10:30 The Creationists' Nightmareby AuntieDiluvian277,525 views
- 58:46 Is it time for all religions to accept evolution?by Tr3Vel0cita301,985 views
- 47:39 Biology 1B - Lecture 23: Species and Speciation IIby UCBerkeley6,082 views
- 8:53 What is Evolution?by Stated Clearly182,962 views
- Loading more suggestions...