Bath Rugby 6 v 26 Northampton Saints Official Highlights 31-03-12 | Aviva Premiership Rugby
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 2, 2012
Bath's hopes of snatching a Heineken Cup spot next season are fading fast after Northampton shrugged off the midweek suspensions of skipper Dylan Hartley and Calum Clark to claim a comfortable 26-6 win at the Recreation Ground.
Saints duly moved back into the Aviva Premiership Rugby play-off places thanks to a first-half penalty try converted by Ryan Lamb, who added two penalties and a drop goal before the break. Stephen Myler converted a catch-and-drive try credited to former Bath hooker Andy Long to seal the victory.
Stephen Donald kicked two penalties for the home side, whose season is petering out with owner Bruce Craig already seeking a new man to take charge of the playing side from Sir Ian McGeechan.
All Black Donald resumed training only last week after seven weeks out with knee ligament damage, but found himself immediately restored at fly-half as Tom Heathcote was ruled out with whiplash. Dan Hipkiss made his first start since September, partnering Matt Carraro in the centre, after Olly Barkley was dropped from the squad. Matt Banahan, similarly left out for the trip to Harlequins, returned on the right wing.
Bath saw nothing of the ball in the first 10 and then conceded a five-metre scrum. Referee Martin Fox awarded Northampton two penalties for collapsing the drive before going under the posts for the penalty try, converted by Lamb.
From Northampton's next attack it took a last-ditch tackle by Carraro to deprive Paul Diggin and the cover was back to shove Christian Day into touch at the flag. Bath managed to win the line-out but could not escape the Saints stranglehold and the pressure was rewarded by a 24th-minute penalty from Lamb.
It was 30 minutes before Bath finally had a chance of gaining a toehold in the game, with Donald missing a straightforward penalty before succeeding a minute later with a more difficult attempt.
Donald then almost set up a try by gathering his own grubber kick, but Ryan Caldwell could not get his pass away and, with no advantage gained from an offence back at the line-out, Donald kicked a penalty from nearly 50 metres.
However, Northampton finished the half strongly with Lamb first dropping a goal and then knocking over a penalty from wide on the right to make it 16-6.
Caldwell burst away from a ruck on the 22 as the game restarted and forced Ashton to infringe at a ruck, but Donald was wide with the 40-metre penalty. A minute later, Donald's flat pass put Banahan into space and he kicked ahead for the chasing Carraro.
Ashton got there first but appeared to palm the ball dead. Although the TV match official was able to rule that no Bath player had managed to ground the ball, Ashton escaped sanction.
With Nick Abendanon running dangerously from full-back, it was Saints' turn to feel the pressure, especially when Mark Sorenson was sent to the bin for a cynical infringement. Abendanon looked as if he would score after rescuing a faltering attack but Ben Foden cut him down just short of the line.
The seven-man Saints pack wilted at a scrum but Donald was wide from 45 metres, his third missed penalty. When presented with a similar kick, though, Lamb edged his side 19-6 ahead and Bath's cause was further undermined when replacement flanker Guy Mercer was sin-binned on the hour.
Just three minutes later a jubilant Long came up with the ball after the Northampton pack drove over from a line-out and Myler added the conversion to take the lead to an unassailable 20 points.
The official Youtube channel of Premiership Rugby with exclusive news, match highlights, player profiles and more.
To find out more about Premiership Rugby visit:
Premiership Rugby on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Standard YouTube License
- 5:57 Bath Rugby 7s 35 - 12 Worcester Warriors 7s: JP Morgan Premiership Rugby 7's Tournamentby Premiership Rugby1,149 views
- 4:14 Bath Rugby 7s 17 - 24 Gloucester Rugby 7s: JP Morgan Premiership Rugby 7's Tournamentby Premiership Rugby1,243 views
- 9:17 Guinness Behind the Badge - Bath Rugby - Series 3 Episode 3 | Premiership Rugbyby Premiership Rugby2,836 views
- 1:45 Gloucester Rugby 27-28 Exeter Chiefs - Official Highlights 24-03-12 | Aviva Premiership Rugbyby Premiership Rugby3,245 views
- 2:09:39 RU 2013 Rugby Championship New Zealand v South Africaby Roman Livonski21,769 views
- 1:47:39 [RUGBY] Gloucester Vs. Northampton || Aviva Premiership Round 03 21/09/2013 [Full Match]by Luis Martinez2,272 views
- 1:30:51 Heineken Cup 2013-14 Northampton Saints vs Ospreys 20 Oct Full Matchby Richard Willis3,591 views
- 1:36:51 Wales vs Springboks 2013by TTRugbyVids NZ56,557 views
- 1:36:51 London Irish vs Northampton Saints 3 Nov 2013 Full Matchby Richard Willis2,501 views
- 12:19 Simon Zebo Hat Trick Northampton v Munster Heineken Cupby shk761937,702 views
- 1:46:41 Full Match - Japan vs All Blacks - November 2013 - European Tourby Unlimited Sports111,921 views
- 1:41:41 The Rugby Championship 2013 New Zealand vs South Africa 14 Sept Full Matchby Richard Willis183,351 views
- 9:23 Bath v Wigan Rugby Union (1st Half) - 1996 Clash of the Codesby wiganer19834,226 views
- 7:45 Ronan O'Gara Winning Drop Goal v Northampton Following Epic 41 Phases Heineken Cup 12/11/11by VicMackey070,120 views
- 10:33 Wigan v Bath Rugby League (1st Half) - 1996 Clash of the Codesby wiganer19836,657 views
- 2:16:08 Rugby Championship South Africa v New Zealand Test 2by Roman Livonski78,857 views
- 1:33:22 All Blacks vs France 2013by TTRugbyVids NZ62,581 views
- 7:14 Banahan high tackle leads to Leicester - Bath brawl | 2 red cardsby RugbyFightsReturn43,409 views
- 2:19:23 RWC 2003 - Final - England vs. Australiaby hike6ones129,796 views
- 1:33:32 All Blacks vs England 2013by TTRugbyVids NZ166,595 views
- Loading more suggestions...