This video is unavailable.
VP Joe Biden ENDORSES same-sex marriage
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 6, 2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Vice President Joe Biden became the highest-ranking official in the Obama administration to signal support for same-sex marriage on Sunday during an interview with "Meet The Press."
Biden stopped just a touch short from outright saying that he backs marriage equality. But the implication was beyond clear that he has completed the so-called evolution on gay marriage that President Obama has yet to finish.
"And you're comfortable with same-sex marriage now?" "Meet the Press" host David Gregory asked.
"I am vice president of the United States of America," Biden replied. "The president sets the policy. I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And quite frankly, I don't see much of a distinction-- beyond that."
There is a distinction between civil unions and gay marriage, of course, and the transcript of the Biden interview doesn't make it clear if he distinguishing between the two or blurring those lines. He would go on to duck a question about whether the president would come out for same-sex marriage during the second term in office, offering only the following when asked if he'd like to see that happen.
The president continues to fight, whether it's Don't Ask, Don't Tell or whether it is making sure, across the board that you cannot discriminate. Look [at] the executive orders he's put in place: Any hospital that gets federal funding, which is almost all of them, they can't deny a partner from being able to have access to their partner who's ill or making the call on whether or not they -- you know -- it's just -- this is evolving.
And by the way, my measure, David, and I take a look at when things really begin to change, is when the social culture changes. I think "Will and Grace" probably did more to educate the American public than almost anything anybody's ever done so far. And I think -- people fear that which is different. Now they're beginning to understand.
Gay-rights leaders and much of the Democratic Party will cheer Biden's comments. But, as the Huffington Post reported several weeks ago, there remains some deep, political, trepidation among the president's political advisers over endorsing same-sex marriage before the election is over.
Indeed, almost instantaneously, the Obama campaign was trying to slice a fine line on the vice president's remark, declaring them no further along the evolutionary spectrum than where the president currently stands: "What VP said -- that all married couples should have exactly the same legal rights -- is precisely POTUS's position," tweeted David Axelrod, Obama's top political adviser.
Biden's office , however, would tell NBC's Chuck Todd, shorty after the "Meet the Press" interview concluded, that he was speaking on his own and not on behalf of the administration. - Huffington Post
Standard YouTube License
- 11:59 AC360 - President Obama's Flip-Flop On Same-Sex Marriageby SuchIsLifeVideos 19,933 views
- 10:44 Dr. Phil - Same-Sex Marriage: Right Or Wrong? - Proposition 8 - Pt. 2/4by SuchIsLifeVideos 107,682 views
- 28:57 The Problem with Same-Sex Marriageby frcblog 77,045 views
- 1:29 Mitt Romney Defends His Opposition to Same-Sex Marriageby nomvideofeed 11,917 views
- 5:00 Judge Judy on The View 'Gay Marriage and Irresponsible Parenting'by madbadhadsad 207,368 views
- 0:59 President Obama Officially Affirms His Support for Same-Sex Marriage 5/9/2012by AllAccess181 15,044 views
- 5:16 Obamas speech for same-sex marriage.flvby Cady Carmichael 7,350 views
- 5:34 President Obama ENDORSES Gay Marriage in emotional interview with ABCby orangecountyfldems 31,805 views
- 4:08 Bill Maher Tells President Obama To Get On Board With Gay Marriage!by flguy2011 53,171 views
- 2:31 Obama endorses same sex marriageby Igor Volsky 63,092 views
- 14:42 Rachel Maddow SLAMS GOP with FACTS on Equal Pay for Womenby orangecountyfldems 9,059 views
- 0:48 Michelle Obama: Same-Sex Marriage is the New American Dream?!by nomvideofeed 4,576 views
- 2:13 Barack Obama Fully Supports Same Sex Marriage - May 9th 2012by TheYoungnews 31,027 views
- 7:17 Joe Biden's Greatest Hitsby Vikingv Norske 215,700 views
- 2:07 Jane Lynch on Obama's Gay Marriage Supportby CNN 14,568 views
- 10:38 Dr. Phil - Same-Sex Marriage: Right Or Wrong? - Proposition 8 - Pt 1/4by SuchIsLifeVideos 199,044 views
- 2:14 SNL spoofs Biden-Ryan debateby CNN 714,256 views
- 0:52 Jay-Z: Opposing Same-Sex Marriage is Discriminationby CNN 84,099 views
- 4:52 Joe Biden Gaffesby Amy Proctor 189,213 views
- 5:02 Ted Nugent Goes Off In CBS Interviewby TheYoungTurks 307,832 views
- Loading more suggestions...