This video is unavailable.
INTERPOL's Trafficking in Illicit Goods Programme
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 22, 2012
At INTERPOL, we are working to identify, disrupt and dismantle transnational organized networks behind the trafficking in illicit goods.
Trafficking in illicit goods, is a generic term used by INTERPOL to describe all types of illicit trade. It includes such practices as counterfeiting (trademark infringements), piracy (copyright infringements), smuggling of legitimate products and tax evasion. Selling fake or counterfeit products as the real thing is one aspect of this crime; so is selling genuine goods on the black market to avoid paying taxes. By avoiding regulatory controls the criminals behind these activities typically peddle often dangerous goods with a complete disregard for the health and safety of consumers. The phenomenon has grown to an unprecedented level, posing tremendous risks to society and the global economy.
All levels of society are impacted by trafficking in illicit goods. For example, counterfeiting harms businesses which produce and sell legitimate products, governments lose tax revenue from products manufactured or sold on the black market, and consumers are at risk from substandard products.
The role of organized crime
A clear link has been established between the trafficking of illicit goods and transnational organized crime. Criminal organizations are attracted by the lucrative profits involved in trading counterfeit or fake goods, or in trading legitimate goods through illicit channels. The criminals involved manufacture and trade illicit goods on a regional and increasingly global scale.
Organized crime networks exploit new technology, differences among national regulatory regimes and links between the global economic, finance and transportation systems for their own gain. They use the profits to fund other criminal activities such as drug trafficking, people smuggling and robbery.
Our activities revolve around three main areas:
Operations: we support regional and global operations to break up the networks behind trafficking in illicit goods and to remove dangerous and sub-standard goods from circulation.
Training: we deliver clear, consistent and specialized training programmes under the umbrella of the International IP Crime Investigators College (IIPCIC). These enable investigators to effectively combat current and emerging threats posed by all types of trafficking in illicit goods.
Information exchange: we facilitate the sharing of intelligence on trafficking in illicit goods via our secure police communications system and specialized databases. These databases help us to analyse trends and better target our on-the-ground interventions in partnership with police, customs, regulatory bodies and the private sector.
Additionally, we provide a central reference point on trafficking in illicit goods for all INTERPOL member countries and public and private stakeholders. We work to build partnerships with a wide range of representatives across sectors in order to facilitate a multidisciplinary response to this complex issue. We currently partner with more than 40 different industry sectors and a number of cross-industry associations and representative bodies.
As part of this, we organize and participate in a number of international and cross-sector events and conferences. We are interested in cooperating with law enforcement authorities, the public and private sectors in the fight against trafficking in illicit goods. If you represent one of these entities and would like to have further information please contact us.
Standard YouTube License
- 24:47 People & Power - The Organ Tradersby AlJazeeraEnglish 7,649 views
- 3:19 Imminent TV Event - Mass Arrests of 10,000 ZIONIST CRIMINAL CABAL Members - 2012by Astraelia Vega 2,584 views
- 2:27 Chinese Counterfeit Goods Span Entire Economic Spectrumby themop11 1,402 views
- 19:10 TRADEMARK COUNTERFEITINGby InvestigativeCo 1,061 views
- 10:25 Gana Dinero En Mercado Libre Vendiendo Productos Chinosby BethoMex1 1,294 views
- 12:02 INTERPOL Conference Israel 8/5/12 Israeli Inspector General Yohanan Danino Opening Remarksby BoazGuttman 246 views
- 3:10 5 tips para comprar productos de chinaby Importaria 4,532 views
- 10:12 Como Encontrar Productos Economicos En Focalpriceby BethoMex1 1,589 views
- 5:37 NATIONAL CENTRAL BUREAU INTERPOL BUCHAREST-ROMANIAby OptimalMediaComm 1,411 views
- 5:55 Counterfeit FAKE Chinese Cosmetics Dangerous to your Healthby AntiCommunistChina 2,048 views
- 4:55 Counterfeiting in Chinaby OSUexperts 1,690 views
- 15:53 Productos de Marca VS Productos Chinosby edulife 3,394 views
- 4:35 Smuggling, Used-Clothing Sales, Hurt Kenya Textile Industryby VOAvideo 1,563 views
- 3:47 The Lighter side of NBA - Bloopersby WinLeynDisguise 3,663,997 views
- 2:29 Homeland Security Targets Counterfeit Goodsby JHackettNews 1,341 views
- 2:18 Interpol Conference Addresses Counterfeiting And Piracyby NTDTV 627 views
- 10:10 Counting the cost- Counterfeit goods-Sep 3 09 - Pt 1by AlJazeeraEnglish 4,449 views
- 1:26:00 U.S. Helsinki Commission Hearing - "Human Trafficking and Transnational Organized Crime"by HelsinkiCommission 273 views
- 3:57 Visions: Development & Illicit Drug Useby unimelb 1,108 views
- 9:38 How Globalization Affects Transnational Crimeby cfr 2,832 views
- Loading more suggestions...