Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 15, 2009
In a just world, the idea of wealth--be it money derived from the work of human hands, the resources and natural splendor of the planet itself--and the knowledge handed down through generations belongs to all of us. But in our decidedly unjust and imperfect world, our collective wealth is increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few. There is be a better way--the notion of the commons--common land, resources, knowledge--is a common-sense way to share our natural, cultural, intellectual riches.
In this innovative animation, filmmaker Laura Hanna, writer Gavin Browning and video artists/animators Dana Schechter and Molly Schwartz examine the concept of "The Commons" as a means to achieve a society of justice and equality.
Video licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b... to view the license.
Inspiration from the film came from four provocative books:
Unjust Desserts: How the Rich Are Taking Our Common Inheritance and Why We Should Take it Back by Gar Alperovitz and Lew Daly ( http://www.thenewpress.com/index.php?... )
Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water, by Maude Barlow ( http://www.thenewpress.com/index.php?... )
Viral Spiral: How the Commoners Built a Digital Republic of Their Own, by David Bollier ( http://www.thenewpress.com/index.php?... )
The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All, by Peter Linebaugh ( http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10... )
In cyberspace, the "viral spiral" is a way ideas and innovations grow and be shared with ever-larger numbers of people. That spiral path could be the way the ideas of the commons can help shape a more just society. Learn more at OnTheCommons.org.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license" in a prominent
place near the video frame.
You should also insert a web link to the Creative Commons page for the
Attribution license, which is: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b....
Standard YouTube License
- 3:45 Sean Penn: The Truth About Chavez and Castroby The Nation187,619 views
- 4:11 Blackwater: Leaving Iraq, Chasing Pirates?by The Nation74,214 views
- 2:31 Wanted: More White Babiesby The Nation99,186 views
- 8:35 Naomi Klein: Disaster Capitalismby The Nation325,770 views
- 41:45 The Gift Economy and the Commonsby immediacytv7,927 views
- 1:04:01 Al Bartlett Interviewby LearnMoreAboutClim88,880 views
- 12:53 Cenk Uygur Cuts Off Peter Schiff's Mic Then Kicks Him Off The Show!by MOXNEWSd0tC0M219,128 views
- 1:18:10 Is Market Failure an argument against government? - David Friedmanby StatelessLiberty9,301 views
- 36 videos Play all Waterby ywuntendrolma
- 3:04 White Mommy, White Daddy, Black Baby (Family Tree)by ExpandedBooks6,348,496 views
- 17:16 Disney College Program Spring 2014: 18 Things I Wish I Knew Beforehandby christopherfoye
- 14:45 Introduction to Market Failure - Negative Externalities of Productionby Jason Welker14,462 views
- 1:00:39 Michael Hardt "On The Right To The Common"by Wilder House1,324 views
- 11:20 Stossel - 'The Tragedy Of The Commons' 12/5/10 1 of 4by PenguinProseMedia7,178 views
- 10:27 Disney College Program HOW TO QUIT+WHY I QUIT+MORE ADVICEby keseyjo23,358 views
- 2:37 Blue Gold : World Water Wars (Trailer)by Sam Bozzo216,931 views
- 1:05:03 Amartya Sen and Elinor Ostrom - A discussion on Global Justiceby Calit2ube4,627 views
- 14:07 Market Failure - Negative Externalities of Consumptionby Jason Welker21,582 views
- 11:14 John Stossel - Tragedy Of The Commonsby LibertyPen16,293 views
- 1:05:35 Dr Albert Bartlett: Arithmetic, Population and Energyby john shade13,281 views