Caveman Blogger Fights for Free Speech and Internet Freedom
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 29, 2012
Can the government throw you in jail for offering advice on the Internet about what food people should buy at the grocery store?
That is exactly the claim made by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition. In December 2011, diabetic blogger Steve Cooksey started a Dear Abby-style advice column on his popular blog (www.diabetes-warrior.net) to answer reader questions. One month later, the State Board informed Steve that he could not give readers advice on diet, whether for free or for compensation, because doing so constituted the unlicensed, and thus criminal, practice of dietetics. The State Board also told Steve that his private emails and telephone calls with readers and friends were illegal, as was his paid life-coaching service. The State Board went through Steve's writings with a red pen, indicating what he may and may not say without a government-issued license.
But the First Amendment does not allow the government to ban people from sharing ordinary advice about diet, or scrub the Internet—from blogs to Facebook to Twitter—of speech the government does not like. North Carolina can no more force Steve to become a licensed dietitian than it could require Dear Abby to become a licensed psychologist.
That is why on May 30, 2012, Steve Cooksey joined the Institute for Justice in filing a major free speech lawsuit against the State Board in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Charlotte Division. This lawsuit seeks to answer one of the most important unresolved questions in First Amendment law: When does the government's power to license occupations trump free speech?
Standard YouTube License
- 1:38:06 Paleo Diet & Strength Training Biochemistry | Doug McGuff M.D. | Full Length HDby The 21 ConventionFeatured 292,550
- 5:05 Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?by Institute for Justice - Freedom Flix 172,705 views
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice 108,962 views
- 1:56 Can the Government Make Entrepreneurs Do Useless Things For No Reason?by Institute for Justice - Freedom Flix 19,098 views
- 2:35 FREE SPEECH FIGHT: New Orleans Bureaucrats Silence Speech, Tour Guides Fight Backby InstituteForJustice 7,530 views
- 9:22 Rowan Atkinson on England and Freedom of Speechby yazchattiest 5,589 views
- 1:19 Can The Government Outlaw Groupon Discounts?by InstituteForJustice 6,026 views
- 1:24:53 Christopher Titus - Norman Rockwell Is Bleeding (2004)by bulldog51981 857,800 views
- 8:41 LibLabCon crack down on UK internet free speech (18Mar13)by liarpoliticians 946 views
- 6:03 So You Want To Be A Blogger | Blogging Tips For Noobs: EP.1 Starting Offby Billy McGovern 12,068 views
- 27:32 Dr. Benjamin Carson's Amazing Speech at the National Prayer Breakfast with Obama Presentby Freedom's Lighthouse Video 2,791,911 views
- 3:38 Your allotted amount of free speech has expired!by LainieDuro 14,394 views
- 3:07 Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solutionby BrianP1350 94,491 views
- 1:50 Explainer: Did Cavemen Eat Vegetables?by slatester 18,006 views
- 9:53 Earn Money With Blogger In 12 Minutes - Robert Evansby Robert Evans 63,981 views
- 1:33 Paleo Diet Review - What Is The Paleo Diet Lifestyle?by Robert Cummings 3,150 views
- 4:28 How to Make Money Blogging| Discover How to Make Money Blogging with Viral Blogging Systemby HowMakeMoneyBloggin 51,777 views
- 59:44 Secretary Clinton Speaks on Internet Freedomby U.S. Department of State 24,614 views
- 2:43 If a Police Dog "Alerts," Should You Lose Your Cash, Car and Other Property?by InstituteForJustice 14,340 views
- 2:51 Gov't to makeup artists: Put down the blush, or we'll shut you DOWNby InstituteForJustice 11,827 views
- Loading more suggestions...