Sheila Bair on the Consequences of ZIRP, Bank Bailouts, and a Post-Geithner Treasury!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 3, 2012
check us out on Facebook
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. Wall Street banks, including Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, are looking to help their foreign customers skirt new US regulations for over-the-counter derivatives. The banks found ways to route trades via non-US affiliates, exploiting the lack of a precise definition for what constitutes a "US person." Wall Street's attempts to circumvent regulations may not come as a surprise, but what is the antidote? We talk to Former FDIC chairwoman Sheila Bair about her experience as a regulator during the financial crisis.
Plus, both the US and the EU have pushed back deadlines to implement the Basel III capital requirements; the Basel III framework more than triples core capital requirements for lenders. Our guest, Sheila Bair, spent much of her career at the FDIC fighting to increase capital requirements, and was critical of the Basel II framework, which let big banks evaluate their assets with their own internal risk models. Bair faced opposition from international regulators as well as the media: in 2006 The Economist wrote about the "Battle over Basel II," and after mentioning Sheila Bair, stated that American supervisors were "luddites." We ask Sheila Bair, author of Bull By the Horns, if there is any way to reform our banking system, which is built on credit and leverage, without causing a recession.
We also ask Sheila Bair about the effects of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (H.R. 4173), and if anything has materially changed since the passage of this law. Sheila Bair believes that certain things have changed, and does not believe that a bailout remains in the cards. We remain skeptical...
And, we often talk about financial regulations that disproportionately hurt smaller players. Sheila Bair laid out some specific examples in her book from her time in the regulatory trenches. We explain her examples in Today's "Reality Check."
Last but not least, in today's Loose Change, Lauren and Demetri discuss the latest news from Europe, and the revelations that a member of the former Greek Prime Minister's immediate family has found herself named in the now infamous "Lagarde list." George Papandreou's mother is on the list of Greeks with Swiss bank accounts. Her holdings are tied to an account containing more than 500 million euros, according to the Telegraph. Lauren and Demetri discuss the problems with foreign bank accounts in today's "Loose Change."
Standard YouTube License
- 28:03 Nigel Farage on the Rise of UKIP, the Fall of Europe, and the Parallels for the USby CapitalAccount131,035 views
- 28:02 Eichengreen on the Gold Standard, the Dollar Standard, and a New Global Currency Orderby CapitalAccount9,845 views
- 28:04 The Dollar Collapse Revisited and a Bull Market in US Treasuries w/Peter Schiff!by CapitalAccount54,040 views
- 4:05 Sheila Bair on JP Morgan-Bear Stearns, the Bailout of Citigroup & Breaking up the Banksby CapitalAccount1,755 views
- 1:02:05 BEST DOUG CASEY SPEECH EVER! An Anarchist, Economic Collapse & 7 billion Chimpanzeesby FutureMoneyTrends56,211 views
- 15:15 Lewis Black Explain Just How WHITE Mitt Romney Really Isby MOXNEWSd0tC0M148,722 views
- 44:19 MUST HEAR: THE BANKS ARE GEARING UP FOR THE COLLAPSE - Dave Hodgesby SGTreport.com127,733 views
- 17:50 JPMorgan BUYING GOLD?! $60,000/oz Gold? - Bill Murphyby FinanceAndLiberty8,445 views
- 9:05 How Goldman Sachs makes money - Part 1 of 2by dogshu23,876 views
- 12:23 The Gold Standard: How Does it Work? Do We Need It?by Bright Enlightenment4,369 views
- 8:42 Lauren Lyster Inadvertently Blows Massive Hole In Peter Schiff's Senseless Money Supply Argumentby SchittReport41,629 views
- 13:20 Your Bank Has Failedby CBSNewsOnline23,983 views
- 24:15 'Dollar valueless, about to crash' - World Bank whistleblowerby RT358,677 views
- 59:06 Q&A: Meredith Whitney, Financial Analystby C-SPAN34,800 views
- 49:02 Alex Jones interviews Jan Irvin on Trivium Education (commercial free)by GnosticMedia8,525 views
- 11:10 James Grant: Gold, the Refuge of the Idiotsby etfideas63,247 views
- 47:15 The Secrets of J. Edgar Hooverby HistoryFeed197,511 views
- 19:01 WORLD BANKER MAKES STUNNING CONFESSIONby PremierLegend1,693,439 views
- 11:49 US GOVT GOLD SCANDAL WORSE than IRS SCANDAL! - Bill Murphyby FinanceAndLiberty11,596 views
- 1:13:45 Webster Tarpley - World Crisis Radio - 11-17-12by AgitateWCR4,034 views
- Loading more suggestions...