'Islands & Tigers' in the WOAI.com Garage
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 27, 2012
The members of Islands & Tigers may only be in their teenage years but they're proving that age really ain't nothing but a number. With some high-energy dance moves and musical diversity to the max, the band hopes to take over the San Antonio vintage dance/rock world by storm.
Coming from an artsy magnet high school in San Antonio, the band has a laundry list of talents they incorporate into their live show. Despite the X's on their hands while performing, they never have a hard time surprising concertgoers.
"For our live shows I bring my glockenspiel. I also play tambourine and keyboards. I've been teaching myself how to play because it's a hobby I like to do. It wasn't stressful, it was cool I get to do it in a band now. Now I'm cooler than everybody," says Alexa Rivas.
Members Dane Rousay and Daniel Escalante have no trouble switching off from bass to drums to keep their set fresh. Each member is able to play different instruments, a talent that's helped set them apart from their peers.
Being a young band and booking shows is the last thing on their minds.
"We are confident that once people hear us they'll want to book us. If you don't book us because we're young, your loss," says lead man Bobby Rivas.
With tons of live shows at bars and parties under their belt, there is one appearance that the band won't be forgetting anytime soon.
"The coolest show we've played so far was in a Barnes and Noble bathroom. It was an acoustic set. We huddled up and did some covers and a few of our songs. We built up this big crowd of people in the bathroom. When we finished playing they were all clapping, we didn't even know they were there because we were crowded into a little stall. On a toilet with a guitar, you can't beat it," says Rivas.
While the band is keeping the details of their new album under wraps until later this summer, they shared 2 songs with us in The Garage studio.
"We've got anything from saxophone to melotica to glockenspiel. We put all different kinds of instruments on there but we still try to stay true to this kind of sound," says Rivas.
Islands & Tigers gave us a taste of their songs "Bombshell" and "Nostalgia" -- a track about acclimating to new times and new beginnings.
With the set-list picked out and the album on it's way, Islands & Tigers may be young but have confirmed that a little hard work will get you a long way.
Be sure to check out Islands & Tigers on August 2nd at Leon Springs Dancehall (24135 W Ih 10 San Antonio, TX 78257) and August 5th at Jacks Bar (3030 Thousand Oaks Drive).
For more information about the band check out http://www.facebook.com/Islandsandtigers.
Are you in a band or know of somebody here in San Antonio that should spend some time in our garage? Please let us know! Email MichaelBotsford@woaitv.com.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:40 Best of Railroad Skateparkby Tony NajeraFeatured 757
- 4:12 Islands & Tigers - Nostalgia (live at the 1011 San Antonio)by bobbyotheracount 191 views
- 3:55 Islands & Tigers | Nostalgiaby Islandsandtigers 1,147 views
- 3:39 Islands & Tigers- Close the Doorsby Luke Kardys 281 views
- 3:16 Chicago's Best Steak #2: Tom's Steak Houseby Chicagos Best 2,370 views
- 1:37 THE TRANSIT CURA | TIME (short film)by TheTransitCura1 306 views
- 4:37 So Sweet The Hour - A Better Way To Say Okay (Official Music Video)by sosweetthehourmusic 2,868 views
- 58:33 Natural World: Tiger Island (BBC)by snaileri 575,562 views
- 6:41 Frozen in the Headlights - Secrets and Irisesby secretsandirises 266 views
- 2:55 Ida Red- Billy Mata Band- Leon Springs Dancehallby emmylunatic 2,464 views
- 10:45 Viet-Ruse on WOAI The Garageby Adam Ramone 1,154 views
- 6:05 Secrets and Irises "Arrival for Your Departure"by secretsandirises 227 views
- 10:01 "Julia" - The Transit Curaby Musicman9060 161 views
- 2:59 11:11 - Austin Mahone Music Video | Make A Wish OFFICIALby hyamslife 42,041 views
- 14:13 Televangelist in the WOAI.com Garageby Bob Gambert 283 views
- 4:03 Leopold and his Fiction - "Waves (Golden)" | a Do512 Lounge Sessionby AustinMusicWeekly 2,576 views
- 4:17 Signs of Irisby TrueImageProductions 441 views
- 2:08 In the Studio: Jessterby secretsandirises 168 views
- 5:21 LEOPOLD AND HIS FICTIONby StephenORegan 1,488 views
- 4:03 Like a Version Two Door Cinema Club Ceciliaby Jonah Leake 22,756 views
- Loading more suggestions...