Google Plus (+) and +1 button best practices and tips shared at the Googleplex
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 8, 2011
Byron Gordon, SEO-PR, interviews Timothy Jordan, Developer Advocate, Google, at the Googleplex in Mt. View, California, about his upcoming appearance at SES San Francisco, 2011, and his presentation on Google Plus and the Google +1 button. Timothy starts off by saying that Google Plus is not quite yet ready for businesses to begin using it as a legitimate social media platform for their marketing needs. However, in the meantime, if a brand wants to designate someone within their company that has their own presence on Google Plus and can represent the company in an official capacity, then by all means they should feel free to do so. Timothy cites as an example, that of Michael Dell who has used Google Plus extensively as a means of communicating with this audience.
Timothy then elaborates on the subject of best practices when using the Google +1 button. The +1 button allow users to endorse the content of each user but even more importantly, webmasters are beginning to place the +1 button on category pages, not just recommending a single product but an entire category of product on a website. In addition, Timothy recommends placement of the +1 button on the homepage of a website, that way users when selecting your +1 button are endorsing your entire website, including your brand. Timothy also recommends webmasters take advantage of the call back mechanism associated with the Google +1 button to surface more interesting information to users within a website. Timothy adds that the speed of the +1 button has been increased and is now three times faster than when it was first introduced. Timothy also stresses that webmasters can make the +1 button work even faster if they include canonical URLs to all of their webpages.
As for searching within Google Plus, it's still very early. Timothy recommends as a "patch-on" solution, using Google.com, where you can restrict a search to a particulate site. So if you want to search across posts within Google Plus, Timothy suggests you go to Google.com, type in your search query, and add a site colon, and then plus.google.com.
Timothy concludes with an update to the Google Real Names policy. Google profiles were designed for users to have a public page on the Web that represents a real person in the real-world that you can connect with. By using a common name, it enables your friends and social network that would like to find you to make a connection with you. Google has also modified the process. Your profile isn't suspended immediately for review but you are given a chance to change your name. If your profile is suspended for your review by Google, you still have access to your Google account and all of your gmail.
To learn more about how to use the Google +1 Button callback parameter to unlock exclusive content, go visit:
To learn more about speaking at SES San Francisco, please visit:
Standard YouTube License
- 4:20 Amazing Wilderness Survival Candle - DIY Videoby EconoChallengeFeatured 80,829
- 6:01 Google retargeting and social PPC with Marty Weintraubby SES Conference & Expo 284 views
- 5:47 What Do Brands Look for in Selecting a Digital Agency?by SES Conference & Expo 31 views
- 3:20 Integrating Search and Social Media with Michelle Stinson Ross #SESTOby SES Conference & Expo No views
- 5:51 Attacking with Web Analytics: Garry Przyklenk and Thom Craver at #SESTOby SES Conference & Expo 2 views
- 4:35 How to Install the Google +1 Button on Your Websiteby MetaLOGICDesign 3,173 views
- 5:40 How to Install the Google plus 1 Button - YouTube Video Training with Susan Beesleyby OnlineSuccessSkills 4,355 views
- 4:54 Google Plus Business Pages in Search Resultsby techsavvyagent 2,183 views
- 2:59 How to use Google+ (google plus) effectively for best resultsby Dangelo1000000 10,166 views
- 4:36 Beginners Guide to Google Plusby Tinkernut 71,493 views
- 2:36 What is Google+ (Google Plus) and do I need it?by Epipheo 929,885 views
- 2:22 How to Use Google Plus For Businessby RossPublicRelations 1,278 views
- 9:09 How to set up a Google Plus pageby martin shervington 5,924 views
- 15:13 What is Google Plus? - A Video Tourby Daniel McClure 326,836 views
- 6:44 How to Add Facebook to Your Google Plus Accountby Johnny Phung 11,481 views
- 2:04 Google Girl - Google Plus vs Facebookby BlindLyleFilms 138,689 views
- 27:34 How To Use Facebook To Build Your Brandby stacykinney 775 views
- 50:52 10 Ideas for Creating Killer Posts - Google+ Photographer's Conferenceby kelbymediagroup 7,868 views
- 3:53 First Look at Google's Facebook killer, Google+by CNETTV 167,043 views
- 6:02 +1 Button Experiment By Google - how to add plus one button to your websiteby Adam Khoury 13,346 views
- Loading more suggestions...