Jamie Taylor - Further Phrasing Concepts
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 29, 2011
Excepts from guitarist Jamie Taylor's class, available for download at www.mikesmasterclasses.com
Does any of this sound familiar?
You're building a repertoire of jazz tunes and you're starting to feel comfortable playing the heads and getting around the changes when you solo. You know which notes fit over which chords and you're developing a nice collection of voicings for accompaniment. It's all working fine, as far as it goes. But there's just one problem - you're starting to notice that it sounds a little bit 'square'. Maybe you're getting trapped in four-measure phrases, or you feel as though the bar lines have become like a prison? Perhaps you tend to fall into repetitive patterns when comping? If only it all sounded a little bit more 'hip' rhythmically...
Rest assured - we all know that feeling! Almost all my intermediate to advanced students tell me a version of this story at some stage, and it's something I'm always trying to work on myself. That's why this lesson is designed to equip you with a host of exercises and ideas to get your phrasing onto the next level; I hope it also demystifies some of the rhythmic things that we all love on our favorite records. It's not about playing everything in 5/4 or 7/4 (although I may well explore that in subsequent classes, if people would like me to) -- it's about achieving maximum rhythmic interest and variety in 4/4 and 3/4 time.
Although this is a stand-alone lesson in its own right, it builds to some extent on the material covered in my 'Jazz Time Feel' class; the two are certainly complementary to each other. That lesson was about giving our sense of time a real workout, whereas this one is about being rhythmically creative.
The lesson includes:
• Exercises to help you start and end phrases anywhere within a 4/4 measure.
• Polyrhythmic exercises that superimpose 3/4 against 4/4 time.
• Polyrhythmic exercises that superimpose 4/4 against 3/4 time.
• Exercises to help you feel 4/4 as 12/8, to open up phrasing possibilities.
• Explanation and demonstration of metric modulation.
• Exercises that employ uneven melodic and rhythmic groupings against a regular 4/4 pulse.
• Synchronized on-screen captions so that you know exactly what you're hearing, when you're hearing it.
• Neatly presented transcription of all materials in PDF format, cross-referenced with the on-screen captions.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:27 Free Guitar Lesson - Jazz Phrasing (Major Scale + Arpeggio)by Ponch Satrio 1,876 views
- 2:29 Jamie Taylor - Jazz Time Feelby mgellar 3,169 views
- 6:55 Steve Giordano - Rhythmic Techniquesby mgellar 1,445 views
- 6:36 Jazz Guitar: Phrasing and Playing "Right Notes"by jazzguitarlessonsnet 4,081 views
- 5:49 Jamie Taylor - Improvisation and two etudes on Giant Stepsby Jamie Taylor 1,434 views
- 3:45 Tom Lippincott - Modern Jazz Guitar - Part Iby mgellar 9,796 views
- 4:16 Jamie Taylor - A "Two-Speed" Approach to Rhythm Changesby mgellar 1,793 views
- 4:09 Jazz Phrasing Workoutby MelBayPublications 1,134 views
- 5:38 How to Practice with Chord Shapesby "Chord Shapes for Jazz Guitar" 24,370 views
- 8:29 Guitar Phrasing Exercises And Techniquesby TomHessMusicCorp - Online Guitar Lessons 3,619 views
- 4:44 Randy Brecker clinic on swinging and Bop phrasing articulation.MTSby scottfg's channel 1,429 views
- 18:22 Improve Your Phrasing - Box 1by gr8bluesgtr 107,682 views
- 10:37 Jazz Guitar Chord Video Lesson 3 Note 7th Chordsby MattWarnockGuitar . 2,468 views
- 11:56 Altered Harmony: Why and How (Jazz Guitar Lesson JA-025) How to Playby JustinSandercoe 124,365 views
- 9:30 Learn to Improvise with Music as a Second Languageby MusicSecondLanguage 11,344 views
- 4:37 Tom Lippincott - Modern Jazz Guitar - Part IIby mgellar 6,737 views
- 2:26 Juampy Juarez - Set Theory Improvisationby mgellar 2,286 views
- 2:57 Höfner Verythin Classicby GregsGuitars 3,518 views
- 3:14 Jack Pezanelli - Developing a Linear Approach to Bluesby Mikes Master Classes 2,694 views
- 2:49 Tom Lippincott - Jazz Guitar Harmony - Part IIIby mgellar 3,291 views
- Loading more suggestions...