2013 Summer of Synth Sessions Boulder #01 Octatrack Meets Absynth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 15, 2013
I normally do all my composition and production work indoors. I decided it was just about time to do some sessions outdoors considering the fantastic summer weather and locations we have here in Boulder. Here is my first session "#01 Octatrack meets Absynth"
I'm just getting started with the Elektron Octatrack performance sampler but I decided it would a perfect instrument to kick off a summer session as it's possible to do entire compositions with effects from this one box. I'm finding that playing it from the front panel even without the sequencer can be incredibly expressive even though it doesn't have velocity sensitive buttons. The secret sauce is in the morphing scenes. You can create up to 16 scenes each with it's own parameter settings. You then assign one of these to either Scene A or B on-the-fly. You can then morph between the settings of each scene with the incredibly sensitive optical crossfader which causes the Octatrack to smoothly interpolate between A & B parameter settings. In a nutshell, you are able to control and perform with incredible amount of number shaping parameters in realtime.
#01 Octatrack meets Absynth
I've seen a lot of beat-driven videos so I thought it would be fun to do an ambient piece. This piece is an original improvisation recorded in real-time in one pass playing Octatrack buttons in Chromatic mode. No sequencing is used. There are 3 tracks of audio samples being played. The source samples were rendered from Absynth and include 1) a factory patch called Choiromechanoidz 2) A custom Absynth granular synth patch based on a custom Aalto patch I sampled 3) A custom absynth patch called Broken FM -- pure FM synthesis. The piece makes heavy use of morphong with the crossfader, scene switching on the fly, FX morphing on on tracks and via chained effects (Neighbor Machine).
Sun Position and Aspen Trees
I didn't intend this, but I happened to line the Octatrack up with the shadow of the roof. The piece is long enough and the shadow is close enough to the edge of the instrument that you can easily observe the earth's rotation via the shadow movement. I finish right as the sunlight is about to hit the Octatrack. You can also see a reflection of the Aspen trees above me in the Octatrack's display.
A note to my fellow artists - the Octratrack display and LEDs are easily visible outside as long as you are not in direct sunlight.
Electronic Musician, Composer, Performer
- 32:07 A Weekend with Make Noise :: Tony Rolando, Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe & Richard Devineby experimentalsynth8,348 views
- 13:47 Octatrack tutorial: Using it as a machinedrum++by SB-SIX9,592 views
- 9:47 Ron dorun Dom (dorundorun) - Elektron Octatrack and Elektron Analog Four live setby Rondo Rundom1,327 views
- 14:42 Octatrack + AM Radio = Weekend in Montrealby n3bsvid9,164 views
- 10:57 Techno Jam in the Norwegian Fjordsby memprod681 views
- 8:23 octatrack live performance johnny wanklerby Johannes Winkler1,097 views
- 7:20 Live Beat - Octatrack (Shruthi-1, ElCap)by Trygve Stakkeland26,739 views
- 35:05 Moog Minitaur + Arturia Minibrute CV sequenced by Elektron Analog Fourby MrDataline38,250 views
- 5:23 Octatips - Episode 2 - Beat Jugglingby freetacorrective2,952 views
- 56:12 Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesisby matrixsynth104,107 views
- 59:24 Action Strings - Overviewby Daniel James72,574 views
- 7:56 Live Jamming with Korg Volca Bass, Volca Beats, Octatrack and Quneoby Khantipol Kasemsant1,364 views
- 4:28 Elektron Octatrack DPS-1: How to slice an Amen breakby Arjen Schat38,058 views
- 7:58 Pierre Delort & Remy Maurin Videocast#3 ( full track live recording with octatrack )by Delort Maurin1,973 views
- 6:35 Elektron Analog Four and Machinedrum UW+ doing a bit of electro.. 'Berlin'.by MrMacsens1,326 views
- 23:13 Nick Sibicky's Music Production Secrets #21 - Desinging a Pad in Absynthby Nick Sibicky2,846 views
- 6:51 Elektron Octatrack DPS-1: Ohrwert Deeptech Sessionby Arjen Schat18,809 views
- 7:29 23 Nov / Elektron Launch Party /Analog Four Keys demonstrationby Koyama Ikuo2,652 views
- 6:18 Machinedogs (Elektron Octatrack x2, Korg Kaossilator Pro, Korg Kaoss Pad Quad, Behringer NOX 606)by hadesofspades5,982 views
- 7:30 Dub Techno with Analog Four & Octatrack & VirusTI & Moogby Pheliopolis4,473 views
- Loading more suggestions...