- Startups - David Cohen, Founder and CEO TechStars-TWiST #323
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 22, 2013
Never miss an episode! Subscribe in iTunes: Audio (http://bit.ly/TwiStA) || Video (http://bit.ly/TwiStV)
Get up to 2,000 subscribers and send up to 12,000 emails per month for free with MailChimp. There's no contract, no trial, and the free plan is always free -- visit http://www.mailchimp.com.
ShareFile by Citrix: Secure file transfer, built for business. Visit http://ShareFile.com, click the microphone and enter the code TWIST to get a FULL 30 day FREE trial.
On this episode of TWiST Jason sits down with David Cohen of TechStars. The two gentleman discuss the Series-A Crunch, what makes a good VC, and the future of TechStars.
0:30 Hey Everybody, this is going to be a great episode, welcome David Cohen of TechStars stick with us!
4:15 Our next Live TWiST Event will be with Dave McClure 2/8 in San Francisco!
5:35 ShareFile by Citrix! Enter the code TWIST for a free 30 Day Trial!
7:30 How many programs does TechStars have now?
9:00 Did you think it would be this big when you started it?
9:20 How did you get the brand partners that you have today?
11:00 As a startup how do you balance the startup culture versus your massive brand partners?
13:45 What is the optimum size for a TechStars class?
15:00 What would you define the Series A-Crunch as?
15:40 If the quality of companies is better than it was 10 years ago, then why is there a Series A Crunch?
17:15: What does a startup have to show to get a VC's attention?
18:00: What is social proof? Unpack it.
19:50 What happens to the companies that graduate and don't receive additional funding?
21:00 Do you feel there is a sense of entitlement with startups to receive an A Round?
21:45 Are people gaming the metrics now?
22:30 Let's talk about valuations.
24:20 So optimizing for valuation may not be the best idea for the long run?
25:45 Let's thank our long term friends MailChimp! The free plan is always free!
29:20 How does it feel that you have helped you graduates pull in $200M in funding?
30:00 Why so much transparency with your companies?
31:10 In the last couple of years what is a company that you instantly now they were a winner by meeting the founder?
33:50 What's happening with GroupMe?
34:20 What is something a founder could say that would turn you off to that company forever?
35:15 Are you surprised how often you can tell if someone is dumb or stupid?
36:45 What is the toughest thing about being a founder?
38:30 What is the biggest mistake young founders make after they receive founding?
39:45 What is a party round?
41:20 How much does the stock market effect startups?
42:00 What impact has AngelList made?
45:40 Are acqui-hire deals scaring away Angel Investors?
50:45 Would you ever let Facebook into TechStars to take a look at the companies?
51:25 What do you think about Google in terms of M and A?
51:50 What do you think about Yahoo and Marissa?
52:50 Are there too many startups in the ecosystem now?
53:50 What is the biggest mistake you've made by not funding a company?
54:30 Why is Boulder so filled with superhumans?
56:25 What is about New York and Boston that have lead to an explosion in startups?
57:30 When you have a great company who do you take it to first?
57:45 What make Brad Feld such a great investor?58:25 What is it about those guys that sets them apart from the rest?
58:45 What is the right work that investors need to do?
59:20 Jeff, the superfan, how long have you been watching the program?
59:40 Who are your favorite guests?
60:00 What exactly do you do?
60:30 Do you envision a future where incubators become gatekeepers?
62:45 Does it worry you that a lot of people who run incubators are failed entrepreneurs?
65:45 Do you envision a time where you will open up in the Valley?
66:20 What are the next 2-3 cities you are considering?
68:00 What is the benchmark for success today?
71:45 Have you had companies come in with exact copies of existing companies?
82:40 Do you think the crowdfunding thing is going to work?
74:00 Do you think small companies will ever go public again?
75:30 What trends do you think we will see this year?
77:00 What's coming next from Nike?
77:35 What are the next couple of things we will know about our bodies?
79:50 David thanks so much for being on the show, continued success with TechStars!
80:50 Super fan how much have you learned from these interviews with these founders?
85:50 Thanks to Citrix's ShareFile and MailChimp! We'll see you next time on This Week in Startups!
Follow On Twitter
Special thanks to the members of the TWiST Backchannel Program!
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:31:26 - Startups - Gina Bianchini and Marshall Kirkpatrick--News Roundtable-TWiST #326by ThisWeekIn 2,365 views
- 1:19:54 - Startups - Brad Feld, Managing Director of the Foundry Group -TWiST #319by This Week In 5,201 views
- 2:12:06 This Week in Startups - Gary Vaynerchuk, Partner at VaynerMediaby ThisWeekIn 3,176 views
- 47:15 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital #74 with Tuition.ioby This Week In 2,076 views
- 1:39:56 - Startups - Dave McClure-Founding Partner, 500 Startups-TWiST #328by This Week In 5,480 views
- 1:27:23 Passport To Paris (Full Movie Starring:Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen)by Yamal TV! 389,450 views
- 1:17:40 - Startups - Stephen Stokols, CEO, FreedomPop -TWiST #321by This Week In 2,218 views
- 56:50 - Web Design - Managing complexity with the web design processby ThisWeekIn 1,713 views
- 1:24:33 - Startups - Jeff Clavier founder and Managing Partner, SoftTech VC -TWiST #314by ThisWeekIn 2,088 views
- 57:44 DLD13 - Developing the Developed Worldby DLDconference 1,398 views
- 1:34:59 - Startups - Phil Libin, CEO of Evernote -TWiST #320by ThisWeekIn 3,968 views
- 7:13 TechStar's Brad Feld Discusses Accelerators vs. Incubatorsby John Greathouse 4,682 views
- 1:17:08 Entrepreneurship Through the Lens of Venture Capital | Course Introductionby StanfordUniversity 6,219 views
- 23:02 - Web Design -Sink or Swim With Aureby ThisWeekIn 1,352 views
- 54:19 TechStars - This Week in TechStars - Brad Feld, Jeff Clavier & Ari Newmanby This Week In 9,377 views
- 54:47 Kevin Systrom: From Stanford to Startup [Entire Talk]by Stanford ECorner 20,419 views
- 18:27 - TechStars - Brad Feld of Foundry Group - TWiTS #36by ThisWeekIn 1,480 views
- 1:24:34 - Startups - News Roundtable with Sarah Lacy, David Kirkpatrick and Paul Carr-TWiST #E350by This Week In 1,988 views
- 58:09 Authors@Google: Eric Ries "The Lean Startup"by Talks at Google 64,197 views