Adam Hills - Australian accents
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 1, 2008
Australian Comedian in the Melbourne Comedy Gala Festival 2006, discussing accents.
Some of those who are interested in the script or find it hard to understand, out of the kindness of my heart (well mainly out of procrastination and lack of motivation with my life), I've got the transcript typed up below. Freely point out if some of the words are wrong.
I am aware that as Australians we do have the most annoying accent on the planet.
I am sure you are aware of, for we all do.
If you're aware we all go up at the end of every sentence, cause we're all too insecure to actually make a statement.
So we have to make it sound like it's a question. Cause we secretly need your approval. Even when it's something serious.
"Suzzy got eaten by a shark."
I'm afraid there going to be high court judgers in 30 years time handing out verdicts going "I found you guilty of murder."
And you know what we do here in Australia? I didn't realize 'till we went overseas. We ask questions that don't need answering.
"How nice was the weather today?"
I didn't know we did that until I got to England. I was with a group of English people
"Oh, how heavy is that rain?"
They just looked at me..
I think Jesus might've been an Australian. I think Jesus might've been a Aussie and we've just been reading his scriptures with the wrong inflection. Maybe Jesus walked out in the Sermon of the Mount and just went "Ohh, how blessed are the meek?"
And of course the irony of it all is that we're always so arbituary about the languages we speak in Australia. We were almost colonised by the French. In fact we were almost colonized by the Dutch.
The Dutch arrived in the 1600s but they arrived in the part of Western Australia when desert basically meets ocean. The Dutch basically walked off their ships and walked around going "Well this is ridiculous...we cannot grow marihuana crops here." They sailed off.
The French arrived 150 or so years later, but they arrived in Botany Bay, next to city harbour but kinda like swampy, marshland. The French looked around going "Well I agree with the Dutch, this place is shit. [mimics French]" They sailed off.
Captain Cook arrived in Botany Bay but in a rare display of British optimism. He looked around and went "Well it is a bit shit, but I think if we go around the corner if might be nicer." Although to be fair, I have done my research, Captain Cook would not have sounded like that. Cause Captain Cook actually came from Yorkshire, which means the first words heard by English people upon sailing to Australia would've been "This place is focking shite!"
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Adam Hills - Australian accents
- 6:10 Eminem - Rap God (Explicit)by EminemVEVO Featured 15,893,389
- 1:10:26 Adam Hills - Live In The Suburbsby Eric Lemieux205,043 views
- 13:04 Robin Williams on addiction and comedyby NewsOnABC44,972 views
- 9:43 Adam Hills Live At The Apollo EXTENDED Part 1by ArseRaptor177,452 views
- 6:44 Russell Peters Different Types of Asiansby dave4824485,805 views
- 5:23 Adam Hills - Talking About His Legby Tansy19341,817 views
- 4:29 Tim Minchin on human logicby dizcourage827,994 views
- 3:46 Dylan Moran - Australia, The 'English' voiceby chocchipfox1,178,871 views
- 2:03 Learning Accents with Ben Affleckby TheEllenShow5,263,537 views
- australia 619 videos12K
- 18:10 Adam Hills Inflatable 2011 Part 1by Kadaverslayer86,230 views
- 34:01 Friendly And Cool Method: How Perceived Low Status Makes You Act Weird And Say Stupid S#!@by rsdfreetour100,844 views
- 8:14 The English Language In 24 Accentsby Truseneye9218,328,111 views
- 5:00 Funniest Stand up Comedy Ever by Jim Carreyby HomersOmar12,275,604 views
- 5:06 Things Americans Don't Get!by heykaitlyn291,218,427 views
- 2:35 Salma Hayek's Breasts - The Graham Norton Show - Series 10 Episode 7 - BBC Oneby BBC1,455,727 views
- 4:23 Billy Connolly - On a plane to Australia - Funny storyby ltps526,382 views
- 1:25 Heckler Gets Smashed With Guitar. Shocking. - HecklerBlogby HecklerBlog299,999 views
- 4:02 Hugh Laurie: the British accent vs the Americanby Dronoman15,733,919 views
- 6:49 Stephen K Amos Live At The Apollo - Part 2by liveattheapollo559,129 views