Karl Bartos: Without A Trace Of Emotion -- The Film
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 18, 2013
Hamburg, St. Pauli, Reeperbahn one of these nights in late summer...
Along with the first neon lights and impressions of the city we're about to hear an enchanting melody, reminiscent of a German Volkslied. Somehow the melody seems to encapsulate time by bringing back memories and evoking expectations at once. Why is that so?
Cut. We see Karl Bartos walking down the Große Freiheit, a busy side street off the Reeperbahn. Coming from Indra, passing by Kaiserkeller and Star-Club. Those were the venues where it all began, where all the famous bands and artists from the early 60s had played, including the Beatles.
The melody fades away and Karl sings the first verse: "I'm on my way - got the world at my feet / But I wish I could remix my life to another beat"
Approaching the Reeperbahn Karl makes a left, heading past the Davidwache police station and further down the road to the Panopticum. Bang! Without warning he finds himself in front of a huge billboard on the wall with a well-known face looking back at him: Herr Karl, his legendary showroom dummy doppelgänger from his former life. And in a flashback he visualizes his countless roles and transformations:
- as a photographer, probably right from a shooting with a model; THE model
- the robot appears in a spin
- here's a scene from the TEE film; see the trenchcoat?
- next is the Tour de France outfit; for safety reasons he's wearing a bicycle helmet, of course
Cut. In a rush Karl writes down the arpeggio melody and before too long the doppelgänger is raising his voice: "Every single day I am here to let you know / Whatever happens to you I won't let go, I won't let go"
Cut. Press conference. All cameras capture Herr Karl, his alter ego. The tension is rising and we see the flashlights reflecting in the golden records on the wall, just like crossfire. Standing at the microphones he has nothing to say, not a single word. But throughout the scene he acts without a trace of emotion and looks incredibly cool.
As the music evolves Karl replies to the doppelgänger: "I'm so glad to know that you care about your family / Don't you call me eccentric but you kill me, you kill me"
Suddenly he turns around and walks to the wings. During his walk off - coming from nowhere - someone counts down 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 and here's another flashback sequence of the famous showroom dummy:
- a vocal session
- his Tour de France outfit still looks great
- "You're so close but far away" - The Telephone Call comes to mind
- reading "Melody Maker"
- a vinyl record recalls some wicked electro sounds
- he discovers himself in the looking glass
- dress code: red shirt, black tie
- enjoying an abstract film by Oskar Fischinger
- the super 8-camera is gonna be his best friend
- finally, with a glass of champagne, you can almost hear him say: "Get on with your life"
Cut. Back on the Reeperbahn Karl gets on the bus, in the distance we see the big wheel of the fairground, shining so bright. And on his way home, he thinks to himself: I knew it all along, the perception of music always includes the past, the present and the future.
"Without A Trace Of Emotion" is taken from the new Karl Bartos album "Off The Record" - out now! Further details: karlbartos.com
Standard YouTube License
- 47 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Karl Bartos: Without A Trace Of Emotion -- The Film
- 4:29 How to Join a Conversationby WheezyWaiter Featured 116,724
- 1:02:32 Kraftwerk - Live in Concert - (Chacara do Jockey, São Paolo) [HD] (22.03.2009)by Cleckesbco1,696 views
- 1:31:22 Kraftwerk interview - Triad Radio - 1975by Eyesdontblush2,630 views
- 1:00:09 Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene In Moscow 1997 (Full Concert)by Vient DeMe22,036 views
- 6:00 KRAFTWERK new song 2012 "Musique Electronique"by 2012klingklang223,318 views
- 44 videos Play all karl bartosby Matilda966
- 36:31 Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine (Full Album)by musicisprettyneat796,120 views
- 6:39 Kraftwerk: Radioactivity (No Nukes 2012, Tokio, Japan)by Miroslav Bolek563,997 views
- 33:34 Kraftwerk - Live - LATITUDE FESTIVAL 20 July 2013 - SOUTHWOLD (UK) (Radio 6 - Red button)by jerometv116,585 views
- 12:36 Pearl Jam with Neil Young - Rockin in the free world Toronto 2011 COMPLETEby ryderup522,525 views
- 5:52 Kraftwerk Interview Ralf Hütter BBC2 England 20090708 18:59 Culture Showby twingokraftwerk148,538 views
- 5:24 Karl Bartos (Kraftwerk) "Robots" High Quality (Live in Tallinn 2010)by vvproj7,199 views
- 3:42 Kraftwerk-The Model (Live At The Tate Modern London 09/02/2013)by David Towl124,352 views
- 11:56 Interview Karl Bartos @ m4music Festival 2010by digitalbrainstorming15,291 views
- 4:15 Elektric Music (Karl Bartos, ex-Kraftwerk) - Baby Come Back .wmvby mattpopfavourites16,480 views
- 2:17 Karl Bartos - Off The Record / Press Screening @ Robert Morat Galerie, Hamburgby bureaub4,707 views
- 38:54 Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe (Full album)by Vient DeMe376,357 views
- 31:02 Reggie Watts: A send-off in styleby poptech778,403 views
- Karl Bartos 18 videos556
- 1:07:28 Buddha Bar 2013by Chillout Lounge Music1,021,720 views