Deborah Gruenfeld: Power & Influence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 13, 2013
When people want to make an impression, most think a lot about what they want to say. Stanford Business Professor Deborah Gruenfeld cautions you to think twice about that approach. The factors influencing how people see you are surprising: Words account for 7% of what they take away, while body language counts for 55%. There is a body language of power. Gruenfeld introduces the body languages of authority and being approachable. Becoming fluent in matching body language to each situation can be a source of power and influence. Gruenfeld also shares leading social science research on the ways in which body language affects your psychology, in addition to influencing how others perceive you.
Deborah H Gruenfeld is the Moghadam Family Professor of Leadership and Organizational Behavior and the Codirector of the Executive Program for Women Leaders. She is a social psychologist whose research and teaching examine how people are transformed by the organizations and social structures in which they work. The author of numerous articles on the psychology of power, and on group behavior, Gruenfeld has taught popular courses on these and related topics to MBA students and executives at Stanford and at Northwestern University's J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management. Gruenfeld joined the Stanford Graduate School of Business in 2000.
Gruenfeld received her BA in psychology from Cornell University in 1983, her MA in journalism from New York University in 1985, and her PhD in psychology from the University of Illinois in 1993.
Read the discussion guide and find other resources at Stanford's Clayman Institute for Gender Research: http://gender.stanford.edu/power-infl...
Learn more about Deborah Gruenfeld: http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/users/deb...
Standard YouTube License
- 3:00 "Dil Tu Hi Bataa Krrish 3" Video Song | Hrithik Roshan, Kangana Ranautby T-Series Featured 5,142,350
- 24:36 Margaret Neale: Negotiation: Getting What You Wantby stanfordbusiness21,451 views
- 1:08:39 Conducting Effective Negotiationsby stanfordbusiness126,987 views
- 55:12 John Doerr: 700 Investments, 192 IPOs, 375,000+ Jobs Createdby stanfordbusiness14,967 views
- 8:11 Power: Why Some People Have It and Others Don'tby stanfordbusiness23,188 views
- 58:39 Power Posing How the Body Changes the Mind - Amy J.C. Cuddyby Lotfi GARZOUN26,200 views
- 1:05:56 Barbara Corcoran on Risk-Taking, Failure and How to Get Back Upby Entrepreneur37,429 views
- 14 videos Play all Continual Improvementby RodGonzaService
- 57:17 The 48 Laws of Power and Becoming a "Master," with Author Robert Greeneby TheLipTV120,478 views
- 11:51 Science Of Persuasionby influenceatwork1,432,764 views
- 9:38 Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.by TED2,016,420 views
- 1:00:38 (The Power of I-AM) Learn to use the most powerful words ever spoken!by MindPowerWords593,738 views
- 56:25 What Everybody Ought to Know About Body Languageby Rob Brinded29,700 views
- 8:31 Warren Buffett - How to Turn $40 into $5 Millionby WarrenBuffettBlog1,214,516 views
- 48:23 Carmine Gallo: Three Secrets All Inspiring Messages Shareby stanfordbusiness49,348 views
- 58:21 How to Build Instant Connectionsby StanfordUniversity12,083 views
- 1:14:09 What They Don't Teach in Business School about Entrepreneurshipby stanfordbusiness302,803 views
- 18:45 Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networksby TED106,918 views
- 1:05:56 Top 10 Mistakes Made by Entrepreneursby stanfordbusiness370,349 views
- 12:10 Influence PEOPLE - Powerful Everyday Opportunities to Persuade that are Lasting and Ethicalby Brian Ahearn8,307 views