UN: We still consider Gaza "occupied"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 24, 2012
http://www.unwatch.org At Jan. 19, 2012 daily press briefing, Martin Nesirky, Spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General, responded to UN Watch's earlier challenge as to why the UN persists in calling Gaza "occupied" when Hamas last week said it's not. Transcript follows below.
Question: Yesterday at the stakeout, Valerie Amos referred to, answering to a question about whether Gaza was occupied or not, she referred to a Palestinian occupied territory, meaning the West Bank and Gaza, implying that Gaza is not occupied. So I wanted to know, where does the UN stand on this question? Is Gaza occupied or not, according to the UN?
Spokesperson: Well, under resolutions adopted by both the Security Council and the General Assembly on the Middle East peace process, the Gaza Strip continues to be regarded as part of the Occupied Palestinian Territory. The United Nations will accordingly continue to refer to the Gaza Strip as part of the Occupied Palestinian Territory until such time as either the General Assembly or the Security Council take a different view.
Question: Can I follow up on that? It is the legal definition of occupation and why is Gaza considered occupied?
Spokesperson: Well, as I have just said, there are Security Council and General Assembly resolutions that cover this. For example, there was a Security Council resolution adopted on 8 January 2009 — 1860 — and that stressed that the Gaza Strip constitutes an integral part of the territory occupied in 1967. And as you know, Security Council resolutions do have force in international law. Furthermore, there is a resolution from the General Assembly from 20 December 2010, and while it noted the Israeli withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and parts of the northern West Bank, it also stressed, in quotes, "the need for respect and preservation of the territorial unity, contiguity and integrity of all of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem". So just to repeat that the United Nations will continue to refer to the Gaza Strip as part of the Occupied Palestinian Territory until either the General Assembly or the Security Council take a different view on the matter.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:02 Le documentaire qui n'a pas plu à Israel , France2 AIPAC Un oeil sur la planeteby DzWikileaksFeatured 564,137
- 1:05 You're Fired: U.N. Israel Hater Richard Falk Expelled from Human Rights Watchby HumanRightsUN 4,454 views
- 1:55 Indian TV: "Massive UN Watch Campaign Opposes Pakistan's U.N. Bid"by HumanRightsUN 584 views
- 3:21 U.N. Debate: Hillel Neuer Challenges UN Palestine Expert Richard Falkby HumanRightsUN 6,415 views
- 2:55 U.N. Day of Hate vs. Israel: Hillel Neuer Takes the Floorby HumanRightsUN 7,456 views
- 14:40 Clôture du Forum MEDays 2011by Institut Amadeus 8,828 views
- 2:15 Anonymous - Warns Israel and United States of America [HD]by CennetKapisi 1,579 views
- 25:14 UN launches emergency appeal for Gaza-Remember Palestine-01-28-2012by PressTVGlobalNews 746 views
- 35:11 Full Ahmadinejad Speech at UN Confernce on Anti-Racism | English | April 20, 2009by Halomaster7 83,172 views
- 5:24 Victor Borge - Hungarian Rhapsodyby bo9agr 261,776 views
- 1:06:42 TalkingStickTV - Richard Falk - The Economic, Legal and Moral Costs of Warby talkingsticktv 359 views
- 3:01 Palestine before 1948by Goliath Philistines 257,919 views
- 0:34 Sinck - Lies Parents Tell their Children (Caribbean Comedy)by GingerCandyComedy 4,974 views
- 9:18 The High School Conspiracy (Official Short Film)by BboyElude 1,713 views
- 17:03 Israël un Etat raciste ?by TheEuropeIsrael 6,666 views
- 6:06 Who do the territories belong to?by Lisa Liel 51,639 views
- 2:24 UN Convoy attacked in Libya's Benghaziby PressTVGlobalNews 1,051 views
- 24:33 Gaza will not be "livable" by 2020: UN estimatesby PressTVGlobalNews 793 views
- 6:17 Israel Palestinian Conflict: The Truth About the West Bankby DannyAyalon 674,057 views
- 2:42 EUJS Speech at the UN during the Item 7 for Israel by Adam Briscoeby EUJS2010 1,571 views