Travel Richmond, Virginia: Monument Ave - Stonewall Jackson statue
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 23, 2007
This video was taken during our fall vacation in Virginia on October 4, 2007. We decided to visit the capital of Virgina, a city with a metro area population of about 1.2 million people. Our drive from Massanutten was about 2 hours, and our first stop in the city was the Convention and Visitors Centre. We got decked out with all sorts of maps and brochures and I quickly video-interviewed one of the representatives of the tourism department to get an idea of the city.
I figured the best place to start the exploration would be right downtown near City Hall. Most of Richmond's downtown is made up of modern skyscrapers that are interspersed with a few historical buildings. The main sight in the area is of course the Capitol Building which we visited through its newly constructed underground entrance and exhibit area. I also checked out the Main Street Station, a historical railway station that has recently undergone a stunning renovation. We walked through Shockoe Slip, a neighbourhood of former tobacco warehouses from the Victorian era that have now been turned into lofts, retail stores and restaurants. We also walked down to the canal area, close to the James River, an area that has recently been undergoing a rejuvenation.
We also briefly drove across the James River to catch a great view of the downtown Richmond skyline and then headed west into a picturesque residential neighbourhood called "The Fan", so-called because the streets are laid out in a fan-shaped pattern. Our last stop was Carytown, a commercial strip in the city's west end with a variety of unique stores.
I am actually a travel writer who loves to explore international destinations as well as my chosen home town of Toronto. On Youtube you will find hundreds of video clips from a wide variety of destinations. Feel free to check out some of my 700+ articles and interviews on http://www.travelandtransitions.com. Also, my travel e-books containing stories from my trips to destinations such as Sicily, Havana, Mexico City, New York City, Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Halifax and many others are available right now at http://www.travelandtransitions.com/e....
Standard YouTube License
- 2:17 Welcome to Richmondby mlsimonsFeatured 1,862
- 1:33 Travel Richmond, VA: Drive through Carytown shopping areaby travelandtransitions 21,157 views
- 1:12 Travel Richmond, VA: Cool renovated warehouses - Shockoe Slipby travelandtransitions 2,575 views
- 1:11 Travel Richmond, VA: Driving down Monument Avenueby travelandtransitions 2,144 views
- 1:58 Travel Richmond, VA: Stately homes flanking Monument Avenueby travelandtransitions 3,272 views
- 5:06 Norfolk Virginia Downtown VAby NorfolkRealEstate 2,778 views
- 14:10 Kevin Lemons in Richmond VA 1-7-11by jamea3 13,280 views
- 1:10 Travel Richmond, Virginia: Downtown Richmond from bridgeby travelandtransitions 15,524 views
- 7:03 Richmond, VA, US - Part 1by OurTripVideos 6,943 views
- 1:07 Travel Richmond Virginia: City Hall at 9th & Marshallby travelandtransitions 1,474 views
- 4:09 Chalk the Police - Richmond, VAby meg mclain 5,764 views
- 1:38 Travel Richmond, VA: Old City Hall and rear of Capitol Bldgby travelandtransitions 1,420 views
- 4:04 A Tribute To Lieutenant General Stonewall Jacksonby ConfederateSoilder 42,369 views
- 13:29 The Hour: Engelbert Humperdinckby CBCtv 43,968 views
- 2:35 OTB's Videos InDastreets Richmond Va Hillside southsideby youngpulla20007 65,474 views
- 2:24 A Look at Richmond, VA...The River cityby Lark Logan 10,039 views
- 5:31 C-SPAN's LCV Profile: Monument Avenueby CSPAN 406 views
- 2:13 Stonewall Jackson That's Why I'm Walkinby TronconesAmigo 111,835 views
- 15:00 WASHINGTON DC / ARLINGTON VA , USA - WALKING TOUR - 2011 - HD 1080Pby GlobeTrotterAlpha 42,610 views
- 10:18 Austin Texas - 6th Street!by RogyPro 79,515 views
- Loading more suggestions...