Saving Lives at Birth: Prenatal calcium to prevent preeclampsia and preterm birth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2011
The Hospital for Sick Children
Problem: Hypertensive diseases of pregnancy (HDP) and preterm birth (PB) are major causes of maternal and newborn death, particularly in rural settings where access to emergency obstetric and neonatal care is limited.
Challenge: Prenatal calcium supplementation is a simple, low-cost intervention that could reduce maternal HDP-related mortality by 20% and PB by 24%. Yet, this seemingly simple intervention, prenatal calcium supplementation, has not been transitioned to scale because of unresolved technical challenges, including calcium-iron interactions, bulk and absorbability of supplemental calcium, and low adherence to prenatal tablet-based supplement regimens.
Innovation: We propose to develop a novel once-daily microencapsulated micronutrient powder containing iron, folic acid, and calcium (Prenatal Sprinkles) to overcome barriers to the integration of calcium into prenatal care in developing countries. If successful, our innovation -- "differential time-release microencapsulation" -- will mask the taste of iron and the gritty tongue-feel of calcium, and facilitate differential iron and calcium absorption.
Amenability to 'integrated innovation': We anticipate that novel once-daily Prenatal Sprinkles will be an effective means to supply supplemental calcium (and iron-folic acid) to pregnant women in rural settings, without causing adverse effects on iron absorption, thereby setting the stage for transition-to-scale efforts addressing community effectiveness, supply chain logistics, and demand creation. We have existing partnerships with the private sector in North America and internationally that will eventually enable the manufacturing of our new product in a timely fashion at the right price. As importantly, continuing collaborations with private and NGO sectors will facilitate market expansion, demand generation and international scale-up.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:19 Iron Absorption on a Vegan Dietby Running Raw Featured 12,030
- 8:13 Preterm Birth: Causes, Consequences and Treatment Part 2by ShoreMedicalCenter497 views
- 8:38 Prenatal Exercises in Prevention of Pre-eclampsia Part1by BenteKwatroLSC598 views
- 4:34 BPA Kills Human Placenta Cellsby clarkchiro389 views
- 8:53 ¿Qué es la Preeclampsia? (METVC)by CanalTVC7,511 views
- 18:02 Pre-Eclampsia-More than Pregnancy Induced Hypertensionby mamasonbedrest296 views
- 12:01 jugo para la presion arterial y el colesterol.by Cocinemosjuntos.com198,877 views
- 8:37 Preclampsia y Eclampsia,qué es y cómo se trata?!♥ Embarazo y mucho masby Embarazoymuchomas3,347 views
- 7:44 Aula 10 A pré eclâmpsiaby J .MS26,613 views
- 8:31 If Only We Knew - The Quest to Conquer Preeclampsiaby jthomasviall12,016 views
- 7:22 An Introduction to the Preeclampsia Foundation, part 1 of 2by Preeclampsia Foundation442 views
- 10:04 1. Gestational Hypertension and Preeclampsiaby Approach2OBGYN263 views
- 8:37 The Charlena Gary Show - HIV+ Teen Pregnancy Preeclampsiaby MsChiWhiz532 views
- 14:41 VIDEO RESUMEN SOBRE LA HIPERTENSIÓN ARTERIALby Marcelo Moreno9,387 views
- 2:44 Qué es la preeclampsia en el embarazo?by Mamitips Perú2,255 views
- 7:49 32 week Preeclampsia Preemie & UT Preeclampsia Awareness Walkby cindyh200739,112 views
- 6:30 Effects of Chronic Hypertension in Pregnancy with Super-Imposed Pre-Eclampsiaby TheAnatomyVideos501 views
- 7:49 A Specialists Overview of Pre-eclampsia Part 1by michaeljrich9,909 views
- 4:45 ¿COLESTEROL Y PRESIÓN ALTA? AJOS!by Plantas Medicinales de Roylenis164,384 views
- 24:20 Hemochromatosis made easy for USMLEby ftplectures11,041 views
- Loading more suggestions...