Tuskegee Airman Lt. Calvin J. Spann @ The Allen Public Library
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 21, 2011
July 14, 2011 - Allen Public Library Civic Auditorium
Tuskegee Airman Lt. Calvin Spann discusses the rigorous training at the Tuskegee University Moton Airfield, aerial campaigns during World War II that included traversing the treacherous Alps, and encountering the then-newly-invented German weapon—the jet aircraft. Question and answer period follows lecture.
In 1943, Calvin J. Spann left Rutherford High School to go into the Army Air Corps to start aviation cadet training. Calvin's high school graduation was the next month. His sister Carolyn was there to accept his diploma.
Mr. Spann's orders sent him to Kessler Field, Mississippi; when he arrived he was informed that the Army Air Corps did not train Black cadets. A week later, he was sent to Tuskegee, Alabama for the Cadet training. Calvin Spann received his wings at Tuskegee, graduating in Class 44G.
His next station of duty was Walterboro, South Carolina. There he trained in the P-47 (Thunderbolt) for combat and overseas duty. At the completion of training Lieutenant Spann was sent to Italy as a replacement combat pilot and given an instruction manual to fly the P51 Mustang. He became a member of the 100th Fighter Squadron, a part of the 332nd Fighter Group under the command of Col. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr. Lt. Spann flew 26 combat missions before the end of the war in Europe and terminated his tour of duty in Italy.
After returning to the United States, he was stationed at Lockbourne Army Air Base, Columbus, Ohio. Lt. Spann was separated from active duty here, in 1946. Lt. Spann made several attempts to seek employment with commercial airlines. He was denied a career in the industry just as his comrades he served side by side with due to racial discrimination. Lt. Spann remained in the Air Force Reserves until 1961 when he was honorably discharged.
On February 28, 2006 the United States Congress approved the bill sponsored by Rep. Charles B. Rangel, (Dem.-NY), to honor the Tuskegee Airmen with the Congressional Gold Medal and on March 27, 2006, the United States Senate passed legislation, sponsored by Sen. Carl Levin (Dem.-MI), authorizing President Bush to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the Tuskegee Airmen. The Congressional Gold Medal was awarded to the Tuskegee Airmen on March 29, 2007 in the capitol rotunda in Washington, D.C. In May 2006 Spann received the degree, Doctor of Public Service from Tuskegee University, earning the distinguished title of Doctor. Dr. Spann has also been inducted into the Aviation Hall of Fame in New Jersey and in Texas.
Standard YouTube License
- 44:45 [S01E07] The Last Gunfighterby A Informative youtube channelFeatured 23,813
- 1:11:15 Allen Public Library - Jazz and Blues Festival 2010 - Part 1by Allen City Television 720 views
- 1:01:18 The E-Flat Porch Band at the Allen Public Libraryby AllenCityTV 753 views
- 55:26 Allen Public Library Presents: Texas Prairie Bluegrassby AllenCityTV 838 views
- 57:33 The Jim Shannon Quartet at the Allen Public Libraryby AllenCityTV 325 views
- 48 videos Play all BLACK HISTORYby phyllis740
- 22:13 Lt. Colonel William Holloman Tuskegee Airman P-51 Mustang Combat Pilot WWIIby POFmuseum 9,669 views
- 7:07 RED TAILS Return to Tuskegee AAF 2008by Leon E Frazier 7,607 views
- 11:58 THE BEAUTY WITHIN AFRICA Part 1: The Africa Media Doesn't Show Youby thotsins 45,276 views
- 2:08 Tuskegee Airmen honored in movieby WTNH's channel 1,725 views
- 14:40 Black Wings: African American Pioneersby airandspace 1,134 views
- 9:05 Tuskegee Airmen Red Tail P-51 Mustang Historyby The Veteran Tales Project 11,907 views
- 10:13 The Tuskegee Airmenby CTTV 34,076 views
- 2:23 Tuskegee Airmen- In their own words!!by DailynewzandNature 16,228 views
- 15:00 WW2: The Red Tails 1by The Collector 603 views
- 3:55 World War II- Red Tail Ceremony with Benjamin O. Davis Seniorby ArmyDiversity 4,486 views
- 28:19 Red Tailed Angels The Story of the Tuskegee Airmenby FDRLibrary 7,958 views
- 8:47 Being a Tuskegee Airman Part 1.mp4by socratic101 1,049 views
- 12:38 Dogfights Tuskegee Airmen (Part 2)by MilitaryAviation1 21,253 views
- 2:22 Air Force Association Salutes the Tuskegee Airmenby AirForceAssocHQ 16,957 views
- 2:21 Tuskegee Airman Share Story With Studentsby wbal 3,060 views
- Loading more suggestions...