'Out damn logo!' The Reclaim Shakespeare Company at the Roundhouse
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 28, 2012
Vote BP for worst Olympic sponsor!: www.greenwashgold.org
Last night (27th June 2012), to mark one month before the Olympics opening ceremony, a group of merry players known as the "Reclaim Shakespeare Company" took unexpectedly to the stage at the Roundhouse Theatre in Camden. Five minutes before a BP-sponsored Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) performance of The Comedy of Errors was due to begin, the actors performed a short Shakespeare-inspired piece. They challenged the RSC and the London Olympics over their decision to accept sponsorship from BP in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon drilling disaster and the company's decision to start extracting highly polluting and destructive tar sands oil in Canada.
The surprise performance coincided with a theatre outing for BP employees, which meant that a significant portion of the audience was made up of BP staff, making the pop-up protest especially embarrassing for the RSC.
This was the third such intervention by the Reclaim Shakespeare Company, the first two having taken place on the Royal Shakespeare Theatre stage in Stratford-upon-Avon. It came a week after Mark Rylance, one of the UK's leading actors, who is performing in the Olympic opening ceremony, expressed his concerns about BP's sponsorship of the Olympics and the Cultural Olympiad (of which the World Shakespeare Festival is part) on Radio 4's Today Programme.
The three actor-vists performed a three-minute sketch inspired by The Comedy of Errors, in which the narrator first meets a 'fine and worthy' patron of the arts, and then meets a 'noxious, treach'rous, belching, oily rogue' - who turn out to both be the same character, BP (sporting an impressive BP logo as a ruff). On discovering this, BP is accused of 'taking fair nature as his green-tinged guise' whilst 'with daring folly [he] burns the world.' The performance culminated with a call to action: 'Enough! No more! / Now is the summer of our discontent. / Out, damn logo!', with the narrator ripping the BP logo from her theatre programme. The audience were then encouraged to do the same.
To find out more, see www.bp-or-not-bp.org
Follow us on twitter: @ReclaimOurBard
Like us on Facebook: BP or not BP?
Standard YouTube License
- 14:38 Edinburgh and Beyond - Arnab Chandaby RichWriter 1,522 views
- 3:46 BP or not BP? The debut performance of the Reclaim Shakespeare Companyby William Shakespeare 3,132 views
- 2:57 Stage invaded at 'Romeo and Juliet in Baghdad' performance to challenge BP sponsorshipby William Shakespeare 444 views
- 2:37 Mark Rylance talks BP and arts sponsorship on The Marr Showby Liberate Tate 955 views
- 3:17 Canadian Minister and Shell embarrassed over tar sands at climate conferenceby notarsands 6,645 views
- 1:23 Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 3- Gag Reelby CBS Home Entertainment 9,632 views
- 2:19 Brent Spiner imitates Patrick Stewart... again.by HandandHook 813,565 views
- 1:41:08 Hamlet - The Royal Shakespeare Company - part. 1by estasiarte 107,823 views
- 1:10 Michael Crick: Best Bits On Newsnightby WOODDDDDDDYAMOVIES3 7,107 views
- 6:57 Patrick Stewart interview and lap - Top Gear - BBCby Top Gear 404,140 views
- 13:09 Doctor Who Deleted David Tennantby Michael Phiveson 10,117 views
- 6:45 Hamlet - David Tennant, Patrick Stewart, Penny Downie. Act 1, Scene 1.by JohnCartney's channel 169,498 views
- 6:05 David Tennant & Billie Piper In Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary - BBC Newsby OVER 400 SUBSCRIBERS!!!! 45,161 views
- 44:21 The Graham Norton Show S10E13 feat. Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Alan Davies, Ed Sheeranby sofamofa 186,176 views
- 5:18 Richard II 5.5 from Shakespeare's Globeby strangebrooch 55,114 views
- 9:47 Charlton Heston Mark Antony speech "Julius Caesar" (1970)by arikelman 13,300 views
- 9:02 Mark Rylance talking about "Jerusalem", on Newsnight, 29/09/11by pat kane 14,080 views
- 59:23 Central Saint Martins MA Fashion - London Fashion Week, Autumn/Winter 2012-2013 - Full Fashion Showby Charlie Romo 35,219 views
- 1:13 IRAN Olympics 2012by SSdeluxe1 20,162 views
- 9:53 Spill Children: The Untold Story of the BP Gulf Oil Disaster (Part 1)by OilFlorida 17,440 views
- Loading more suggestions...