Dov Hikind & Community Leaders Pushing To Report Sex Abuse Crimes
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2011
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — When it comes to child sex abuse, should silence be a crime?
The law in many states requires everyone — no matter who you are — to report it, but not in New York.
CBS 2's Lou Young reports has the exclusive story of two community leaders who want to change that right now.
Twenty years after he was molested, Pinney Taub still deals with the pain. The incident happened right in Borough Park under the nose of the community that was supposed to protect him.
"The abuser was my teacher," said Taub, adding the abuse lasted eight months and though others knew nobody spoke up.
Some are now demanding a law to require a call to police if a child is being abused. It would make silence itself a crime.
David Mandel is the director of Ohel, an interstate social service agency that caters to the Orthodox Jewish community.
"All individuals in all states should be required to report it, period. This is a good time to change the law," Mandel said.
Right now only 18 states require regular citizens to report child abuse to police when they are aware of it. New York and Connecticut are not among them.
Neither is Pennsylvania, where Joe Paterno met the letter of the law by telling only his employer about the alleged actions of assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.
Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind said the responsibility to report abuse needs to be expanded to everyone.
"The time of running away and hiding and shoving it under a rug is over and finished. All of us have a responsibility for each other," Hikind said.
When asked if silence is as bad as the abusive act itself, Taub said, "I would say worse. Yep. I will say worse."
Federal legislation has been introduced by Sen. Robert Casey of Pennsylvania that would make it a crime for any adult to knowingly look the other way.
Right now in most states only certain professions, like health, law enforcement, and social work are required to report child abuse.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:24 Sexual molestation among Jews and the Courts of Law of the Goyimby chonitin4,689 views
- 28:37 Darby Council Meeting 12-7-11 002.MOVby Paula Brown487 views
- 4:19 Very sad, young Jewish orthodox man kills himself over sexual abuseby chonitin7,071 views
- 5:12 What Famous Men Have To Say About Jews 3-3by THEJEWISHQUESTION21,605 views
- 1:57 Rabbi Nochum Rosenberg Named the 2008 Award Recipient -The Awareness Center, Inc.by TheAwarenessCenter4,610 views
- 29:01 Public Comment Part 2 Darby Council 12 21 11 Raised taxes Council President refused to answerby Paula Brown199 views
- 12:10 EDL attack in Tower Hamlets Channel S News reportsby Mizan Rahman12,872 views
- 10:34 Darby Council Meeting - Public Comment - Part 1 - P Brown - 12-21-11.MOVby Paula Brown236 views
- 10:04 TOTTENHAM RIOTS AND COMMENT - AFTER THE SHOOTING OF MARK DUGGAN (LONDON) 6-7-8/8/2011by indefilms333706 views
- 8:47 Anti-Zionist Neturei Karta sexually abuse their kidsby AlbanianPower112,603 views
- 7:28 "CODY Systems COBRA.net: Officer Safety First Information Sharing"by CodySystemsOfficial1,221 views
- 6:39 Coptic Christian girl being sexually abused to make her convert to Islamby leplopDre809,101 views
- 15:08 Gloucester Township Police- E-Ticketing Shared Services Press Conference 2-15-2012by Gloucester Township Police1,022 views
- 14:11 In 'Satmar' Custody (The Unspoken Abuse of Yemenite Jews) - Part 2/5by ibnyakub7771,858 views
- 6:30 OFFICER ROBERT A. LASSO PROCESSION 8-12-11by Dan Clerico3,606 views
- 3:11 United East End Demo 03/09/2011 - Islamic Forum of Europe Speechesby islamicforumeurope331 views
- 2:42 Anti Semitic Lecture Sparks Controversy At Brooklyn Collegeby JewsOnTelevision858 views
- 2:12 Assemblyman Dov Hikind Apologizes For Racists Purim Costumeby JewsOnTelevision248 views
- 59:20 The Honeymoon Murder (Crime Documentary)by ScienceChanneI199,771 views
- 2:04 Black Leaders Gather At City Hall To Call For Assemblyman Hikind Resignationby JewsOnTelevision1,046 views
- Loading more suggestions...