Bystander Effect - people watch girl being abducted
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 29, 2009
When there's only one person around in a situation, they're much more likely to lend assistance to people in need, whether it's to help pick up something they're dropped or something more important like warn them they're about to step into traffic, etc.
When there's a group of people, though, no one acts. They all expect someone else will do it, so no one volunteers or pauses.
This is honestly a chilling video to watch. I don't have kids but it catches my breath when the two men catch on that something's going on and without any verbal communication between them, only similar body language (ie their mutual movement in that direction) it's amazing to me that, while they're both intently watching the man they are approaching, there is a single second when they Both launch into action, again without communicating anything verbally, but something triggers the same response from both men. How fascinating! It reminds me of wild lions in Africa who are following their prey but something simultaneously all animals involved and they leap to action.
I'm teaching a Social Psychology class right now and am really getting intrigued by the idea of how we send and receive communication without speaking. What is it about that situation that influenced those men though others around them didn't bother? And what was it in that single second where they both jump into a run? Was it that the man let the girl's arm go and started to run off himself? It's amazing to me.
See what you think? I showed this to a fellow teacher who has two daughters. It's scary to think that people would pass. The girl int his video was doing everything right - yelling over and over "You're not my dad! Someone help me!" It didn't do her any good, did it?
Standard YouTube License
- 2:42 Kanye West's New Song Revealed, Eve Talks 'Lip Lock' - Rewind Urban (05-14-13)by RadioDotComFeatured 5,610
- 9:02 Man Lures Drunken Girl: What would you do?by greenclips 329,264 views
- 5:33 What would you do? Eldery Harrassed by Young Peopleby Berline48 442,690 views
- 8:11 WWYD? - Child With Autism Insulted By Customer!by mrduckbears20's channel 823,017 views
- 3:22 What Would You Do?: Children on a Leashby ABCNews 348,491 views
- 68 videos Play all Interviews, Talks and the Amazingness of Real Lifeby Heartbeat4Japan
- 8:40 'What Would You Do?': Shopping While Black 2by ScimmiaMonyet's channel 297,739 views
- 1:03 Beheading of an abused maid in saudi arabia.mp4by gunchurchtv 1,730,429 views
- 8:13 Missing Boy Found Alive After 2 Yearsby ABC News 741,484 views
- 1:29 !!FATHER SAVES 2-YEAR-OLD AFTER SHE SLIPPED AND FELL INTO NEW YORK'S EAST RIVER!!by NATURE'S BEAUTY 1,504,785 views
- 7:24 "What Would You Do?": Gas Theftby ABCNews 209,395 views
- 5:37 UFO ABDUCTION - Italian Woman Impregnated by Aliens 100% Real Footageby DISCL0SUR3 1,212,991 views
- 7:10 What Would You Do? Sikh being refused a job at a restaurantby Berline48's channel 363,957 views
- 4:32 What Would You Do?: The Cougar Tutorby ABC News
- 3:02 Greatest Prank Ever: Satan's Babyby WatchYourKlLLCAM 1,488,024 views
- 9:22 Hurting the Homelessby ABC News 623,918 views
- 11:34 The Halo Effect - Science of Attractionby Science of Attraction 683,662 views
- 0:45 Price IS Right Fail - Biggest Fail on Game Show- Price is .....WRONG!by Kurtis and Alex's Chanel 3,253,215 views
- 8:18 Baby Left in Car - Social Experimentby keenermarc 199,679 views
- 7:41 Open Minds to Birth: Episode 6 of 6by Childbirth Media Center 905,283 views
- 0:43 Teacher Nails Class Clownby Where Stupidity Happens 5,759,926 views
- Loading more suggestions...