Conservative Brain Vs. Liberal Brain - Study
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 29, 2010
New TYT Network channels: http://www.youtube.com/user/tytsports
New TYT Facebook Page(!): http://www.facebook.com/tytnation
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/theyoungturks
FREE Movies(!): http://www.netflix.com/tyt
Note: The above two links are for TYT sponsors.
Read Ana's blog and subscribe at:
TYT Network (new WTF?! channel): http://www.youtube.com/user/whatthefl...
Check Out TYT Interviews http://www.youtube.com
A study to be published next year at University College London suggests that conservative brains are structured differently than the brains of other people. The investigation, led by Geraint Rees, focused on 92 individuals in the U.K. -- 90 students and two members of Parliament.
Specifically, the research shows that people with conservative tendencies have a larger amygdala and a smaller anterior cingulate than other people. The amygdala -- typically thought of as the "primitive brain" -- is responsible for reflexive impulses, like fear. The anterior cingulate is thought to be responsible for courage and optimism. This one-two punch could be responsible for many of the anecdotal claims that conservatives "think differently" from others.
Since only adults were included in the investigation, researchers were unable to determine if cerebral physiology drives politics or if political beliefs change the brain. A previous University of California study suggests the former is possible, isolating a so-called "liberal gene" -- the neurotransmitter DRD4 -- responsible for an increased receptiveness to novel ideas.
Predictably, conservatives have jumped on both studies as an indication of their biological superiority. Across the right-leaning blogosphere and twitterverse, DRD4 was cited as the underlying cause of the "mental illness" known as liberalism; and some conservative tweeters have even tried to claim that the enlarged amygdala just means that conservatives "have bigger brains." Of course, the first claim begs the question, and the second ignores the shrunken anterior cingulate.
While the extent of the differences is still unclear, the biology of politics has begun to confirm that those differences are real.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:30 Wife Fakes Kidnapping To Test Husbandby The Young TurksFeatured 185,153
- 4:53 Liberal vs. Conservative Talk Show Hostsby TheYoungTurks 127,394 views
- 7:36 Glenn Beck Screaming At Callerby The Young Turks 1,142,505 views
- 6:34 The Fattest Place on Earthby TheYoungTurks 117,691 views
- 2:51 Florida Named Weirdest State In Americaby The Young Turks 31,399 views
- 4:32 The Difference Between Liberal and Conservativeby WideWorldOfWisdom 258,473 views
- 4:48 Liberals vs Conservativesby What You Ought To Know 163,462 views
- 7:35 How Liberals Argueby Y2KCIA 664,997 views
- 3:48 Morality Study Narrows Gap between Mind and Brainby wimsweden 6,423 views
- 2:39 Stuff Liberals Sayby Dan Joseph 498,970 views
- 19:14 Jonathan Haidt: The moral roots of liberals and conservativesby TEDtalksDirector 168,533 views
- 12:47 Meet the Liberal Elite!by Battlefield315 251,673 views
- 7:04 Ann Coulter Calls MSNBC Host 'Retarded'by TheYoungTurks 247,575 views
- 4:37 Bill O'Reilly: Jesus Vs The Poorby The Young Turks 87,787 views
- 8:03 Study Proves Liberals Are Smarter Than Conservativesby golefttv 4,113 views
- 5:34 Woman Sues Cincinatti Bengals Over Drunk Fansby TheYoungTurks 18,316 views
- 6:27 Bill O'Reilly PWNS two hippie liberalsby liberalshateamerica3 105,834 views
- 4:49 Who favors more freedom, liberals or conservatives?by LearnLiberty.org 61,241 views
- 6:27 Is President Obama a Native American? Conspiracy Theory!by The Young Turks 52,121 views
- 4:18 Drinking Makes You Conservative? (Study)by TheYoungTurks 31,128 views
- Loading more suggestions...