Solar Panel Construction Time Lapse at the Natural History Museum of Utah (NHMU) in SLC S Power
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 20, 2012
In December of 2011 I was commissioned to do a time lapse film of the solar panel installation at the brand new Natural History Museum of Utah in Salt Lake City by green energy company, S Power (http://www.spower.com).
This film was shot during all of December; only taking one single day off, Christmas (but only because my mom would have been mad at me if I didn't). I woke up every morning at 7 am, and worked until I went to sleep at 1 am. I shot over 40,000 images with three cameras (5Dmkii, 60D, 40D) for this project, which initially took up an entire 1TB hard drive in RAW format (it's bigger now due to post processing files).
The NHMU is a five story building with many different roofing levels. Since temperatures were as low as 12 degrees Fahrenheit we wound up "skiing" down the many inclines. The first week of shooting was complete and total white out. The Salt Lake City basin is a valley surround by mountains, and as such it is often filled with a mixture of fog and smog, which hovers over the valley until a storm comes to clear it out. These types of conditions can go on for months at a time. Luckily, a storm came along, and I got one single day of clear skies to shoot, another day with mostly clear skies, and then the fog came right back!
I want to thank Rob Adams at S Power for hiring me, assisting me on the shoot and most of all for believing in me (oh! and for getting his brother to lend us his 5D). I also would like to thank eMotimo (http://www.eMotimo.com) for their sponsorship on this project. And of course the NHMU and its staff for being such an inspiring place to work, and for being gracious hosts.
I used the following lenses on this project: Canon 16-35mm ii f2.8, 14mm f2.8, T/S 24mm, EF-S 10-22mm, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. I used the following motion control gear: eMotimo PT, Dynamic Perception 6ft Slider Dolly system.
Selected clips from this film are available for licensing. Please contact me through my website, http://www.Jeff-Frost.com, or through my facebook page listed above for availability.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:13:46 Brian Switek: My Beloved Brontosaurus Lecture -- Natural History Museum of Utahby Natural History Museum of Utah393 views
- 29:20 Homemade Solar Panels Diy tutorial, complete buildby kurtscottage215,396 views
- 4:28 Flawed Symmetry of Prediction #mocatvuploadby Jeff Frost99,116 views
- 12:17 Wind: An Energy Alternative - Full Length Documentary Movieby Manic Movies132 views
- 14:59 CONSTRUIR UN PANEL SOLAR FOTOVOLTAICO EN CASA SOLDAR CELDAS SOLARES DIY SOLAR PANEL TABBING CELLSby MR WATT S.R.L.214,194 views
- 8:22 Plywood electric boatby Paul Elkins244,468 views
- 48:20 Solar Power Revolution - Here Comes The Sun -- Documentaryby GlobalClimateNews170,662 views
- 14:08 12 Corazones - 12 Corazones / Especial de Princesas y Príncipes (1/5) / Telemundoby Telemundo Entretenimiento65,187 views
- 11 videos Play all Solar Powerby dougp01
- 9:50 Heating Seattle backyard studio with soda cans as solar panelsby Kirsten Dirksen147,633 views
- 36:22 12 Corazones/Especial Playeroby CalifasEnterprise1,142,917 views
- 16:07 12 Corazones - 12 Corazones / Especial de Policías y Ladrones (1/5) / Telemundoby Telemundo Entretenimiento348,694 views
- 10:02 "Driving Passion" - A COMPLETE History of the American Automobile, part 1 of many!!!by MyTVcollection11,868 views
- 5:27 RJ Cyr Solar Farm Installationby Toria M2,039 views
- 3:21 Henkels & McCoy - Solar Field - Time-Lapseby HenkelsMcCoyVideo1,896 views
- 6:33 Como hacer un panel solar casero - Como hacer un panel solar en casaby ipecsolar377,900 views
- 12:48 Jamie Hyneman's Electric Outboard Boat Motorby Tested163,654 views
- 12:50 PANEL SOLAR TERMICO CASEROby Josep Castells1,596,597 views
- 3:56 New Electric Boat - A 32 Foot Torqeedo Powered Catamaran: The Blue Planet 32Eby John Pritchard225,429 views
- 25:05 How to Solar Power Your Home / House #1 - On Grid vs Off Gridby mjlorton292,051 views