Matt Taibbi: After Laundering $800 Million in Drug Money, How Did HSBC Execs Avoid Jail?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 13, 2012
DemocracyNow.org - The banking giant HSBC has escaped indictment for laundering billions of dollars for Mexican drug cartels and groups linked to al-Qaeda. Despite evidence of wrongdoing, the U.S. Department of Justice has allowed the bank to avoid prosecution and pay a $1.9 billion fine. No top HSBC officials will face charges, either. We're joined by Rolling Stone Contributing Editor Matt Taibbi, author of "Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History." "You can do real time in jail in America for all kinds of ridiculous offenses," Taibbi says. "Here we have a bank that laundered $800 million dollars of drug money and they can't find a way to put anybody in jail for that? That sends an incredible message, not just to the financial sector, but to everybody. It's an obvious, clear double standard where one set of people gets to break the rules as much as they want and another set of people can't break any rules at all without going to jail."
To watch the entire weekday independent news hour, read the transcript, download the podcast, search our vast archive, or to find more information about Democracy Now! and Amy Goodman, visit http://www.democracynow.org.
Democracy Now!, an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on 1,100+ TV and radio stations Monday through Friday.
FOLLOW DEMOCRACY NOW! ONLINE:
Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/democracynow
Listen on SoundCloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/democracynow
Daily Email News Digest: http://www.democracynow.org/subscribe
Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today, visit http://www.democracynow.org/donate/YT
Standard YouTube License
- 4:29 Teen Drug Dealer Makes $20k A Monthby TheYoungTurksFeatured 130,680
- 16:26 Matt Taibbi & William Black on Bailout Secrets & How New Foreclosure Deal Spares Banks From Justiceby democracynow 7,922 views
- 21:40 Matt Taibbi: The Secret to Mitt Romney's Fortune? Greed, Debt and Forcing Others to Pay Billby democracynow 11,962 views
- 11:45 Matt Taibbi: LIBOR Rate-Fixing Scandal "Biggest Insider Trading You Could Ever Imagine"by democracynow 12,582 views
- 13:18 Dean Baker: The Biggest Myth in Obama-GOP Spending Showdown is the "Fiscal Cliff" Itselfby democracynow 2,864 views
- 17:06 After Laundering $800 Million in Drug Money, How Did HSBC Executives Avoid Jailby phrygian20 6,930 views
- 11:13 Largest Money Laundering Fine Ever! Digging Deeper into HSBC - Stuff They Don't Want You to Knowby ConspiracyStuff 14,334 views
- 26:58 Bill Moyers, Matt Taibbi and Yves Smith on Big Banksby MoyersandCompany 49,939 views
- 9:12 HSBC Under Investigation for Laundering Billions! Dr. Jerome Corsi Reports 1/2by TheAlexJonesChannel 21,127 views
- 2:39:23 Offshore Banks & Money Launderingby DisclosureBubble 1,627 views
- 22:53 Matt Taibbi on Democracy Now!: Bank of America Fraudby 911operationgladio 2,195 views
- 15:20 Matt Taibbi on Big Bank's Lack of Accountabilityby MoyersandCompany 2,902 views
- 10:19 What is money laundering? - MoneyWeek Investment Tutorialby MoneyWeekVideos 27,156 views
- 30:05 Bankers Launder Billions in Drug Money, Get Slap on Wrist (w/ Matt Taibbi)by SamSeder 7,544 views
- 23:19 Freedom to Connect: Aaron Swartz (1986-2013) on Victory To Save Open Internet, Fight Online Censorsby democracynow 5,454 views
- 9:08 Matt Taibbi on Real Time with Bill Maherby douge1125 5,432 views
- 16:16 After Rebuff by Clinton, Actor Peter Coyote Hopes to Sway Obama on Leonard Peltier Clemencyby democracynow 1,499 views
- 2:21 HSBC apologises over money laundering lapsesby AlJazeeraEnglish 5,047 views
- 10:07 Do Americans Think We Face Tyranny?by wearechange 101,402 views
- 7:14 John Cruz HSBC Fraud Interview Part 1by WorldBankingFraud 3,249 views
- Loading more suggestions...